Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ready2cruzagain

MSC Divina Nov 18 - Dec 20

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, lifeasme123 said:

Isn't this more than the $10 back as ready2cruzagain posted?

How is that? $5.00 is less than $10.00....confused...(my quote was per person)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, funinthsun said:

How is that? $5.00 is less than $10.00....confused...(my quote was per person)

 

Depends on if ready2cruzagain is $10pp or $10 for a taxi of 4 pax.  I posted that question to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailing on Divina tomorrow! So excited. Does anyone know if main dining room is open for lunch on embarkation day? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2018 at 3:35 PM, ready2cruzagain said:

We are on the Divina now, in Cartagena, Wi-Fi is bad in port but have a few things to say.  

 

Love the cruise! Food is great, crew is friendly and so many activities!  After 38 cruises, this is our favorite so far!

 

Ate, Ziggy is here until Dec 9th and returns Feb 20, 2019.

 

We had D rinks in us and upgraded to classic. Classic is now premium, deluxe is now premium plus and dou is easy.  No problems and have a better package now.  Classic is drinks up to $12

 

We are in Bella category so if you have questions will try to answer.  Only getting Wi-Fi in port.

 

I just want to repeat, this is an awesome cruise!!!!!

Wow sounds fabulous. I have booked the old Deluxe package and reading reports it no longer is available. Will we still get most drinks and mini bar when on the ship. So nice to read your having a blast after reading so many bad reviews.  Happy Holidays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2018 at 4:40 PM, kristapb said:

That sounds great; we are looking forward to our cruise Jan. 10.  Thanks so much for posting!

 

Also on this cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2018 at 10:35 AM, ready2cruzagain said:

We are on the Divina now, in Cartagena, Wi-Fi is bad in port but have a few things to say.  

 

Love the cruise! Food is great, crew is friendly and so many activities!  After 38 cruises, this is our favorite so far!

 

Ate, Ziggy is here until Dec 9th and returns Feb 20, 2019.

 

We had D rinks in us and upgraded to classic. Classic is now premium, deluxe is now premium plus and dou is easy.  No problems and have a better package now.  Classic is drinks up to $12

 

We are in Bella category so if you have questions will try to answer.  Only getting Wi-Fi in port.

 

I just want to repeat, this is an awesome cruise!!!!!

Ready2cruzagain - Since you did a B2B, did you notice any difference in services/attitudes between the two cruises?

 

This is our 5th MSC cruise and I felt customer service was not there.  We encountered rude staff in photo and very unhappy crew members.  We had crew members tell us how this is their last contracts and they went on and on.  Few even told us MSC passengers are cheap; how MSC passengers do not tip.  I told these crew members that tipping in common in US and Canada, but not elsewhere, and there is nothing wrong with one or the other.  Just different cultures and they should not have such expectations.  We did not even ask and do not even know why they would say things like that to passengers.  

 

We were also in the bella category (for balcony).  First time as a bella and the last time.  DH had low blood sugar and wanted to go back to the room to rest.  He had already ordered his dinner in the restaurant but they would not let him take the food back to the room.  I assume this is because we had bella???  Anyway, I have no idea what they did with the food he ordered.  I went to the buffet and made a plate for him.  

 

We will sail again with MSC because this is an anomaly for us.  I am just curious if you noticed a difference between the two sailing.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were told that also from our crew....we always tip them right off the get go then again when we depart. I feel that MSC wants the American culture and thats why they are bringing more ships over..I like their ships but some passengers need to know more about manners.  Yes, I would go again on MSC and we have been cruising along time....sorry to say tho, heading home I got sick with acute bronchitis....everyone have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy New Year....keep crusing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 14nascarfan said:

sorry to say tho, heading home I got sick with acute bronchitis...

 

We caught something as well.  DH and I diligently washed and sanitized our hands, but still got something.  Hope you get better soon!

 

25 minutes ago, 14nascarfan said:

I feel that MSC wants the American culture and thats why they are bringing more ships over..I like their ships but some passengers need to know more about manners.  

