Living on the Edge with vtcruising!: A Live Review!

vtcruising

18 minutes ago, FM said:

Is that the crystal model of the Edge that is available for sale? And for how much?

yes, in the Edge gift shop for $120 - the plastic one is $55. It doesn't include the stand - I asked.

Edited by vtcruising

11 minutes ago, FM said:

Really curious as to how big the closet space is for hanging clothes as it looks quite small from the video … and is there room under the bed to store luggage? Also does anyone know how much space is between the edge of the bed and the wall - enough to get aa scooter through?  Thanks …

Lots of space under the bed - we had two huge ones  and 2 carry ons under our bed. The closet had plenty of space for us - it is a little smaller than s class, I think. Here is a picture, but doesn't show the whole thing:

closet.jpg.aabdddb12aa16dfbc27915c0d1bcfab4.jpg

32 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I'm sure 11268 is going to be wonderful! I'm still hoping that the bathroom will have that great window so we can look out to sea. The very first, and only time that we had something similarly was on a Holland America ship eons ago. Absolutely loved it!

Excited...me...? 🙃  😉 😁 I've never had this much fun getting ready for an Inaugural cruise since the Solstice!

I know what you mean!! 😁

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deborah&BillS said:

Can anyone who is sailing on the Edge tell me who is the cruise director? I'm on the Jan 13th sailing and would love to know if it's Alejandro. Thanks! 

Right now it is Maarten Bruel.  I do hope that he is on our Jan 13 sailing.  He seemed pretty good; but didn't have much exposure on this short cruise.

12 minutes ago, Deborah&BillS said:

Can anyone who is sailing on the Edge tell me who is the cruise director? I'm on the Jan 13th sailing and would love to know if it's Alejandro. Thanks! 

There has been a recent change - unsure why. Peter (Esprit) just posted today:

"Quick update. Lewis Power-Stannard is now on board and will be the Cruise Director until 8 December. He'll then return to the Edge as CD in early January."  Not sure who is on from Dec 9th to Jan 8th. Maybe we will get more info soon.

Edited by vtcruising

We had a nice lunch at the Roof Top Grill on Wed.  Had a great meal and lots of fun! The lunch menu is different from the dinner menu. At night they serve brisket, ribs and other BBQ. At lunch they serve:

276043473_rtgmneu3.jpg.31aa891127b5a982ea86e48c8ca7e31b.jpg

1323290212_rtgmenu3.jpg.b5ed3ef88038fcedc213231377849099.jpg

We shared the pulled pork slider variety (yum!) and the smoked chicken wings (delish!) for appetizers and I had the turkey club and my DH had the catfish sandwich for a main - both were excellent! The waiter, Maike (pronounced Mikee) was a lot of fun.  I ordered the Steakhouse Margarita, not knowing it had A1 steakhouse sauce in it - yuck! He replaced it with something more my style. He got a kick out of my face when I drank it - caution -always read the ingredients!😊

Yucky drink:

507311659_rtgyuck.jpg.055748e02c01925f8012da61c837bc34.jpg

Good drink:

229847278_rtgmarg.jpg.b3ea8f94d0a888974e66809eaa2eb780.jpg

Pulled Pork Slider Variety and Smoked Chicken Wings:

301435105_pulledporkslidersandsmokedchickenwings.jpg.f583394909c8860228b799b5eb1c5599.jpg

This was complimentary for us because it was a non-revenue cruise - lunch will be $25 PP for lunch and $45 PP for for dinner. They had some of the brisket as a sample - it was delicious!!

Link to dinner menu:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/edge/content/uploads/2018/02/Rooftop-Grill.pdf

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Back from Edge 2-day pre-cruise Nov 27-29.

Hi VTcruising, Jealous your going again tomorrow. Bon voyage!

In response to TeeRick, Yes, the Edge CS room is gorgeous and spacious. The suite amenities are the best. Luminae is a joy.

There were too many pillows! You had to move pillows to sit on the couch and balcony chairs. With space at a premium, it was contradictory to function. There is no longer a full “L” shaped couch. There is a large square ottoman in front of the glass door. The vinyl covered rocking chair was not comfortable for us. We would prefer a regular swivel chair like they show in the edge villa in a luxury fabric like the solstice class ships. We thought there was too much furniture in the salon, but not as comfortable as compared to prior ships, Silhouette, Equinox and Reflection.  

The 2 balcony chairs were thick cushioned vinyl and very comfortable. Had to remove pillows to sit. There was a small table and 2 additional small chairs that you could move to act as a foot rest. Touring the suites showed only the Edge Villas had 2 loungers. The loungers are why many cruise this line. Not everyone goes to the pool for any number of reasons. The CS and SS suites would be knock outs, if they just give us back our balcony loungers and foot rests.

