Found item on Navigator of the Seas cabin 8218

LHC1962

Hello all

I found an item that had slipped under the lining of the safe on our last day. I did not have time to hand it into guest services - and to be honest, thought it was costume. 

The cabin number was 8218.  We were on the last October  med sailing before the transatlantic. 

Item could have been there for some time! 

I have now found it is definitely not costume and need to return it to the owner. 

Its a long shot....

if you think it might be yours please contact me.

many thanks 

41 minutes ago, LHC1962 said:

Hello all

I found an item that had slipped under the lining of the safe on our last day. I did not have time to hand it into guest services - and to be honest, thought it was costume. 

The cabin number was 8218.  We were on the last October  med sailing before the transatlantic. 

I have now found it is definitely not costume and need to return it to the owner. 

Its a long shot....

many thanks 

Welcome to cruise critic.  Get prepared for the barrage of comments that usually follow after posts similar to yours.

1 hour ago, LHC1962 said:

Hello all

Its a long shot....

many thanks 

Also try the Roll Call for the previous sailing.

2 hours ago, LHC1962 said:

Hello all

Its a long shot....

many thanks 

How can you not have time to hand it over to ship's personnel (Guest services, room steward, ships officer) ?

Now the person who lost it has just about zero chance of getting it back.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Welcome to cruise critic.  Get prepared for the barrage of comments that usually follow after posts similar to yours.

Hey!  Thanks and yes, I was expecting to be flamed. 

Will accept the comments in the hope I somehow get this item back to its owner. 

Edited by LHC1962

6 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Did you try calling RCI lost and found? Someone may have reported it missing.

Yes, I have been in touch with RCI.

They have had no reports of this item being reported missing.  They advised me not to post it to them which I offered to do.  They have taken a description of the item and listed it in their Lost and Found section of Customer Service. 

5 hours ago, lizardhowson said:

How can you not have time to hand it over to ship's personnel (Guest services, room steward, ships officer) ?

Now the person who lost it has just about zero chance of getting it back.

Guest services had a long line and as we were faced with a long journey to the airport with a tight check in and connecting flight we made a decision not to wait. Our cabin steward was no where to be seen in the corridor as we left.    On arrival back at home,  I immediately contacted RCI and the item and Cabin Number have been noted and the item added to the Lost and Found directory within Guest Services.   This,  contrary to your rude comment,  gives it some chance of being reunited with its owner.   If the person is actively seeking the item out with RCI Customer Service Lost and Found , there also is a chance they may see my various postings on Cruise Critic and other boards.    'Zero' chance would be if I had not bothered doing any of this.  So, wind your neck back in.  Thanks.  

Edited by LHC1962
  • Like 5

A very small % of cruisers follow Cruise Critic. By removing the item, you immensely decreased the owner’s chances of getting it back. Let’s hope it just has financial value and not any sentimental importance. 

There have been many identical posts here over the years, past experience shows removing the item is a poor choice. 

Edited by lizardhowson
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, lizardhowson said:

A very small % of cruisers follow Cruise Critic. By removing the item, you immensely decreased the owner’s chances of getting it back. Let’s hope it just has financial value and not any sentimental importance. 

There have been many identical posts here over the years, past experience shows removing the item is a poor choice. 

If the finder keeps the item and makes no attempt to make recourse - then that is a poor (and dishonest) choice.    Lost and Found on any ship or indeed, any hotel -  have a notoriously bad record of reuniting items with their owners.   This could be due to a number of reasons, from dishonest or lazy staff to poor communication.   In any event - logistically - how does a fleet of ships that are repositioning worldwide a few times a year  manage a lost and found for millions of annual passengers?  Where exactly do you store all that excess, who inventories it, who pays to move it to a central warehouse and store it?

To the best of my knowledge, having spoken to RCI Customer Service, the person who lost this item has not made an attempt to find it by their first course of action -  ie by contacting RCI to report it missing.  This means either (a) they have not noticed it is missing (indicating little sentimental value) or (b) they don't care that it is missing (indicating little sentimental OR financial value.) 

Either way, I feel that I am doing the best I can under the circumstances to get this item back to its owner.  Positive action and all that.  If we were all as negative as you we would get nothing achieved. 

Edited by LHC1962
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aulanis said:

If the ship was previously sailing out of Southampton you could try

contacting here - its for trying to find lost items but maybe reporting a found is something they could tie up.

https://help.royalcaribbean.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115000848452-I-left-something-onboard-by-mistake-What-do-I-do-

Thank you you so much for taking the time to post this helpful advice. 

I have also posted details on www.chargerback.com as advised by RCI. 

