Izumi $49.99 - No longer a la carte?

twangster

Is this all a marketing technique to get people to buy the unlimited dining plan?

$29.99 /night including lunch on sea days sounds better than $49.99.

With Izumi going prix-fixe there is no more ala carte options on HOS.

So you would assume the prix-fixe would be covered under UDP and the same terms? Multiple entrees?

9 hours ago, JoeFan said:

Is this all a marketing technique to get people to buy the unlimited dining plan?

$29.99 /night including lunch on sea days sounds better than $49.99.

With Izumi going prix-fixe there is no more ala carte options on HOS.

So you would assume the prix-fixe would be covered under UDP and the same terms? Multiple entrees?

Are you sure there is no ala carte options? If you make reservations onboard or get the unlimited dining package it is set up for the ala carte pricing.

Edited by later

1 hour ago, travelplus said:

I would pay $10 for an upcharge for a good burger joint!

I would pay $75 a person for all you can eat crab legs, crab cakes, etc. I wish they would do this. Like tables with butcher paper tablecloths. where you show up in jeans and they put a pitcher of beer in the middle and pour crabs across the table and you just eat all night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I would pay $75 a person for all you can eat crab legs, crab cakes, etc. I wish they would do this. Like tables with butcher paper tablecloths. where you show up in jeans and they put a pitcher of beer in the middle and pour crabs across the table and you just eat all night. 

That sounds.....amazing

• Like 2

9 hours ago, travelplus said:

I would pay $10 for an upcharge for a good burger joint!

Playmakers? Same upcharge as Johnnie Rockets. But what a burger and fries

Edited by rt1092

9 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Good sushi requires fresh fish.  Fish on ships are not fresh.

Actually, the first half of this is completely incorrect -- safe (good) sushi actually requires the fish to have been frozen to a certain temperature to ensure all of the parasites have died:
freezing fish at temperatures of -4 degrees Fahrenheit (-20 degrees Celsius) for seven days, or frozen at -31 degrees Fahrenheit (-35 degrees Celsius) for 15 hours, which kills any parasites

Furthermore, it's worth noting that almost ALL of the sushi rolls served at Izumi (not including the sashimi/nigiri which is a different type of sushi) are cooked in one form or another -- from rolls with tempura shrimp, to unagi (eel that's been grilled) to smoked salmon (smoking it is a form of cooking). It's all been cooked! Lobster roll, the steak roll, the spider roll (soft-shell crab) -- all cooked!!

We were on Radiance in April/May and we were able to dine on the a la carte whenever it was open. And I can confirm, the sushi at Izumi is delicious!

On 6/14/2019 at 9:53 PM, later said:

Are you sure there is no ala carte options? If you make reservations onboard or get the unlimited dining package it is set up for the ala carte pricing.

My wife and I were on the Navigator last week (6/10-14) and we had the unlimited dining package.  Izumi still  had the a la carte menu and the package covered up to $70 for the two of us.  We were disappointed that two items which I have always liked were removed from the menu: the all-Nigiri Sushi combination and the Japanese pancake.  The deluxe Sushi combination was still there (with the spice tuna roll which we do not care for) and the only desserts that were on the menu were the mochi ice cream and the sesami balls.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 7:17 PM, travelplus said:

Change Izumi to a Deli

I vote for a craft beer bar... Place was dead on our last two Rhapsody sailings.

Edited by coaster

3 hours ago, coaster said:

I vote for a craft beer bar... Place was dead on our last two Rhapsody sailings.

With no hibachi and no hot rock, Izumi was very dead on Adventure.

16 hours ago, coaster said:

Craft Beer bar would be cool.  It seems like restaurants like Izumi are always vacant.  On Celebrity, I never saw more than 2 people in their sushi restaurant.

3 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

We only went because we had UDP, and I love sushi.  We would never pay for it normally!  The sushi was great, but the selection was small.

I used to order hot rock and sukiyaki, both are gone.  I agree, sushi is good, but it's not my first choice.

On 11/22/2018 at 4:55 PM, twangster said:

Here is what you get for $50:

Fixed price is per person, applies to select menu items and includes (1) miso soup, (1) choice of starter, (1) choice of signature roll or ramen, (5) pieces sashimi or nigiri, and (1) choice of dessert. Choices are limited to current menu offerings in the specific menu category listed. No substitutions allowed. No discount or refund will be given for unused courses. All other menu items may be purchased for an additional change.

That wouldn't be $50 per person in a great Sushi restaurant near me.  

Agreed! We usually get 1 roll each, and egg drop or miso soup....not a good deal at all for $50 each!