Cruise Critic Community
Posesmom

dress code in specialty restaurants

I looked on Carnival's website & for some reason most of their FAQ answers won't load.  I feel like I should already know this but I don't.  Do the other pay restaurants besides the steakhouse have a cruise elegant dress code on those nights? I like to dress up, but we aren't feeling it this particular cruise coming up & I was thinking I might try to get reservations on those nights.  If the dress code is everywhere other than Lido I'll have him pack something that will be suitable.  Thanks in advance!

We went to Bonsai Sushi on Vista the second elegant night in shorts or jeans.  None of the eight of us were feeling the suit/tux that night.

Speciality restaurants other than the steakhouse are usually cruise casual every night.  However, if you are familiar with Carnival, you probably know a lot of passengers don’t think the dress code applies to them and usually Carnival doesn’t enforce their own dress code. 

The only thing I'm aware of is that shorts aren't allowed in the steakhouse, regardless of the MDR's dress code. I'm not sure about the other specialty restaurants. I would guess the policy is the same. Either Elegant or Business Casual, but NOT Cruise Casual (i.e. NO shorts). However, that might vary from one ship to another. You could stop by whichever specialty restaurant you're considering ahead of time and ask what their dress code is.

Edited by beachbum53

2 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

The only thing I'm aware of is that shorts aren't allowed in the steakhouse, regardless of the MDR's dress code. I'm not sure about the other specialty restaurants. I would guess the policy is the same. Either Elegant or Business Casual, but NOT Cruise Casual (i.e. NO shorts). 

This is no longer true...  On the Conquest 3 weeks ago and they had two nights where shorts were specifically allowed.  One of the selling points on embarkation day.

2 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

The only thing I'm aware of is that shorts aren't allowed in the steakhouse, regardless of the MDR's dress code. I'm not sure about the other specialty restaurants. I would guess the policy is the same. Either Elegant or Business Casual, but NOT Cruise Casual (i.e. NO shorts). 

You are correct. They follow whatever the main dining room schedule is but shorts are not allowed even on casual nights in the steakhouse. There is however 1 exception now. It was posted on John Heald's site that they will allow shorts on embarkation night. They do this because of folks that haven't gotten their luggage and don't have access to their dress slacks by dinner time.

Casual is fine in Specialty restaurants, except no shorts, wife beaters or flip flops.

from a quick search on Carnival's web site:

The Steakhouse
The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are notpermitted.

Last week on the Magic, I got a notice in the cabin that for one night, they were allowing a more relaxed dress code that allowed shorts, 1st time I saw that.  Guess they were low on reservations that evening.

When I get my specialty confirmations when pre-booking, they usually script out what is recommended.

1 minute ago, figdu said:

This is no longer true...  On the Conquest 3 weeks ago and they had two nights where shorts were specifically allowed.  One of the selling points on embarkation day.

My wife and I have a reservation at the Steakhouse on embarkation day for our upcoming cruise.

She wants me to wear a Hawaiian shirt (relatively tame design), with khakis and shoes, etc for that dinner.  I assume this would be acceptable.  If anyone wants to point out an obvious faux pas that I am overlooking, feel free to highlight.

I know some folks wear Hawaiian shirt on elegant nights in the MDR, so I'm thinking I'm in line with expectations...

My comment about the selling point on embarkation day was for scheduling reservations.  The two nights that shorts were allowed did not include embarkation day.  Having said that, there were no reservations available for that day so it wasn't offered to us.

Hi

Carnival is really very casual in their dress code. For men, "elegant" is nothing more than "please wear a pair of long pants". If possible, please leave your ratty jeans at home, it's really not much more than that. It has been said before that for those that don't have a pair of pants, a $20 investment at Walmart will supply them with suitable attire that they will be able to reuse for many cruises. 

5 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Casual is fine in Specialty restaurants, except no shorts, wife beaters or flip flops.

from a quick search on Carnival's web site:

The Steakhouse
The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are notpermitted.

Last week on the Magic, I got a notice in the cabin that for one night, they were allowing a more relaxed dress code that allowed shorts, 1st time I saw that.  Guess they were low on reservations that evening.

