UK/US price differences

gingernut9999

Hi, 

I know we all know prices differ from region to region, but how do you think Cunard justifies such a massive price difference as this?

QV, V922, 14 nights, 6 Sept 2019, Q4, no flights included in either price:

-UK Cunard website £13,409 (about $17,218)

-US Cunard website $9,299 

(Both prices as of yesterday)

19 minutes ago, gingernut9999 said:

Hi, 

I know we all know prices differ from region to region, but how do you think Cunard justifies such a massive price difference as this?

QV, V922, 14 nights, 6 Sept 2019, Q4, no flights included in either price:

-UK Cunard website £13,409 (about $17,218)

-US Cunard website $9,299 

(Both prices as of yesterday)

Plus Cunard are offering Black Friday deals of free gratuities/free drinks under $12 if you book a Grill Suite. I have been a long campaigner about the better offers/prices offered to the US than those in the UK and spoken to Cunard many times on their Facebook page with the same corporate answer. I was waiting to see if Cunard UK offered any Black Friday deals equivalent or similar to those offered in UK before booking a Grill suite for Summer 2019 but sadly not. After browsing the internet at other 6 star lines that include drinks/gratuities and some other benefits in their advertised price by the time you take Cunard Grill price add gratuities and drinks they became very competitive so my business went elsewhere away from Cunard. I suggest others do the same.

One possibility is this is a case of Cunard's pricing algorithms gone awry for this particular category Q4 in light of it being the only grills category still available on this voyage (in either Princess or Queens) with only three cabins left.

By the way, the Q4 fare has just gone up to $10,002 + 112.44 taxes and fees = $10,114.44 in the US today. Still a massive difference compared to the UK price, but just mentioning that to show how the fares are in flux. Also, keep in mind the UK fare is offering $275 onboard spend for a Q4 while the US fare offers no onboard spend (admittedly just a tiny help in this case).

When I check other categories on this same voyage, the US and UK fares are more in line with one another. In the case of Oceanview category FC, the fares happen to be considerably in favor of the UK at the moment.

UK Cunard website: FC = £2,849 (about $3,660) - $90 onboard spend = $3,570

US Cunard website: FC = $4,859 + 112.44 taxes and fees = $4,971.44

Edited by bluemarble

45 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

One possibility is this is a case of Cunard's pricing algorithms gone awry for this particular category Q4 in light of it being the only grills category still available on this voyage (in either Princess or Queens) with only three cabins left.

By the way, the Q4 fare has just gone up to $10,002 + 112.44 taxes and fees = $10,114.44 in the US today. Still a massive difference compared to the UK price, but just mentioning that to show how the fares are in flux. Also, keep in mind the UK fare is offering $275 onboard spend for a Q4 while the US fare offers no onboard spend (admittedly just a tiny help in this case).

When I check other categories on this same voyage, the US and UK fares are more in line with one another. In the case of Oceanview category FC, the fares happen to be considerably in favor of the UK at the moment.

UK Cunard website: FC = £2,849 (about $3,660) - $90 onboard spend = $3,570

US Cunard website: FC = $4,859 + 112.44 taxes and fees = $4,971.44

But how do you justify that if you book that suite or any other currently in the US you get free gratuities/drinks which we dont get in the UK which by anyones admission is a considerable sum. Sorry but got 3 cruises currently booked with Cunard but while this practice persists I will not be booking any more with Cunard.

54 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

But how do you justify that if you book that suite or any other currently in the US you get free gratuities/drinks which we dont get in the UK which by anyones admission is a considerable sum. Sorry but got 3 cruises currently booked with Cunard but while this practice persists I will not be booking any more with Cunard.

I didn't factor free gratuities/drinks into today's pricing comparisons since the specific voyage in question (V922) is not included in the "Black Friday" promotion nor is it included in the other "World of Adventure" sale currently going on in the US which offers free gratuities/drinks in the grills. But to be fair, voyage V922 was included in the recent "Three for All" promotion which expired yesterday and offered free gratuities in all grades plus free drinks in the grills.

I do agree with your basic premise that Cunard ought to be more equitable in terms of offering similar promotions worldwide.

Like most transportation these days, fares are demand based and change over time based on demand and supply. Cunard obviously believes there is more demand in the UK and they price accordingly. The consumer is free to buy or not at the price offered.  Same thing for airlines. 

55 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

The consumer is free to buy or not at the price offered.  Same thing for airlines. 

Indeed it is.  And if you want to buy a BMW or Audi you'll get four different prices for Germany, U.K., Canada and U.S.A.

I suppose I'd better not mention that the launch price of a BE balcony on V019 was just over £1000 less in the UK than in the US (ex taxes etc and flights). The current UK price is the same as at launch so I'm assuming the US price hasn't changed either. I imagine the combination of British Isles and Iceland is regarded as attractive to US customers but even so how can Cunard justify a 40% surcharge over the UK price?  🙂