Cruise Critic Community
PAULINELESLEY

Missing the ship

We fly in on the day of the cruise from the UK we should land at 15.00 hours and the ship sails at 23.00. We have booked our own flights so not expecting any help from Seabourn, IF our flight is delayed how easy is it to get to the next port of Mayeau, help please.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Do you mean Mayreau?  Where are you flying into?

Hi yes I do mean Mayreau, we fly from London to Barbados.

:classic_ohmy:You are far more brave than I!  

What time of year are you travelling? In the winter months there can be huge delays from London airports due to fog, snow etc.

I visited Mayreau with Seabourn a few years ago. There was nothing much there. I'm sure there isn't an airport. 

What is your next port after Mayreau? 

16 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

:classic_ohmy:You are far more brave than I!  

What time of year are you travelling? In the winter months there can be huge delays from London airports due to fog, snow etc.

We were coming back home from London one year and my suitcase got left behind at London. It took 4 days for it to arrive at New Zealand. At least we were coming home not just starting our cruise

We have always flown in at least one day early for a chance of our luggage to catch up with us

You would have to fly to Union Island & then take a 20 minute boat ride to Mayreau.

Edited by DCCruiser57
Add word

It might be too late to change your flights but if you can arrive a day earlier than the sailing date then I urge you to do so. Too many things can delay you, especially if you’ll need to catch ferries, etc.

You may of course have no problems at all, but all that stress and uncertainty isn’t a great way to start your cruise!

46 minutes ago, RustyRollock said:

It might be too late to change your flights but if you can arrive a day earlier than the sailing date then I urge you to do so. Too many things can delay you, especially if you’ll need to catch ferries, etc

I seriously wonder if these people use a Travel Agent what advice they are given and if they do their own arrangements do they think about the possible consequences  

Flying halfway around the world and arriving a few hours before the cruise departure is a recipe for disaster - it only needs one thing to go wrong including baggage issues and your luxury holiday is ruined or certainly more stressful than it needs to be

I never fly in the day of the cruise, and no nothings ever gone wrong but I've seen too many others strike problems to want to even chance it

We would never ever fly in the same day.  We always fly in one or two days before a cruise and relax and no stress.  Good travel agents should advise you of this.  Penny wise and dollar foolish is not the way to go.  If you booked and have no insurance you are SOL.

It always baffles me why people spend thousands on a luxury cruise but then baulk at paying a fraction of that on a hotel the day before departure or even travel/health insurance.  Fly in the day of departure if you wish, but please at least make sure you have adequate travel insurance to cover any expenses incurred by missing and then catching up with the ship later. Bon voyage!

If you buy the cruise fly option, Seabourn's flight arrive at the same time and day as the poster of this thread advertises ! They don't come in 1 day before.

Our Seabourn flight to Singapore arrives a day early and they put us in a hotel for the night, this is because the timings are too tight.

58 minutes ago, salbags said:

If you buy the cruise fly option, Seabourn's flight arrive at the same time and day as the poster of this thread advertises ! They don't come in 1 day before.

Yes but as the OP said they booked their own flights - so they are on their own if things go pear shaped

Seabourn will only hold the ship in port so long then move on. Seabourn Air passengers will be looked after and join the ship at another port at Seabourn cost but anyone with private arrangements will have to arrange their own catchup at their expense 

If it were me I’d sooner avoid that hassle by making arrangements that got me in the day before 

I definetly would change flight to the day before. UK’s weather unpredictable. Barbados airport can be crazy, both getting thru customs and to departing flights. Last minute booking small flights in Caribbean gives a true meaning to hassle. Tiny planes go island to island. Everything on “Caribbean time”. Doubt there will be anyone to talk to in the evenings to book next flight if missed. Last minute hotels in Barbados due to missing the ship will be expensive. Once again there is no way I would cut it this close.

Your flight is booked and unlikely you can change at this late stage. So let’s not dwell on the negatives. Obviously, when you booked the flight you had no concerns but now have, understandably, last minute nerves.

I don’t know which cruise you are on, but if one in December there is no forecast of snow in London in the foreseeable future. Assuming you are travelling with BA or Virgin, they have an good departure record from Gatwick and have back up aircraft if the incoming aircraft is delayed. Even if your flight is delayed by a few hours you have time with the 11.00pm sailing. 

There will be people on your flight who have booked the Seabourn flight and transfers. If things do go belly up, you won’t be alone!

We have often flown same day to join the ship in Europe including one flight with BA to Istanbul and joining the Odyssey that day. However, I must admit for longer flights we would go out a couple of days early if we are travelling independently. An added bonus with this is to get into the time zone quicker!

Bon Voyage and enjoy your cruise. We are flying this Thursday and embark Odyssey on Saturday.