 

 

Agree.  I wonder if it is because this cruise is more international than US, hence the difference in customs/mannerisms.  We were on Seaside in Jan and did not feel it as much.

Edited by lifeasme123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a great time.  Yes, I was coughed and sneezed on for the last 5 days, at least.  At work today, and everyone here is sick, too.  Hopefully, I won't spend the Holidays in bed!

 

Sure, people cut in line (I actually really enjoyed simply walking up and getting just what I wanted), but when the people in an elevator wouldn't move to let you on even when there was room, I got a little belligerent!  But what one culture considers to be rude, another doesn't.  Not everyone in the world has to do things The American Way.

 

But for goodness sake, glance behind you before you turn and step out into a crowded buffet where people are walking with food and drinks.

 

But enjoyed the food.  Had mostly really good service except at the Garden pool bar, where I thought the bartenders were rude.  I was ignored several times while others who had just walked up were served.  I even called one guy out on it.  But, hey!  I'm an older woman and didn't have my boobs hanging out of a bikini. :classic_angry:

 

Missed the M&G.

 

Ship was beautiful but too big for my tastes.

 

Still, I'm thinking about booking another MSC cruise, but on a smaller ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

But what one culture considers to be rude, another doesn't.  Not everyone in the world has to do things The American Way.

Agree 100%.  

 

5 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Missed the M&G.

I registered but never received an invite.

Edited by lifeasme123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 12:24 PM, lifeasme123 said:

Agree 100%.  

 

I registered but never received an invite.

We did back to backs on the 11/29 and subsequent cruise.  Prior to the cruise we registered from both M&Gs..  For the 11/29 cruise we received the invitation, went to the party, got into the group photo, etc.  For the 2nd cruise we never heard a word...which was OK since we had no intention of going to another M&G.  Reading these threads and having just spent 21 wonderful days on the Divina we can say that MSC is consistently inconsistent :).  That being said, we have already booked another Divina cruise in the YC. 

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 10:36 AM, lifeasme123 said:

Ready2cruzagain - Since you did a B2B, did you notice any difference in services/attitudes between the two cruises?

 

This is our 5th MSC cruise and I felt customer service was not there.  We encountered rude staff in photo and very unhappy crew members.  We had crew members tell us how this is their last contracts and they went on and on.  Few even told us MSC passengers are cheap; how MSC passengers do not tip.  I told these crew members that tipping in common in US and Canada, but not elsewhere, and there is nothing wrong with one or the other.  Just different cultures and they should not have such expectations.  We did not even ask and do not even know why they would say things like that to passengers.  

 

We were also in the bella category (for balcony).  First time as a bella and the last time.  DH had low blood sugar and wanted to go back to the room to rest.  He had already ordered his dinner in the restaurant but they would not let him take the food back to the room.  I assume this is because we had bella???  Anyway, I have no idea what they did with the food he ordered.  I went to the buffet and made a plate for him.  

 

We will sail again with MSC because this is an anomaly for us.  I am just curious if you noticed a difference between the two sailing.

 

Thanks!

We never had a problem with the crew on all 3 cruises.  In fact, we talked about how great the crew were compared to other cruise lines we have been on and how they go over and above to get you what you want.  Sorry you had problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we are home from our 32 days on the Divina and I must say we LOVED it!!!!  We both agree that this was our favorite cruise ever and that is saying a lot considering we have been on 41 cruises now on 5 different cruise lines.  I will say there were some hiccups but then again I have never been on a perfect cruise and the hiccups were nothing that would make me not want to sail with MSC again.  I am not doing a review but will touch on a few things and give you my opinion.

 

Embarkation first, I would say do not get there before 10:30am.  We arrived at 9:15 am because that is what time the hotel scheduled our shuttle and it was not fun.  Yes we were 10th in line to go in but we had to stand outside in the hot sun until 10:30am when they opened the doors to start embarkation.  It was hot and not fun standing there.  After that, embarkation went fast and we were on the ship by 11:30am.  The next two embarkations though did not look like fun for others due to CBP. 