On 11/21/2018 at 8:45 PM, GarlicBread said:

You can always hand it in to security as you get off the ship, as you have to go through and stop and scan your card to get off anyway...

Actually, we tried doing this but Security would not accept Lost and Found Property. They told us to go back into Guest Services which we did not have time to do.   I have been told that Guest Services would only add the item to the Directory monitored by www.chargerback.com which I have done.   I personally think there is more chance of the person getting the item back by all the avenues I have explored, rather than dumping it on the first person I saw when leaving the ship. 

Edited by LHC1962
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LHC1962 said:

Actually, we tried doing this but Security would not accept Lost and Found Property. They told us to go back into Guest Services which we did not have time to do.   I have been told that Guest Services would only add the item to the Directory monitored by www.chargerback.com which I have done.   I personally think there is more chance of the person getting the item back by all the avenues I have explored, rather than dumping it on the first person I saw when leaving the ship. 

Well just leave it on the floor next to them and walk off. 

Or leave it with one of the crew directing you off the ship cruise/youth/sports staff! They’re not hard to find and are there until all guests are off. 

I have been one of those people. I have had many things handed to me on people’s way off. I just drop it in a GS once my shift has ended, or I just leave it with security. Who ever was nearest. 

But I know many people assume all crew are thieves and will keep it as their own. 

At at least then you’ve tried. Rather than take it home and try and be a hero and never find the owner. 

Funny how many people find things in the safe on the very last day. Most of the found items on here are found then.  Before I even put anything in the safe I look and feel around.  And we're in and out of the safe 2-3 times a day every day.    Odds of the owner being on CC are pretty small not to mention even seeing the post.    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LHC1962 said:

Bottom line you should have left it in the cabin if you weren't going to turn in to guest services. Taking off with it was the last thing you should have done. You could have left it on the desk with a note.

No one actually knows how many lost items actually get back to their owners. You and I only hear about the times that it doesn't happen. Not the times it does

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BND said:

Funny how many people find things in the safe on the very last day. Most of the found items on here are found then.  Before I even put anything in the safe I look and feel around.  And we're in and out of the safe 2-3 times a day every day.    Odds of the owner being on CC are pretty small not to mention even seeing the post.    

We are in and out of our safe daily, as well, however that did not stop me from finding a credit card under the lining in the safe on the final day of a cruise. I gave it to our cabin attendant as we were departing. Now I try to do a thorough check of the safe on embarkation day before we put our items in because the last thing I want to do on debarkation day is to fight the mob at Guest Relations.  

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 7:20 PM, lizardhowson said:

If the item had sentimental importance then the item would not have been left in the safe. 

On 11/21/2018 at 1:54 PM, LHC1962 said:

Guest services had a long line and as we were faced with a long journey to the airport with a tight check in and connecting flight we made a decision not to wait. 

Excuses....excuses.   There are offices and staff EVERYWHERE and you could have handed it to them and revealed your cabin number.  

• Like 1

The OP is new to Cruise critic - came on here in good faith asking for help.

It is absolutely no use slagging him off in retrospect.

If anyone else thinking of posting has nothing constructive to say then I suggest you keep it to yourself.

Edited by Aulanis
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

The OP is new to Cruise critic - came on here in good faith asking for help.

It is absolutely no use slagging him off in retrospect.

If anyone else thinking of posting has nothing constructive to say then I suggest you keep it to yourself.

Well said 👍

• Like 3

To the OP....

I just want to commend you for your honesty and effort to try and find the items owner.   Don't let the flames here deter you.    Need more people like you these days!   Over time, please keep us posted on your detective work.

Cheers.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zdad59 said:

To the OP....

I just want to commend you for your honesty and effort to try and find the items owner.   Don't let the flames here deter you.    Need more people like you these days!   Over time, please keep us posted on your detective work.

Cheers.

Thank you so much.    I  didn't want to say this incase the owner really does see this post   - but I genuinely thought it was cheap costume jewellery or I probably would have made a bigger effort to hand it in.   I also genuinely want to reunite the item to the owner, and think I may have some chance using www.chargerback.com as advised by RCCI.  If the person is seeking the return of the item - the chances are they will find my notification.   I'm disappointed that people think because I took it off the ship it has 'disappeared into thin air' as far as the owner is concerned.   Requests for all lost and found on RCI Cruise Ships are posted on the chargerback directory - this is what RCI  would have done if it had been handed in to Guest services.   So it doesn't matter if it is sitting in a Pursers drawer on Navigator,  or in a drawer in my house.    If the person is looking for it -  it has been found,  and it will be returned.    

I knew I would be flamed...so I'm tuned to 'ignore'.  🤣  

Thanks for being so nice ! 

Edited by LHC1962
  • Like 1