Crown sanctuary questions

Scubadoc

We are on the Crown Jan 6. So if I understand this right, you reserve a specific chair in the Sanctuary?  If so are their advantages to certain locations?  We would want shade and less wind but with good view. Sounds like there is some degree of competitive rush to reserve as soon as you get on the ship. Is there a section of the  Sanctuary we shud look at first to choose a chair?  Thanx!

• 2 months later...

Topping because we will be on the Crown in December for a 10-day cruise, and I have the same question. I'd like to get seats in the Sanctuary for our sea days - just half-days in the afternoons, though. Should we plan on embarking as soon as possible and rushing to the Sanctuary to make reservations?

I would make it a point of doing this sooner than later.  A cruise mate will walk one through the process of lounge selection.  Usually one will save a bit by booking the entire cruise, including boarding day.  

The OP has already sailed but if anyone else is interested in the question...

I was on the Crown from 12/17 to 12/27 and booked the Sanctuary for the full cruise; it was $30/day.  For partial bookings it is $20/half day and $40/full day.  The hours were 8 am - 12:30 pm for morning only; 1 pm - 5:30 pm for afternoon only; and 8 am - 5:30 pm for full day.

The easiest way to get there is take the forward elevators to the top floor, turn right, enter the spa on your left, exit the pool door on your left, go up the steps on your left and you are at the entrance to the Sanctuary.

Go make reservations as soon as possible and be prepared for a line.  Picking out lounges is a very labor intensive process with only one person/couple being helped at a time.  Enjoy!

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, capriccio said:

The OP has already sailed but if anyone else is interested in the question...

I was on the Crown from 12/17 to 12/27 and booked the Sanctuary for the full cruise; it was $30/day.  For partial bookings it is $20/half day and $40/full day.  The hours were 8 am - 12:30 pm for morning only; 1 pm - 5:30 pm for afternoon only; and 8 am - 5:30 pm for full day.

The easiest way to get there is take the forward elevators to the top floor, turn right, enter the spa on your left, exit the pool door on your left, go up the steps on your left and you are at the entrance to the Sanctuary.

Go make reservations as soon as possible and be prepared for a line.  Picking out lounges is a very labor intensive process with only one person/couple being helped at a time.  Enjoy!

Thank you for such a detailed answer. I will plan on us boarding ASAP and making a bee-line for the Sanctuary to reserve seats for our sea days.

No alcoholic beverages unless you reserve a cabana (if I remember correctly that is over $150/day!).  The stewards will take your card to the nearby bar and get drinks for you I think.  As far as food is concerned, the afternoon tea is included.  They also offer a spa menu at lunch with a $3 per order delivery charge (we didn't use that feature on the last cruise but have in the past and enjoyed the offerings).

• Like 1

As for how to choose a lounger, the most are either entirely in the sun (these will typically be last to sell out) or in partial or full shade (These sell out faster in my experience).  On the Grand class ships, including Crown, I'm not sure there are any 'bad' locations though the loungers near the entrance interest me less due to traffic in and out.  

When folks say board early and get up there quick it might help to know that every cruise I see someone up their with all of the carry on's with them - they don't even stop at the cabin to drop a bag.  I'm not quite that nutty, but then I typically end up being 10th or so in line, the first few inevitably have luggage (and I don't mean a backpack, I mean suitcases).  It's not worth THAT much to me!   

4 minutes ago, jondfk said:

As for how to choose a lounger, the most are either entirely in the sun (these will typically be last to sell out) or in partial or full shade (These sell out faster in my experience).  On the Grand class ships, including Crown, I'm not sure there are any 'bad' locations though the loungers near the entrance interest me less due to traffic in and out.  

When folks say board early and get up there quick it might help to know that every cruise I see someone up their with all of the carry on's with them - they don't even stop at the cabin to drop a bag.  I'm not quite that nutty, but then I typically end up being 10th or so in line, the first few inevitably have luggage (and I don't mean a backpack, I mean suitcases).  It's not worth THAT much to me!   

Thanks for that nice comment, however facetiously you may have intended it. We're among the "nutty" ones,  as lowly Platinums, we board as soon as we possibly can, and race up directly with our carry-ons, sometimes as early as 11:30. We are invariably well back in the line behind the Elites, Suites, B2B pax etc who board before us, and rarely get our preferred loungers in the better, quieter locations. While we do usually get decent chairs, the best ones are almost always gone by the time we get there. It's worth THAT much to us to get decent chairs.

A few years ago we boarded our RCCL cruise so early the cabins were not open yet. We had lunch and lugged around our carry-ons until they announced that the rooms were open. We are not afraid to board early, get reservations, and grab a bite to eat before getting to our stateroom.