 

We were in a Bella Inside cabin the first cruise then in a Bella Balcony the next 2 cruises.  The inside cabins are small but we were looking forward to the balcony cabins which were nice in size.  The last cabin actually had a tub in the bathroom but there was no couch in the room.  I think I would prefer the couch because the cabin was smaller.  (We switched cabins all 3 cruises).  All 3 cabin stewards were efficient, always asked if we needed anything and cabin was always clean.  

 

We ate in the MDR when it was open.  The food was great and loved the variety.  I had read a lot of reviews where the food was cold but our hot food was hot and our cold food was cold.  We had the same waitress for the first 2 cruises then she left the ship and we had a different waiter.  I thought our first one was great but the waiter on the last cruise was the best we have ever had.  Efficient, friendly, knew what we wanted and went over the top.  We loved the food and the service was great. 

 

Will continue in a few minutes.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did eat in the buffet for breakfast and lunch but not dinner.  Breakfast had the usual offerings, omelet station, several types of eggs, corned beef hash, fried potatoes, sausage, bacon, breakfast pizza, pancakes, waffles, yogurts, granolas and cereals, fruits, pastries and homemade donuts, meats, cheeses, herring, salmon mousse, etc.  Same foods everyday but lots of variety.

 

Lunch buffet I do want to comment on because I have read reviews that people say it is the same everyday.  I did not find this to be the case.  Yes they had the same type of items but they changed the recipes everyday.  You really need to read the cards above the food items to see what the item is.  For example, they would have chicken in the same spot everyday but it was different everyday.  One day it would be Coq au vin, next Chicken in Mole Sauce,  next Chicken Peri Peri, etc.  The carving station had a different meat everyday, Veal, Beef Brisket, Pork, Whole Turkey, etc.  The vegetables were different everyday.  I have never been on a cruise where we have eaten so many vegetables, brussel sprouts, corn, mixed veggies, eggplant, peas, etc.  There was a Mexican station and an Asian Station.  My favorite was the meat and cheese station, wow oh wow, loved it and could have lived off that alone. Did not try any of the desserts.  I do want to say that on the last day on the second cruise they did run out of coffee in the buffet and that is bad.  Good thing I had the Classic package and was able to get coffee or else would not have been happy.

 

Oh and the pizza was delicious!!  (The pizza is better in Eataly though).

 

We did use our 3 free meals we got for Black Card status on each cruise at Eataly.  I can say I liked the MDR a lot better.  The variety in the Eataly is horrible.  Main entree is 2 choices, steak or sea bass in broth which made it a soup.  Service in Eataly was pretty bad.  Pizza for an app was great though, huge I must say, 12 inch pizza for an app is large.

 

We had the DOU but had upgraded to the Classic Drink Package.  The first day our card only showed the DOU so I had to go to Guest Services and they corrected our cards.  One hiccup though at the Divina Bar once where the waitress was telling the bar tenders that we should only get the new Easy package. I talked to the Asst. Bar Manager and no problems after that, received what we ordered and should have gotten with the Classic Package.   

 

My problem with bar service is they kept running out of beers, wines and liquors.  They ran out of Dos Equis on every cruise.  They ran out of Yuengling on the second cruise.  They ran out of Baileys on the first cruise.  See where I am going?  The Bar Manager needs to step up and order more or something.

 

The bar tenders and waitresses were great.  They always knew what we wanted and if they did not have it at the bar then they would go to another bar and get it.  Best bar tenders and waitresses we have ever had on a cruise.

 

Hiccup here:  If you have a CPAP machine and use Distilled Water then there were issues.  There wasn't any in the cabin so I went to guest services.  They said that I had to get it from the Medical Center.  So the next day went to the Medical Center and they said they were out and that I would have to go onshore the first port and buy some and I would be allowed to bring it back.  Well where do you buy distilled water in Ochos Rios??  The next day I got a note to contact CS to make sure I received every thing I needed from special needs so I explained no.  I was told they could make distilled water on the ship so they made me a gallon that lasted the whole cruise.  Problem Solved.