The CS lighting was confusing.. The powder room lights go out after a time, which was “unexpected” J. There is a night light on the cabinet, so not pitch dark, but still unexpected. Also the makeup desk lights did not turn on sometimes and we found they are on the main control by the cabin door. Suggest the room steward explain the 1st day.

LOTS of nice storage bins with a long counter top and 3 big drawers in main salon. The cabinet and closet doors required a good pull to open. No handles or knobs, just recessed finger pulls.  There is a 2’ wide closet just inside the cabin door with rods.

The bedroom was beautiful and luxurious. The bed is firm and comfortable with silky sheets and the best ever new pillows. There is 3’ wide hanging closet a full upper rod and a partial lower rod. The adjacent cabinet has 3 big drawers and a safe. There were luxurious grey robes with terry fleece and two pair of Frette slippers. These were the nicest by far.

The makeup/desk was GREAT. The desk top lifts to expose a regular mirror and round magnified mirror so you can easily see close and far!  The hair dryer is loose and can be used anywhere. There was a USB port and 2 regular electrical outlets at the desk. Bring a portable speaker if you want music. We used the ipad.

The bathroom tub is too narrow with a partial glass door. The tub bottom had sloped sides, which DH said made it hard to stand. Water splashes off you’re your body and drips down your arms outside as you shower. This cabin will need lots of floor towels and we felt bad for the room steward. We thought this was very poor design for any bathroom, let alone a luxury suite on a brand NEW ship!! This needs to go back to the drawing board or add a shower curtain.

The fancy white tissue box sits on the sink counter and hogs all the counter space. I would move this. There were 2 towel bars on the tub wall. There was a small pin by each sink to hold a hand towel. We suggest towel bars and a shelf behind the toilet like the older ships.

IMO, the glass doors between the bedroom and salon make this cabin not realistic for two couples or 4 adults unless you are VERY VERY close. We were 2 people. You can’t see through the glass, even with the light on, but it’s not a wall and you can hear more than if there was a wall. I think the solid wall between the rooms like the solstice class CS had was better for privacy and dual use of the room. Then the couch can be a full couch again with more seating and the bedroom can be private again. The door can enter from the unused hall, rather than eat up space in the couch area. And with the solid door, the bedroom can be dark if you want to sleep during the day. The other Edge CS design that was once considered, which looked more like the Signature Suite, may also be a better option. I look forward to see what other CS cabin cruisers have to say.  

The Retreat, Eden, artwork, gym and all the dining options are amazing. The main spaces surrounding Café el Baccio are full of life and inviting. We loved the ship and will be back. I hope the review seen as positive critique that the designers can use to make it better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

Back from Edge 2-day pre-cruise Nov 27-29.

Hi VTcruising, Jealous your going again tomorrow. Bon voyage!

In response to TeeRick, Yes, the Edge CS room is gorgeous and spacious. The suite amenities are the best. Luminae is a joy.

There were too many pillows! You had to move pillows to sit on the couch and balcony chairs. With space at a premium, it was contradictory to function. There is no longer a full “L” shaped couch. There is a large square ottoman in front of the glass door. The vinyl covered rocking chair was not comfortable for us. We would prefer a regular swivel chair like they show in the edge villa in a luxury fabric like the solstice class ships. We thought there was too much furniture in the salon, but not as comfortable as compared to prior ships, Silhouette, Equinox and Reflection.  

The 2 balcony chairs were thick cushioned vinyl and very comfortable. Had to remove pillows to sit. There was a small table and 2 additional small chairs that you could move to act as a foot rest. Touring the suites showed only the Edge Villas had 2 loungers. The loungers are why many cruise this line. Not everyone goes to the pool for any number of reasons. The CS and SS suites would be knock outs, if they just give us back our balcony loungers and foot rests.

The CS lighting was confusing.. The powder room lights go out after a time, which was “unexpected” J. There is a night light on the cabinet, so not pitch dark, but still unexpected. Also the makeup desk lights did not turn on sometimes and we found they are on the main control by the cabin door. Suggest the room steward explain the 1st day.

LOTS of nice storage bins with a long counter top and 3 big drawers in main salon. The cabinet and closet doors required a good pull to open. No handles or knobs, just recessed finger pulls.  There is a 2’ wide closet just inside the cabin door with rods.