When I get my specialty confirmations when pre-booking, they usually script out what is recommended.

thank you, I am getting bad request every time I search their site & try to open the answer. I see the steakhouse sited here which I knew they have cruise elegant dress code, but was unsure on the others.  

6 minutes ago, FijiFlip said:

You are correct. They follow whatever the main dining room schedule is but shorts are not allowed even on casual nights in the steakhouse. There is however 1 exception now. It was posted on John Heald's site that they will allow shorts on embarkation night. They do this because of folks that haven't gotten their luggage and don't have access to their dress slacks by dinner time.

There must have been a number of complaints about the "no shorts allowed, even on Embarkation Day" dress code in the Steakhouse. On a previous cruise (on the Liberty) I wore shorts to the steakhouse on Embarkation Day but was turned away. Fortunately, our luggage had arrived prior to dinner, so i was able to change into my Dockers. Otherwise, we would have had to cancel our reservations. 

Thank you everyone, hopefully when I get confirmations they will let me know for sure.  I didn't even think of that. Once we know for sure we can decide what absolutely needs packed.  It sounds like from the majority of answers cruise casual will work in the Italian & Asian restaurants which is what I'm hoping for this trip. Thanks again! 

18 minutes ago, figdu said:

My comment about the selling point on embarkation day was for scheduling reservations.  The two nights that shorts were allowed did not include embarkation day.  Having said that, there were no reservations available for that day so it wasn't offered to us.

I just can not imagine shorts in the steak house.  a pair of jeans and a shirt is all that is needed.   Its a more upscale dining room.  (Plus it gets chilly in there

I didn't wear shorts.  Simply stating that it is allowed on certain nights, at least on that cruise to Bermuda.

I cant even tell you what others wore in there as we were the only people in there at 6pm  and stayed that way til after we left. 

17 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

There must have been a number of complaints about the "no shorts allowed, even on Embarkation Day" dress code in the Steakhouse. On a previous cruise (on the Liberty) I wore shorts to the steakhouse on Embarkation Day but was turned away. Fortunately, our luggage had arrived prior to dinner, so i was able to change into my Dockers. Otherwise, we would have had to cancel our reservations. 

The liberty was the first steakhouse I went to. 🙂

That is a shame you were turned away. The post about allowing them on embarkation night was VERY recent on John's site. Either way one of the biggest problems with all of this is not the rules or that they are not clear. The problem lies in Carnival's inconsistent procedures for enforcing rules from ship to ship and from sailing to sailing. If you could know what to expect on EVERY ship, EVERY time you sail, this would not even be a issue worth posting about.

53 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

My wife and I have a reservation at the Steakhouse on embarkation day for our upcoming cruise.

She wants me to wear a Hawaiian shirt (relatively tame design), with khakis and shoes, etc for that dinner.  I assume this would be acceptable.  If anyone wants to point out an obvious faux pas that I am overlooking, feel free to highlight.

I know some folks wear Hawaiian shirt on elegant nights in the MDR, so I'm thinking I'm in line with expectations...

Your wife's suggestion sounds very reasonable.  Have a great time!

22 minutes ago, FijiFlip said:

That is a shame you were turned away. The post about allowing them on embarkation night was VERY recent on John's site. Either way one of the biggest problems with all of this is not the rules or that they are not clear. The problem lies in Carnival's inconsistent procedures for enforcing rules from ship to ship and from sailing to sailing. If you could know what to expect on EVERY ship, EVERY time you sail, this would not even be a issue worth posting about.

I suspect that the reason they opened up to allowing shorts on embarkation day in the Steakhouse is because there were too many cases of folks not having their luggage yet, and therefore cannot change...so it was Carnival's "fault" they were breaking the rules.  By offering up the wine deal on the first night or two, they were trying to attract more customers, but then turning them away, which tends to grind gears...

1 hour ago, FijiFlip said:

Even though Carnival's policies (and rules) are fleet wide, I suspect the problem lies with the management on each ship. It probably depends on how strict or liberal each hotel manager, Maitre D and others are when it comes to enforcing or not enforcing Carnival's rules. Just posting a complaint on here about something really doesn't do a lot of good. If more people would take the time to write a letter directly to Carnival, maybe that would result in more consistency across the fleet.