 

I am sure I am forgetting some things but overall like I said, it was a great 32 days and I did not want to come home but we had to because if we stayed on too much longer I fear my clothes would not fit.🤣  We have the Seaside booked next year for 21 days and looking to book more on MSC.  We had hiccups but nothing that would make us not love it!  If you have any questions just ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I forgot about b2b turnaround.  It was awful but this was NOT MSC's fault.  I repeat, it was not MSC's fault.  People kept complaining that MSC needed to get their act together, well it had nothing to do with MSC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Embarkation on 12/9 was awful.  Not all of it was MSC's fault, though.  Traffic was insane (several huge ships in port that day).  I had stayed at a hotel near FLL and had booked an 11:30 shuttle pickup.  He didn't arrive until 12:45.  He said there were 4 accidents northbound on his way.  Going south, there had just been another big wreck with at least a dozen cars and most of the northbound lanes closed.  Thank goodness he missed that one!

 

Apparently we weren't at their "usual" terminal, so that may have had something to do with it.  By the time we got to the port, the line was way out the door to get through security, and then the line for checking was also out the door.  Other lines that I've sailed don't let you through security with water, so I didn't have any with me.  Looked around and other people had bottles of water.  I did have a snack in my bag so at least had that to eat, but water to wash it down would've been nice.

 

I didn't get to my cabin until nearly 3 pm.  I knew things would improve after that!

 

I had the DOU and didn't bother to upgrade.  I typically drink Pinot Grigio and the only white wine choices were both Chardonnay.  I drank one for the first couple of days but don't think it agreed with me so stopped and switched to rum & coke or beer during the day.  I'm not usually a Heineken fan but the draft was quite good, so I was happy with that.  Then went to Prosecco with dinner.

 

I was in a Bella inside, deck 9.  Cabin was fine for a solo.  I was just around the corner from what I called the single "secret" elevator.  Problem with being on the end was that there was a crew area next/behind me and the big metal door was slammed over and over and over.  Last night, they must've been using that area for luggage collection because they keep me awake into the wee hours.  Just glad I wasn't driving home because I was a zombie the next day.

 

My M&G invitation arrived either the first evening or the 2nd day.  It was scheduled for the 2nd sea day at 10 am, which the day we lost an hour moving the clock forward during the night.  I slept late, and just didn't feel well.  Had friends who went and enjoyed it but said it was not well attended.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ready to cruise again.....at least you had Dos Equis.  We did not on our cruise before yours,,,,,They need people that know what the heck to do. We had no problems on the Seaside but they also had no Dos Equis, The pizza was great.  Burgers no ...

pout side of that Seaside to me was the better cruise ship and like I was told by crew that they always switch the help and our girl told us she had to go back to the Seaside on the next cruise.,  This girl went way behind her job. She was everywhere were she was a bar server.  At night she was in the disco. We have become friends with her and our bartender who was on the Seaside who now is on the Armonia. I probably spelled it wrong, sorry Any way these people work so much and I feel sad for them cause they leave their families to support them better..and yes we took very good care of them besides the tips they already got...

 

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy New Year.   and pleas keep as posted on your next cruise,  Happy Sailing

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

Embarkation on 12/9 was awful.  Not all of it was MSC's fault, though.  Traffic was insane (several huge ships in port that day).  I had stayed at a hotel near FLL and had booked an 11:30 shuttle pickup.  He didn't arrive until 12:45.  He said there were 4 accidents northbound on his way.  Going south, there had just been another big wreck with at least a dozen cars and most of the northbound lanes closed.  Thank goodness he missed that one!

 

Apparently we weren't at their "usual" terminal, so that may have had something to do with it.  By the time we got to the port, the line was way out the door to get through security, and then the line for checking was also out the door.  Other lines that I've sailed don't let you through security with water, so I didn't have any with me.  Looked around and other people had bottles of water.  I did have a snack in my bag so at least had that to eat, but water to wash it down would've been nice.

 

I didn't get to my cabin until nearly 3 pm.  I knew things would improve after that!

