Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Robroy

Pacific Coastal - Sojourn - Reviews/Experience?

Recommended Posts

My wife and I are looking at the Sojourn's Pacific Coastal October 2019 and are wondering about any experiences from posters who were on the 2018 or 2017 voyages? Always wanted to do the left Coast and the ports look very interesting.  We've most recently been on Regent and Silversea and Seabourn looks like it might be a good fit. Thanks for any help!

 

Cheers,

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on this last month, October 2018. We especially liked Victoria. It was a beautiful day there, and not crowded with tourists. There was a bus from the dock to downtown which ran very 30 minutes. Having been to Seattle many times, it wasn't much of interest, and the weather was typical Seattle in the Fall. San Francisco was lovely, but one thing which was not done well was clearing customs coming back in the US at San Francisco.  The issues was no one said the whole ship had to be empty before we could get back on. So those of us who were getting back onboard had to wait about 2 hours. That was somewhat inconvenient. The other two ports in California were sunny and pleasant. It's a good trip especially if you don't have far to travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your comments Alwaysonaship! These ports are all new to us with the exception of LA. October weather should be nice all along the coast. It will be much more pleasant starting in Vancouver and clearing customs on the ship versus the huge lineups at the airport in Toronto. The Sojourn looks like a lovely ship.  Appreciate your thoughts!

 

Cheers,

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did this as an extension of our Alaska cruise and it was excellent.  Our highlight of the trip was the cruise along the Columbia river to get to Portland. 

 

We lived in Seattle and the cruise terminal there is a short taxi ride to Pikes Place Market - a must see.  We ended our tip in LA and  planned a 3 day extension trip to NAPA post cruise but it NAPA burned down right before we got there - sadly.

 

DO IT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, raphael360 said:

We did this as an extension of our Alaska cruise and it was excellent.  Our highlight of the trip was the cruise along the Columbia river to get to Portland. 

 

We lived in Seattle and the cruise terminal there is a short taxi ride to Pikes Place Market - a must see.  We ended our tip in LA and  planned a 3 day extension trip to NAPA post cruise but it NAPA burned down right before we got there - sadly.

 

DO IT!

We did not cruise along the Columbia river nor go to Portland. Sounds nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, alwaysonaship said:

We did not cruise along the Columbia river nor go to Portland. Sounds nice.

 

Awww... that's to bad.  My son lives near Portland so that was our deciding factor to adding the Vancouver to Las Angeles leg to our Alaska cruise.  I don't think we stopped in Victoria though.

Edited by raphael360
SIC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 11/20/2018 at 5:42 PM, Robroy said:

My wife and I are looking at the Sojourn's Pacific Coastal October 2019 and are wondering about any experiences from posters who were on the 2018 or 2017 voyages? Always wanted to do the left Coast and the ports look very interesting.  We've most recently been on Regent and Silversea and Seabourn looks like it might be a good fit. Thanks for any help!

 

Cheers,

Rob

 

My husband and I are booked on that Pacific Coastal  cruise October 2019.  We have only been on Silversea and excited about Seabourn, it seems like it will be a good fit for us as well.  I am researching the highlights of each port and they all sound fantastic.  Looking for any input from anyone.  Did you book yet Rob?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for the information. We ended up booking a Pacific Coastal with Crystal however which sails in June next year out of San Francisco and up the coast ending in Vancouver. Since San Francisco was the major draw for us and this cruise offers an overnight in both San Francisco and Vancouver, that became the deciding factor. We'll have to wait to try Seabourn another time. Hope you have a great trip!

 

Cheers,

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

my my friend and I took this pacific coastal last October and absolutely loved it.  The weather starting out in Vancouver can be a bit on the chilly side but continued t warm up The farther south you get.  We stayed two nights in Vancouver pre cruIse at the Westin and I would highly recommend for beautiful waterfront location, free bicycle rentals to easily peddle to Stanley Island, and withIn a 20 min. Walk to cruise port.  We bought a tour to Capilano Bridge and again it’s a do not miss, only $37 per person when includes bus and entrance fees from a nearby hotel stop.  In Seattle we went to the Chuilly Glass Museum and it was jaw dropping.  Then took the monorail to the end of the line, walked around town and then down to Pikes Market.  Weather was a bit chilly and damp, again dress in layers.  Lots of options but this is what we choose.  In Victoria we took the ships shuttle to downtown and outside the Fairmont Hotel is a kiosk where for $57 we purchased tickets and transportation to Buchart Gardens, another don’t miss spot.  Then coming back from town walked along the waterfront all the way back to the ship, a lovely stroll and even saw an otter in the bay.  In San Francisco so many options can’t list them all.  My friend and I walked for over 12 miles that day and covered a lot of territory including Fisherman’s Wharf, Pier 39 with its famous abundant seals, a cable car ride, Chinatown and much more.  In Monterey we opted to take a public bus (around $2 one way) very near the port to Big Sur, an almost magical place.  We went down to the beach, then strolled the lovely streets and all the shops, and followed a map to some adorable cottages that looked like they came back out of Hansel and Gretle.  Back to Monterey and walked along the waters edge with lots of frisky otters frolicking, I could have stayed there for hours.  In Santa Barbara we rented bicycles in the morning and explored and did a ships kayak excursion in the afternoon, all very enjoyable.  After I told my husband what a good time we had he as said he wants to do it with me this year, so we just might be on it again.  The California Gold Coast is truly priceless.  Hope this has been of some help.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 2:00 PM, airtana said:

