Cruise Critic Community
Raycin

Ultimate dining package question

Does anyone know if I can get embarkation lunch on brilliance? Got the package today for $90 per person. Which even if embarkation day isn’t included, still is $12.85 a meal sooo not bad! 

6 minutes ago, Notaworryintheworld said:

Does anyone know if I can get embarkation lunch on brilliance? Got the package today for $90 per person. Which even if embarkation day isn’t included, still is $12.85 a meal sooo not bad! 

Check out the Cruise Compass for day 1:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607518-a-brilliant-review-with-menus-and-compass/

I didn't see any specialty restaurants open for lunch on day 1.

20 hours ago, twangster said:

Let's face it, $24 per day for dinner when you have already paid for dinner in the MDR is a very high price to pay.  A part of that high price is the gratuity (service charge) for the staff.

For us, the additional price of the dining package is well worth it and we don't think it's a high price to pay.  The food in the MDR, as far as I am concerned, sounds far better than it tastes.  I also think the dining room is noisy, service is slow, drink service is almost non-existent.  We have ordered drinks when we were first seated and received them late into the entree and there was no chance of a second glass of wine with dinner.  

Dinner in the WJ is still going to a buffet and that is not our choice.  We did try it on our Allure cruise last January on the last night and it wasn't anything great.  The crepes were good, but the line was long and it took a while to get them.

I have no idea how much of the upcharge for the specialty restaurant packages is the gratuity/service charge.  It really doesn't matter though as we tip our servers extra every night.  We have had the best service on Allure in Chops and Giovanni's and hopefully will get that same service on Harmony and again on Allure.

We all have different expectations and things that matter to us and our choice is enjoying a family dinner in a more relaxed setting with excellent service.  Once we find a waiter we like, we request him nightly and so far have been very pleased.

21 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes, it would be included.  Probably not the best value though.

My son is looking forward to using our package at JR on sea days for lunch. We just bought it for our 9 night Southern Caribbean for 162 per person.

If you go to make your reservations on the first day I assume that the restaurant can look up where RCL has booked you for the first night?  Is that correct?

57 minutes ago, molly361 said:

If you go to make your reservations on the first day I assume that the restaurant can look up where RCL has booked you for the first night?  Is that correct?

Correct any restaurant can see this.

2 questions

1. Do you get both lunch and dinner on sea days? Like you could go to JR for lunch and then Chops for dinner.

2. Hibachi isn't included?

Thanks for the help.

3 minutes ago, dairymancruiser said:

2 questions

1. Do you get both lunch and dinner on sea days? Like you could go to JR for lunch and then Chops for dinner.

2. Hibachi isn't included?

Thanks for the help.

Yes & Yes

Yes, lunch and dinner on sea day.

JR is not considered a specialty restaurant.  It's not included.  I'll caveat that on the standard Royal disclaimer - some ships can vary.  Oasis does not count it as a specialty restaurant and JR is not included.  (I confirmed this yesterday)

Hibachi is not included.  That's in the "Additional Terms and Conditions" available in the cruise planner.  However, here on Oasis I got a call on day one from Izumi offering me Hibachi on day one only.  This can vary by ship and sailing.  Don't count it.

Edited by twangster

4 minutes ago, dairymancruiser said:

Thank you.

You could even have Chops lunch and Chops dinner on the same day.  😉 😄

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

JR is not considered a specialty restaurant.  It's not included.  I'll caveat that on the standard Royal disclaimer - some ships can vary.  Oasis does not count it as a specialty restaurant and JR is not included.  (I confirmed this yesterday)

Hibachi is not included.  That's in the "Additional Terms and Conditions" available in the cruise planner.  However, here on Oasis I got a call on day one from Izumi offering me Hibachi on day one only.  This can vary by ship and sailing.  Don't count it.

Good to know, we are on the Allure. I wouldn't mind Hibachi on the first day. JR is not a big deal to us, just thought if it was part of the package.

Just now, dairymancruiser said:

Good to know, we are on the Allure. I wouldn't mind Hibachi on the first day. JR is not a big deal to us, just thought if it was part of the package.

My table at Hibachi last night at 7:30pm had 5 empty seats.  Table behind me 4 empty seats.  Never hurts to drop by Hibachi and ask on day one, just understand they don't have to, the policy states it's not included.

Warning on specialty lunches - there is a lot of food.  I'm moving my dinners to later in the evening because I'm still bloated by lunch at 6pm.

I’d just like to confirm a few things:

Is the food at Vintage and Sabor included in the ultimate dining package? And if so I know they pay up to $35 at certain alacarte places. Is that a one time deal or can we go to these places multiple times?And is that per person or the entire check?

20 minutes ago, Raycin said:

Is the food at Vintage and Sabor included in the ultimate dining package? And if so I know they pay up to $35 at certain alacarte places. Is that a one time deal or can we go to these places multiple times?And is that per person or the entire check?

Here on Oasis I haven't tried to eat at Vintages but another couple in 150 CP tonight referenced using the UDP discount to purchase the food/wine pairing event at Vintages.  

You'll notice within the UDP Terms and Conditions that "culinary experiences" are not included but get a 20% discount.  

As far Sabor it is a specialty restaurant so it is included.  

You can go to any specialty restaurant as many times as you want provided there is a reservation available.   You could do nothing but Chops every night.   I wouldn't personally do that but to each their own.  

Edited by twangster

Just to be clear on the 'is gratuity included with UDP' question, this is printed on all of my zero cost checks using UDP on Oasis:

755227988_UDPGratuityBill.jpg.277fac59fc6d0b39d10e8cc25db9f6f2.jpg

4 hours ago, twangster said:

We were allowed to dine at Hibachi on Iasis with the 4 night package.  Not on the other ships.  From the posts I’ve read it has been a Oasis allowing the exception based on availability while the other ships don’t. 

18 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

We were allowed to dine at Hibachi on Iasis with the 4 night package.  Not on the other ships.  From the posts I’ve read it has been a Oasis allowing the exception based on availability while the other ships don’t. 

Here on Oasis they are very competitive and each specialty restaurant seems to be pleased when you ask to have your reservation switched from a different restaurant.  

Standard RCI implementation of a policy.  Ships and sail date can vary.  YMMV.

14 minutes ago, twangster said:

Here on Oasis they are very competitive and each specialty restaurant seems to be pleased when you ask to have your reservation switched from a different restaurant.  

Standard RCI implementation of a policy.  Ships and sail date can vary.  YMMV.

We also found that they were competitive on Oasis last March. 

10 hours ago, Raycin said:

Good question.

11 hours ago, Raycin said:

I don't believe Vintages is considered a specialty restarant for the purposes of the UDP.

For our Christmas Freedom cruise the ultimate dining plan is $126 pp but Christmas Eve and Christmas dinner is blacked out at Chops and Giovanni's.  So that would mean Sabor, JRs or the MDR (which is already included in the cruise fare) for those 2 nights. Even at $126 it doesn't seem like a good deal.

Thoughts?

55 minutes ago, starrcards said:

For our Christmas Freedom cruise the ultimate dining plan is $126 pp but Christmas Eve and Christmas dinner is blacked out at Chops and Giovanni's.  So that would mean Sabor, JRs or the MDR (which is already included in the cruise fare) for those 2 nights. Even at $126 it doesn't seem like a good deal.

Thoughts?

Not being a fan of Sabor, it would not be worth it to us, losing two nights at those restaurants.