In September we were joining the Quest in Montreal.  We live in NYC (flight time to Montreal circa one hour).  We have spent a lot of time in Montreal, but booked a flight for the day before in order to enjoy an afternoon, dinner and embarkation morning in that lovely city.  Due to weather conditions in the South and Midwest, incoming flights were held at departure points.  Our noon flight was delayed again and again until finally cancelled at 7 p.m. 

We were re-booked for an 8:30 a.m. flight the following morning, and with NO luggage (checked bags were to be put on the new flight) were put up in the LGA Marriott for the night - 15 minutes from our apartment lol!   Arrived at the airport the next morning with two of our three bags accounted for on the Delta app.  Great gate agent tracked down the errant bag and came on board prior to take off to assure us all the luggage was safely stowed.  From wheels up to wheels down flight was about 50 minutes, so we were through immigration and on our way to the Quest shortly after 10 a.m.. 

All ended well, but we missed the evening in Montreal to which we had been looking forward and incurred a bit of unnecessary stress - even though we planned to arrive a day prior to sailing.   So keep in mind problems can occur on short flights as well as long haul trips.

We try to fly in 1 or 2 days before when flying over seas and book the closest 'nice' hotel to the cruise port.  We got really lucky in Barcelona booking the Eros Stars Grand Marina hotel.  We woke up to see our SB parked outside of our window and only to wheel our bags 30 feet to the ship.

9 minutes ago, brenecke said:

In September we were joining the Quest in Montreal.  We live in NYC (flight time to Montreal circa one hour).  We have spent a lot of time in Montreal, but booked a flight for the day before in order to enjoy an afternoon, dinner and embarkation morning in that lovely city. 

We took the Montreal to Miami cruise on the Quest in 2017 and came in the day before (from Florida).  We arrived very late at our Marriott hotel in Montreal and found out the Marriott bumped us - sorry not rooms available.  They did, however, get us a room at the Wyndham free of charge.  This worked out perfectly because I LOVE the Wyndham heavenly beds and we ended up much closer to the cruise port.

I am sorry to have come off as pessimistic. With Delta we can change flights for a fee. If that was option I would consider. Would let you be aware of the ability to fast track arrival thru the Barbados airport. We took a Seabourn cruise last February round trip Barbados. We were warned by our Travel Agent that 3 large planes land at the same time around three pm into Barbados. Often lines several hours long. My husband was scheduled for a hip replacement a week after after our Cruise and standing in one place caused him the most discomfort. We booked Fast Track Arrival Service at the Barbados airport. I think it was US $60 pp, google if interested. Immediately on exiting the plane a person had a sign with our name on it. We got through the airport and were checked in the Hilton near the airport in 30 minutes. The regular line was indeed long.

I also hate being a pessimist but I was to fly on Saturday and arrived at the airport and looked at the board “Flight Cancelled”. I go to the desk, high winds prevent planes from flying, “you will fly out tomorrow at 7:00am”. It can and does happen. 

On 11/25/2018 at 10:28 AM, salbags said:

FYI - in case it was not mentioned - you CAN adjust Seabourn Flights flights to arrive the day before the cruise departure.  We did it for our daughter flying out of Charlotte to Barbados for our next cruise.  We didn't want her worrying about how (or having to actually make arrangements) to catch up with us if something went amiss with her flights.  It was not that much more than flying in on day of cruise departure.  They did not include the arrival transfer (since it is not a "Seabourn Hotel") - but did include us all in the departure transfer back to the airport.

One service we splurge for is meet and greet on international flights and we do come in early.  The advantages to this service is they greet you and take your passports and speed you right through even if you don’t have global entry.  A private car awaits you.  Also, they will take you to a lounge when you are departing and will come and get you and assist with any carryon items you may have. Some will use carts to transport you to the gate.

We just can’t stand in long lines anymore.  If interested in this service contact your TA they should know about it.

On 24 November 2018 at 4:55 PM, PAULINELESLEY said:

We fly in on the day of the cruise from the UK we should land at 15.00 hours and the ship sails at 23.00. We have booked our own flights so not expecting any help from Seabourn, IF our flight is delayed how easy is it to get to the next port of Mayeau, help please.

Thank you to everyone with your comments and advice regarding missing the cruise, I have asked Virgin about going one or two days before but they are nearly full therefore the cost is horrendous, the other problem is the test series is on in Bridgetown so all the hotels are full, so it has become a nightmare, but thank you, we will keep our fingers crossed.

14 hours ago, PAULINELESLEY said:

Thank you to everyone with your comments and advice regarding missing the cruise, I have asked Virgin about going one or two days before but they are nearly full therefore the cost is horrendous, the other problem is the test series is on in Bridgetown so all the hotels are full, so it has become a nightmare, but thank you, we will keep our fingers crossed.

FYI our friends are on the BA flight that arrives 15:15 so they will be in same boat as you if things go pear shaped.

Dare I say weather forecast is looking ok, no snow or fog so that shouldn't impact on flights.