Hi,

 

my my friend and I took this pacific coastal last October and absolutely loved it.  The weather starting out in Vancouver can be a bit on the chilly side but continued t warm up The farther south you get.  We stayed two nights in Vancouver pre cruIse at the Westin and I would highly recommend for beautiful waterfront location, free bicycle rentals to easily peddle to Stanley Island, and withIn a 20 min. Walk to cruise port.  We bought a tour to Capilano Bridge and again it’s a do not miss, only $37 per person when includes bus and entrance fees from a nearby hotel stop.  In Seattle we went to the Chuilly Glass Museum and it was jaw dropping.  Then took the monorail to the end of the line, walked around town and then down to Pikes Market.  Weather was a bit chilly and damp, again dress in layers.  Lots of options but this is what we choose.  In Victoria we took the ships shuttle to downtown and outside the Fairmont Hotel is a kiosk where for $57 we purchased tickets and transportation to Buchart Gardens, another don’t miss spot.  Then coming back from town walked along the waterfront all the way back to the ship, a lovely stroll and even saw an otter in the bay.  In San Francisco so many options can’t list them all.  My friend and I walked for over 12 miles that day and covered a lot of territory including Fisherman’s Wharf, Pier 39 with its famous abundant seals, a cable car ride, Chinatown and much more.  In Monterey we opted to take a public bus (around $2 one way) very near the port to Big Sur, an almost magical place.  We went down to the beach, then strolled the lovely streets and all the shops, and followed a map to some adorable cottages that looked like they came back out of Hansel and Gretle.  Back to Monterey and walked along the waters edge with lots of frisky otters frolicking, I could have stayed there for hours.  In Santa Barbara we rented bicycles in the morning and explored and did a ships kayak excursion in the afternoon, all very enjoyable.  After I told my husband what a good time we had he as said he wants to do it with me this year, so we just might be on it again.  The California Gold Coast is truly priceless.  Hope this has been of some help.  

 

Hi!  My friend and I are booked for this trip in October!  Thanks for your input!  Did you do any other of the ships excursions?  (FYI - We live in Suwanee/Johns Creek)!  Love Seabourn!!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Georgia Girl and Airtana: I live almost half way between in North Milton. I agree with your sentiments completely regarding Seabourn and the left coast. I love Vancouver, Seattle, Monterey and Portland - enjoy, I’m currently trying to figure our our next trip, but I think that I’ll have to wait until 2020. Jdk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 2:00 PM, airtana said:

Hi,

 

my my friend and I took this pacific coastal last October and absolutely loved it.  The weather starting out in Vancouver can be a bit on the chilly side but continued t warm up The farther south you get.  We stayed two nights in Vancouver pre cruIse at the Westin and I would highly recommend for beautiful waterfront location, free bicycle rentals to easily peddle to Stanley Island, and withIn a 20 min. Walk to cruise port.  We bought a tour to Capilano Bridge and again it’s a do not miss, only $37 per person when includes bus and entrance fees from a nearby hotel stop.  In Seattle we went to the Chuilly Glass Museum and it was jaw dropping.  Then took the monorail to the end of the line, walked around town and then down to Pikes Market.  Weather was a bit chilly and damp, again dress in layers.  Lots of options but this is what we choose.  In Victoria we took the ships shuttle to downtown and outside the Fairmont Hotel is a kiosk where for $57 we purchased tickets and transportation to Buchart Gardens, another don’t miss spot.  Then coming back from town walked along the waterfront all the way back to the ship, a lovely stroll and even saw an otter in the bay.  In San Francisco so many options can’t list them all.  My friend and I walked for over 12 miles that day and covered a lot of territory including Fisherman’s Wharf, Pier 39 with its famous abundant seals, a cable car ride, Chinatown and much more.  In Monterey we opted to take a public bus (around $2 one way) very near the port to Big Sur, an almost magical place.  We went down to the beach, then strolled the lovely streets and all the shops, and followed a map to some adorable cottages that looked like they came back out of Hansel and Gretle.  Back to Monterey and walked along the waters edge with lots of frisky otters frolicking, I could have stayed there for hours.  In Santa Barbara we rented bicycles in the morning and explored and did a ships kayak excursion in the afternoon, all very enjoyable.  After I told my husband what a good time we had he as said he wants to do it with me this year, so we just might be on it again.  The California Gold Coast is truly priceless.  Hope this has been of some help.  

 

Thank you so much for all of the information Airtana.  So excited to start booking some excursions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 8:40 AM, Georgiagirl1204 said:

 

Hi!  My friend and I are booked for this trip in October!  Thanks for your input!  Did you do any other of the ships excursions?  (FYI - We live in Suwanee/Johns Creek)!  Love Seabourn!!!  

Hi Georgia Girl, 

i love Seabourn too, and are boarding the Encore (first time on larger ships) in April from Bali to Singapore, so excited and can’t wait.  I am celebrating my 70th brithday on the trip.  And it’s looks like we live fairly close to you in Marietta.  To answer your question, the only ships excursion we took was a kayaking one in Santa Barbara which we thoroughly enjoyed.  Everything else we did on our own, fairly easily.  Since I went with a girlfriend and had such s wonderful time, my hubby has expressed an interest in going so we may just book it again this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...