Cruise Critic Community
FijiFlip

I recieved an email from carnival yesterday

I received and email from carnival yesterday saying that the port of Miami had announced that one of the gangway ramps would not be available for our embarkation this coming Sunday and that check in times were pushed back an hour. Does anyone know how this affects platinum and FTTF guests that are not required to follow a check in time? 

Thanks!

Flip

I would imagine it affects everyone - the same gangways are used to disembark (at least they are in my experience at Port Canaveral, maybe Miami is different), so I imagine they are planning for delays in getting everyone off the ship in the first place.

27 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I would imagine it affects everyone - the same gangways are used to disembark (at least they are in my experience at Port Canaveral, maybe Miami is different), so I imagine they are planning for delays in getting everyone off the ship in the first place.

This is correct.

Shame on the Port of Miami for not having an important piece of equipment operational when the ship arrives. The port has enough money to have people and materials on hand to make repairs necessary to the infrastructure of the port. I looked up mismanagement in the dictionary and it said see public agency.

16 minutes ago, Moviela said:

Shame on the Port of Miami for not having an important piece of equipment operational when the ship arrives. The port has enough money to have people and materials on hand to make repairs necessary to the infrastructure of the port. I looked up mismanagement in the dictionary and it said see public agency.

How is it that you know the port has the money? We don't even know why the gangway ramp is out of service? Unless you happen to know that as well. What if another ship "ran into it"? What if a forklift operator ran over it and damaged a safety feature. These would be unforeseen circumstances.

27 minutes ago, Moviela said:

I'm curious. When a powerful storm knocks out the electric in your area, and you have to go for several hours, maybe even days, do you say "Shame on the electric company for not having equipment or people on hand to make immediate repairs."? It is next to impossible to be prepared for anything and everything that could possibly happen that would be considered an inconvenience to some. $#!T happens. You just try to deal with it the best way you can. 

12 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

How is it that you know the port has the money? We don't even know why the gangway ramp is out of service? Unless you happen to know that as well. What if another ship "ran into it"? What if a forklift operator ran over it and damaged a safety feature. These would be unforeseen circumstances.

know because I read the financials for the port. It has over a billion dollars of capital assets, almost 200 million cash in their pocket, and made $13.8 million for parking in a recent year by over charging cruise ship passengers. 

Whether the gangway broke down or was damaged is never unforeseen. Except for "force majeure" like a hurricane or bombing by aliens there is no excuse to not have it operational within hours.   

I also received an email yesterday from Carnival about the hour delay for the Horizon on Sunday but it didn't mention a reason for the delay.  I would think it would apply to platinum as well so we will just relax a little longer at the hotel and take a later shuttle.  If we get there too early we will just have to stand outside and wait.

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

know because I read the financials for the port. It has over a billion dollars of capital assets, almost 200 million cash in their pocket, and made $13.8 million for parking in a recent year by over charging cruise ship passengers. 

Whether the gangway broke down or was damaged is never unforeseen. Except for "force majeure" like a hurricane or bombing by aliens there is no excuse to not have it operational within hours.   

Within hours??? You have some really unrealistic expectations.

When the Pride hit the gangway at Port Baltimore in 2016, it took months for a replacement to be made in Europe and shipped over.  Complex, specialized equipment can't always be repaired with a trip to Home Depot.

Edited by DallasGuy75219

36 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Complex, specialized equipment can't always be repaired with a trip to Home Depot.

Sometimes remarkably simple home consumer stuff can't be fixed by a trip to Home Depot.  It is amazing what you have in a typical house that might need repairing that Home Depot simply doesn't carry.

Very frustrating.  So I just order it from Amazon (once I figure out what to call the gizmo so I can search for it!), for next day delivery or at worst, two day delivery.  And B&M stores wonder why they are going out of business...

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Within hours??? You have some really unrealistic expectations.

When the Pride hit the gangway at Port Baltimore in 2016, it took months for a replacement to be made in Europe and shipped over.  Complex, specialized equipment can't always be repaired with a trip to Home Depot.

Come on, that is certainly a force majeure exception. The Pride punted it partway to the Potomac. The whole thing was ripped off the ground and wrenched from the terminal. 

If a port does not perform preventative maintenance to avoid break downs, or stock major replacement parts, and have crews that can repair gangways on site, they are doing the wrong thing.