 

I had the DOU and didn't bother to upgrade.  I typically drink Pinot Grigio and the only white wine choices were both Chardonnay.  I drank one for the first couple of days but don't think it agreed with me so stopped and switched to rum & coke or beer during the day.  I'm not usually a Heineken fan but the draft was quite good, so I was happy with that.  Then went to Prosecco with dinner.

 

I was in a Bella inside, deck 9.  Cabin was fine for a solo.  I was just around the corner from what I called the single "secret" elevator.  Problem with being on the end was that there was a crew area next/behind me and the big metal door was slammed over and over and over.  Last night, they must've been using that area for luggage collection because they keep me awake into the wee hours.  Just glad I wasn't driving home because I was a zombie the next day.

 

My M&G invitation arrived either the first evening or the 2nd day.  It was scheduled for the 2nd sea day at 10 am, which the day we lost an hour moving the clock forward during the night.  I slept late, and just didn't feel well.  Had friends who went and enjoyed it but said it was not well attended.

 

I looked for you at the M & G but could not find you.  It was a really bad turn out and quite embarrassing that MSC had gone to so much trouble to set it up and barely any showed up.  I would say probably due to the time change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I looked for you at the M & G but could not find you.  It was a really bad turn out and quite embarrassing that MSC had gone to so much trouble to set it up and barely any showed up.  I would say probably due to the time change.

I would have shown up if i got the invite to tell me where and when.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, NCTribeFan said:

I was in a Bella inside, deck 9.  Cabin was fine for a solo.  I was just around the corner from what I called the single "secret" elevator.  Problem with being on the end was that there was a crew area next/behind me and the big metal door was slammed over and over and over.  Last night, they must've been using that area for luggage collection because they keep me awake into the wee hours.  Just glad I wasn't driving home because I was a zombie the next day.

 

Hi, we are booked in a Bella inside, deck 9 in January.  Would you mind giving your exact cabin number? I am hoping we are not in the same area.  Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:35 AM, ready2cruzagain said:

Oh and the pizza was delicious!!  (The pizza is better in Eataly though)….

 

Quote

We did use our 3 free meals we got for Black Card status on each cruise at Eataly.  I can say I liked the MDR a lot better.  The variety in the Eataly is horrible.  Main entree is 2 choices, steak or sea bass in broth which made it a soup.  Service in Eataly was pretty bad.  Pizza for an app was great though, huge I must say, 12 inch pizza for an app is large.

 

 

I'm currently on Divina.  The pizza on deck 14 is crap in my opinion; however, the pay pizza on deck 7 is wonderful.

 

As for your comments on the main dining room vs. Eataly: our experience has been totally the opposite.  We had horrible service in the main dining room and the food wasn't much better.  The first night I ordered blackened grouper which wasn't blackened in the least, although admittedly, it tasted fine.  My wife ordered a steamed fish from the gluten-free menu which was completely tasteless.The second night I ordered grilled snapper and was served some sort of unidentifiable lumpy, breaded mass which I'm fairly certain was some type of fish, but it definitely wasn't snapper and it certainly hadn't been grilled. We had other problems as well, but suffice it to say that that was the last dinner we've eaten in the main dining room.

 

Since that time, we've eaten almost exclusively in Eataly.  Tonight will be our sixth meal there. Again, contrasted with your review, we've found the service to be impeccable and the variety almost endless.  By your description, it appears that you ordered the prix fixe three-course dinner, which does have limited choices.  That was your mistake.  We've been ordering a la carte each night, and each night we've eaten different items from the numerous selections of starters, pastas and other entrees'. Everything we've ordered has been delicious. My wife especially enjoys being able to eat a different gluten-free pasta dish each night.

 

Eating dinner in Eataly has saved our cruise. Given the problems we experienced in the dining room the first two nights, as well as issues with Guest Services and Housekeeping, I was seriously considering arranging to debark from the cruise early and flying home.  However, things improved greatly after those first two days to such an extent that my wife is lobbying me to book another cruise with MSC. I'm not quite there yet, but I may give them a second chance as well.

Edited by MadManOfBethesda
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...