Izumi $49.99 - No longer a la carte?

twangster

I am currently on Anthem.  We looked at their menu 2 days ago but haven't gotten around to eating there yet.  It was ala carte at that time.  I will ask about the flat fee tomorrow.  Can't imagine they would do that and think they would be successful.  

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

The old sample menu didn't list Hot Rocks I think because not all ships have hot rocks.

Funny thing is I downloaded the old sample menu just a few days ago.  

Old and new menus below.

New Izumi_Dinner_Menu.pdf

Old Izumi_Dinner_Sample.pdf

Well, at $50 it is irrelevant anyway!

We sometimes enjoy it for a change but not enough to spend $100 for two.

Slightly off topic but we went to Izumi 2 weeks ago for our final dinner at the hibachi top.  Paid the $49 pp charge for the 5 of us.  Did not find the value there.  Same routine from the chef that is found at virtually every hibachi in the states, so it kinda gets old.  Food portions were decent, but I had to beg for an extra lobster tail and they would not bring out or cook any extra fried rice.  With no drink package I had to pay for wine.  For my family of 3 did not find it worth $200 for a 1 dinner show that was stale.

For ala-carte the prices did also seem a bit high.  Good sushi found throughout the US, at these prices for dinner I would pass. Let the market tell RCL that they have outpriced demand.

• Like 3

We ate there on Jewel last week as part of the 3 night package. We were given a $30 pp allowance although I was sure when I booked in the planner the small print said $35 pp but I had not kept a copy.  We both had hot rocks and shared a sushi and a tempura which came to $59 total. It was nice but wouldn't be worth $50 pp to us. We noticed that although the restaurant was quite busy at least half the tables were taken by ship officers and crew.

Julie

6 minutes ago, kernow said:

We ate there on Jewel last week as part of the 3 night package. We were given a $30 pp allowance although I was sure when I booked in the planner the small print said $35 pp but I had not kept a copy.  We both had hot rocks and shared a sushi and a tempura which came to $59 total. It was nice but wouldn't be worth $50 pp to us. We noticed that although the restaurant was quite busy at least half the tables were taken by ship officers and crew.

Julie

I print out and bring a copy of the small print. We were on the Anthem one time and they tried to tell us that it was a total of $30 for the both of us. We had to get the manager involved, who eventually gave us the proper amount. Trying to get them to understand that we each had a package, so we each get an allowance.

Here is what you get for $50:

Fixed price is per person, applies to select menu items and includes (1) miso soup, (1) choice of starter, (1) choice of signature roll or ramen, (5) pieces sashimi or nigiri, and (1) choice of dessert. Choices are limited to current menu offerings in the specific menu category listed. No substitutions allowed. No discount or refund will be given for unused courses. All other menu items may be purchased for an additional change.

That wouldn't be $50 per person in a great Sushi restaurant near me.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Fixed price is per person, applies to select menu items and includes (1) miso soup, (1) choice of starter, (1) choice of signature roll or ramen, (5) pieces sashimi or nigiri, and (1) choice of dessert. Choices are limited to current menu offerings in the specific menu category listed. No substitutions allowed. No discount or refund will be given for unused courses. All other menu items may be purchased for an additional change.

Absolutely not worth $50/PP.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

That's ridiculous.  We'll never go again if that's what they switch to.  DH doesn't eat sushi, and I usually get 2-3 rolls.  This doesn't meet our needs.  Shame.

This is nuts. I'm wondering if Royal made a mistake on their website (wouldn't be the 1st time) and will make a correction when it's brought to their attention. One can only hope. We're going on the Oasis Jan 6 and I just checked the specialty restaurant prices...

Chop's:  $39.99

Giovanni's:  $39.99

Izumi Hibachi: $45.00

Izumi: &49.99

How in the world is Izumi more expensive than Chop's? Not 100% sure but based on the above, I think the Chop's price dropped around $10 as well on Oasis class ships. One last thing, my wife's favorite sushi roll (Champagne Lobster Roll) isn't even on the Izumi menu anymore. What's up with that?

Tim

With Sabor also moving away from a la carte perhaps they are trying to eliminate a la carte all together and this was someone's SWAG at a fixed price Izumi approach.

I agree, I think we'll see the fixed price be 'fixed' once they see the impact of this initial attempt.   

Sabor didn't have a PDF sample menu last week to download.  Now it does.  It's fixed price is $22.  No terms and conditions on what that includes like Izumi.  

16 minutes ago, cruisin4kicks said:

This is nuts. I'm wondering if Royal made a mistake on their website (wouldn't be the 1st time) and will make a correction when it's brought to their attention. One can only hope. We're going on the Oasis Jan 6 and I just checked the specialty restaurant prices...

How in the world is Izumi more expensive than Chop's? Not 100% sure but based on the above, I think the Chop's price dropped around $10 as well on Oasis class ships. One last thing, my wife's favorite sushi roll (Champagne Lobster Roll) isn't even on the Izumi menu anymore. What's up with that?

Tim

I noticed that too. On our upcoming cruise Chops is cheapest, then Giovanni’s then Izumi. No hibachi on this ship and no Hot Rocks on sample menu.

In fact sample menu looks very reduced,  not sure if this is truly a “sample menu” or a new reduced menu at in increased price! 

I forsee a lot of discounts being offered on board.

38 minutes ago, cruisin4kicks said:

Hibachi is not eligible for dining packages but Izumi, now priced higher, is.

Explain that.