Cruise Critic Community
kimi99

Visa On Arrival Service On Westerdam.

We are going on our first cruise at the start of January 2019 through Asia. We have been told we will need visas for Vietnam and Cambodia. HA told us they can provide the VOA service onboard. We have Australian passports.Just wondering if they charge very much for this service. Not sure if it is any cheaper to arrange before we sail.

Edited by kimi99
left out nationality.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Not sure if the prices are any different depending on your country, but with a US passport I paid $55 for the Vietnam visa this year.  In my experience it is so much easier just to let the ship get your visa and the cost is not that much different.

Edited by Scrapnana

Just returned from Shanghai to Singapore and HAL arranges Vietnam group Visa for $56 US per person and $63 US for the Cambodia Visa. All the paperwork/pictures arrive in your cabin on embarkation and they charge your shipboard account. Agree with Scrapnana. Much easier to let HAL provide them. 

Just make sure you have a Chinese visa if you are visiting Shanghai or Beijing. A couple was removed from the Westerdam as they didn’t know they needed a Chinese Visa. A good travel agent will know the facts. Basically, from my travels, only three visas definitely need to be purchased before a cruise: Brazil, China and India. Although, I would probably add Venezuela to the list. HAL cancelled our port call due lack of clarity as to whether a visa was needed. 

We did an overland to Cambodia from Vietnam this year on the World Cruise. Once onboard, we had a choice of two visas for Vietnam. The more expensive was for those doing an overland. As for the Cambodia visa, we received it on arrival at the Siem Reap Airport. On previous visits to Cambodia, we purchased it onboard.

There use to be a page listing the countries that you could purchase visas onboard, but it seems to have disappeared among all the website upgrade mess!