Upset with Cunard

chrdo49

This is our second long cruise with  Cunard in January. Requested lowest inside cabin.This cruise was to celebrate 40 years. We 

Got an upgrade to 1c which is next to laundry and above theater where there is noise all the time. Read reviews on 4045. Not good! Platinum World members and this is how you are treated. Last time in09 we could pick ?our room. Absolute worst room on the ship.anyone else have a problem . Thinking ofcancellingandnever go on Cunard again

I can certainly understand your frustration. My wife and I celebrated our 40th anniversary on the QM2 two years ago. While it was a wonderful happy voyage, it was also an emotional and stressful preparation time since it was such a special occasion that we wanted to be perfect. However, looking at your particular situation objectively, you may be guilty of "no good deed goes unpunished". After all, Cunard is trying to give you an upgrade even if you don't see it that way. And if I'm not mistaken, didn't you have he option of blocking upgrades at the time of your booking? I know we did. Perhaps there were better inside cabins on higher decks but it seems like you did place an emphasis on "lowest" cabin. I'm now exactly sure what Platinum World status is but it sounds like you have sailed on Cunard a few times before and have had some enjoyable trips. Have you thought about contacting Cunard directly, as a loyal customer, and explaining the situation and seeing if something can be done? It would be a shame to walk away from something that has been enjoyable for you in the past for what I honestly think is a misunderstanding. In any case, happy 40th anniversary. 

• Like 3

They would not let us pick a room this time. We took the same category the first time and could pick a room. My travel agent is working on it. We were on 6 last time and it was great. Apparently the boat is full. We booked over a year ago. Did not have option of blocking upgrade. We were just told couldn't pick.

Sounds like you booked a guarantee stateroom. The main rule about a guarantee is that you will be assigned a stateroom in the guarantee category or any higher category and there really isn't recourse. On an assigned-stateroom booking you have the opportunity to indicate in advance that you do not wish to be upgraded.

With all due respect, it isn't Cunard you should be upset with.  Did you discuss your expectations or assumptions (to be able to pick your room) with your TA before booking?  A TA worth their salt should have explained what your were getting, and EVERY cruise needs a full review of terms and conditions before booking - rules change all the time.  And if you haven't traveled yet, then buy earplugs and consider how handy the laundry and theatre is for your use. We are responsible for how we react to things. I was near the theatres on another ship, and sure, the heavy bass entertainment could be heard but all was quiet by 10 p.m. Too often, satisfied customers don't right reviews; therefore, reviews are often skewed to the negative.

Edited by mef_57
  • Like 1

I wouldn't worry about being near the laundry - we were directly opposite the laundry door in April and heard nothing.

Far worse are "white space" areas, which are often crew areas with accompanying loud conversations and door banging at unearthly hours. Had that a month or so ago, but survived and had a wonderful time.

No idea what the noise from the theatre is like, but doubt it's "all the time". Finishes at around 11pm I would guess, and doesn't start until a reasonable time in the morning. 

As is often said on here, never book a guarantee at a level you will be unhappy with. Your loyalty status makes not one jot of difference.

I have never heard of anyone that could “pick” their guarantee cabin.  Guarantee cabin is usually dirt cheap because you are completely at their mercy.  I’m curious, what did the OP think Guarantee meant? 

If location was important to the original poster, they wouldn't have booked a guarantee cabin.  I'm sure Cunard will graciously offer to upsell them another cabin or upgrade someone else.  The TA should have explained the consequences of guarantee. 

In my experience, people using the laundries are very quiet.  They seem to speak in lower tones of voice, if at all.  It's not as if there is a group of youths standing outside waiting to rob the old folks washing their tighty whitey.

You mentioned in post #1 that you are World Club Platinum.  How do you sail 70 nights on Cunard and not know how their fare structures and guarantees work? 

You also told us in post #7 that they "would not let us pick" the cabin.  So you must have booked a promotional fare that offers only a category guarantee at that price.    Somewhere you decided that a good deal dollar-wise was worth the trade off of a category guarantee and lower priority for dining sitting. 

We have been on over 400 days of cruises. Always booked this way and have never had problem in fact has always been good. Just upset that we wanted to pick our room like we did last time and couldn't. Big investment so will deal with it. Upset with Cunard because had to call to get excursions book and itinerary and all I got was what I could have printed myself. Haven't gotten any documents yet. We have traveled extensively with Holland America and they are much more organized. Love the Queen Mary tho!

13 hours ago, frantic36 said:

How many days is this for? It sounds like you paid way to much for a regular cruise....especially at a guarantee price.

Julie

That had better be a very long cruise or perhaps a World Cruise Segment at least , to have paid that much for an Inside Guarantee ?

24 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

That had better be a very long cruise or perhaps a World Cruise Segment at least , to have paid that much for an Inside Guarantee ?

OP is signed up for the Southampton -> Dubai roll call.

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

New York round trip in 2019 is 108 nights

Thanks for letting me know Hattie. Well ,that is an excellent price for the amount of days sailed. 

I know on Seabourn with a guarantee you don't get to select the cabin you are given. Hence why guarantee price is cheaper.

Julie

On 11/21/2018 at 1:13 PM, orvil said:

If location was important to the original poster, they wouldn't have booked a guarantee cabin.  I'm sure Cunard will graciously offer to upsell them another cabin or upgrade someone else.  The TA should have explained the consequences of guarantee. 

In my experience, people using the laundries are very quiet.  They seem to speak in lower tones of voice, if at all.  It's not as if there is a group of youths standing outside waiting to rob the old folks washing their tighty whitey.

the hallway near the children's zone will get your attention in the morning .........like a stampede