Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
GOIN2C

MSC FIRST TIMER

Recommended Posts

After some  deliberation I decided to try MSC Meraglivia for our Spring Mediterranean cruise.

I expected differences, but am confused about some if the policies.

 

the status match seems to be inconsistent. I am Diamond Plys in RCCL, I received Gold status on MSC. I’m sure I read where others were matched to Black.

 

i was told,  No price matching after booking, no matter how far out.

 

Im confused on how to  set an onboard account.

 

In order to contact the sales agent ( I booked directly with MSC), I must email, I cannot call her directly.

 

Maybe I am just so used to sailing on the major lines and am being picky.

any impute will help.  Positive only, no trolls, thank you

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read that MSC changed match levels in October this year, several people report being matched to lower MSC levels than earlier.

 

I'm not sure about actual price drops, you may have to cancel/re-book.  MSC prices are steadier than most cruise lines, I have seen it happen on other sailings but I've never had to try it.  I have switched between promotions to get a better price, discount or perks without any hassle.

 

Once on board there are kiosks with a small machine that looks like a grocery check out card reader.  You swipe your cruise card, pick who in the cabin you want to cover and swipe your credit card.  Otherwise you can put down cash at customer service.

 

Not being able to directly call a particular PVC is a pain.  You can always ask to be transferred to a particular person and leave a voice mail if they are busy.  The good ones answer emails quickly.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting comment about "price match". I have had my price adjusted after booking (when price went down) with no problem whatsoever. I wonder if this is a new policy? Hope not!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just returned from the Meraviglia. We had an absolutely fantastic time. My wife said that she hasn't been wowed this much by a ship since we sailed on the Allure of the Seas during her inaugural season. 

 

- You set your onboard account yourself at one of the many self-assist kiosks on the ship

- Don't know why you were told that you could only email. We also booked directly and I called and spoke to a live agent several times.

- We were also matched to Gold. We appreciated all the perks, specially considering that, to my knowledge, no other cruise line, is currently doing this. 

 

One thing that may be a bit of an eye opener when you sail MSC in Europe is how massive of a company they are. They are a major shipping company that spans the world,, both with their cruise division and cargo division. We are just learning about them in the USA in recent years, but after our experience on the Meraviglia last week, and knowing MSC's plan to continue to aggressively grow in the US,  it wont be long before the MSC name is as familiar in the US as Royal Caribbean, Carnival, etc. 

 

 

Edited by Tapi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tapi said:

We just returned from the Meraviglia. We had an absolutely fantastic time. My wife said that she hasn't been wowed this much by a ship since we sailed on the Allure of the Seas during her inaugural season. 

 

- You set your onboard account yourself at one of the many self-assist kiosks on the ship

- Don't know why you were told that you could only email. We also booked directly and I called and spoke to a live agent several times.

- We were also matched to Gold. We appreciated all the perks, specially considering that, to my knowledge, no other cruise line, is currently doing this. 

 

One thing that may be a bit of an eye opener when you sail MSC in Europe is how massive of a company they are. They are a major shipping company that spans the world,, both with their cruise division and cargo division. We are just learning about them in the USA in recent years, but after our experience on the Meraviglia last week, and knowing MSC's plan to continue to aggressively grow in the US,  it wont be long before the MSC name is as familiar in the US as Royal Caribbean, Carnival, etc. 

 

 

Fantastic & you are obviously so right! Get these drink packages stable & things remain all good for MSC I feel. Globally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2018 at 1:58 AM, gimletgal said:

Interesting comment about "price match". I have had my price adjusted after booking (when price went down) with no problem whatsoever. I wonder if this is a new policy? Hope not!

 Last week I asked our TA in the UK to check out an upgrade to the YC from our Aurea balcony for Xmas on Divina as the price had dropped by around £400, the answer was yes but you will have to pay the cost of the YC cabin on the day you booked your original cabin which was £400 more! this is after final payment by the way so the only way to get the lower price would be to cancel and lose the whole payment for the Aurea and rebook the YC cabin ! Never going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, sidari said:

 Last week I asked our TA in the UK to check out an upgrade to the YC from our Aurea balcony for Xmas on Divina as the price had dropped by around £400, the answer was yes but you will have to pay the cost of the YC cabin on the day you booked your original cabin which was £400 more! this is after final payment by the way so the only way to get the lower price would be to cancel and lose the whole payment for the Aurea and rebook the YC cabin ! Never going to happen.

 

To be fair, that is the policy (i.e. price on day of original booking) on all cruiselines (14) we have sailed. I have tried to do this often, and succeeded only once but cannot recall which cruiseline it was! Booking via a USA agent you have a much higher chance of success, but the poor dollar exchange makes that increasingly unattractive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sidari said:

 Last week I asked our TA in the UK to check out an upgrade to the YC from our Aurea balcony for Xmas on Divina as the price had dropped by around £400, the answer was yes but you will have to pay the cost of the YC cabin on the day you booked your original cabin which was £400 more! this is after final payment by the way so the only way to get the lower price would be to cancel and lose the whole payment for the Aurea and rebook the YC cabin ! Never going to happen.

sidari - I was referring to having my price adjusted downward without a cabin or experience change - plus, this was before final payment. After final payment, all bets are off! So, I don't think we are comparing apples to apples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...