The bedroom was beautiful and luxurious. The bed is firm and comfortable with silky sheets and the best ever new pillows. There is 3’ wide hanging closet a full upper rod and a partial lower rod. The adjacent cabinet has 3 big drawers and a safe. There were luxurious grey robes with terry fleece and two pair of Frette slippers. These were the nicest by far.

The makeup/desk was GREAT. The desk top lifts to expose a regular mirror and round magnified mirror so you can easily see close and far!  The hair dryer is loose and can be used anywhere. There was a USB port and 2 regular electrical outlets at the desk. Bring a portable speaker if you want music. We used the ipad.

The bathroom tub is too narrow with a partial glass door. The tub bottom had sloped sides, which DH said made it hard to stand. Water splashes off you’re your body and drips down your arms outside as you shower. This cabin will need lots of floor towels and we felt bad for the room steward. We thought this was very poor design for any bathroom, let alone a luxury suite on a brand NEW ship!! This needs to go back to the drawing board or add a shower curtain.

The fancy white tissue box sits on the sink counter and hogs all the counter space. I would move this. There were 2 towel bars on the tub wall. There was a small pin by each sink to hold a hand towel. We suggest towel bars and a shelf behind the toilet like the older ships.

IMO, the glass doors between the bedroom and salon make this cabin not realistic for two couples or 4 adults unless you are VERY VERY close. We were 2 people. You can’t see through the glass, even with the light on, but it’s not a wall and you can hear more than if there was a wall. I think the solid wall between the rooms like the solstice class CS had was better for privacy and dual use of the room. Then the couch can be a full couch again with more seating and the bedroom can be private again. The door can enter from the unused hall, rather than eat up space in the couch area. And with the solid door, the bedroom can be dark if you want to sleep during the day. The other Edge CS design that was once considered, which looked more like the Signature Suite, may also be a better option. I look forward to see what other CS cabin cruisers have to say.  

The Retreat, Eden, artwork, gym and all the dining options are amazing. The main spaces surrounding Café el Baccio are full of life and inviting. We loved the ship and will be back. I hope the review seen as positive critique that the designers can use to make it better.

Thanks, I hated to speak for you since you were so eloquent.

I have to agree that the staterooms on this ship are Hoppen with pillows! 😉

We enjoyed our dinner with you at the FCSH and chat in the Retreat. Hope you can get back on the Edge!! We will toast you and your DH tomorrow night! 😊

Edited by vtcruising
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

yes, in the Edge gift shop for $120 - the plastic one is $55. It doesn't include the stand - I asked.

So, it loses its charm because it is sitting flat on the table?  What's with that???  I do think, however, that if you find some nice aqua paper to put under it to mimic the Caribbean sea colors, it might be prettier than hanging out in mid air, as it were. 

And, just for those of us who absolutely have to ask, how much IS the stand?  *LOL*

No, Thank You VT for responding. As you can see, I do not post a lot and was greatful you replied. Cruise Critic has been a fabulous source to me. I salute everyone who takes the time to share. Your detailed work on the Edge is enlightening and entertaining and your photos are amazing!!   Love those drink photos :classic_smile:

I have my Edge metal drink cups, but did not get the book. I read the hardcover in the cabin.

I am already bugging DH about the next Edge cruise. December 2019, maybe!  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

So, it loses its charm because it is sitting flat on the table?  What's with that???  I do think, however, that if you find some nice aqua paper to put under it to mimic the Caribbean sea colors, it might be prettier than hanging out in mid air, as it were. 

And, just for those of us who absolutely have to ask, how much IS the stand?  *LOL*

I didn't ask....the aqua paper sounds good!

Edited by vtcruising

4 minutes ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

No, Thank You VT for responding. As you can see, I do not post a lot and was greatful you replied. Cruise Critic has been a fabulous source to me. I salute everyone who takes the time to share. Your detailed work on the Edge is enlightening and entertaining and your photos are amazing!!   Love those drink photos :classic_smile:

I have my Edge metal drink cups, but did not get the book. I read the hardcover in the cabin.

I am already bugging DH about the next Edge cruise. December 2019, maybe!  

Maybe the water bottles were just for the first cruise?

My goal is to have a photo of a drink in each bar by Monday night - I've got work to do! Such a hard life! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, beachbunny6 said:

Hey, I want the stand and aqua paper.....

bon voyage

4 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

I'm sure 11268 is going to be wonderful! I'm still hoping that the bathroom will have that great window so we can look out to sea. The very first, and only time that we had something similarly was on a Holland America ship eons ago. Absolutely loved it!

Excited...me...? 🙃  😉 😁 I've never had this much fun getting ready for an Inaugural cruise since the Solstice!

I am also happy to be a member of the club, but do not get to personally see it until April’s TA.  However, with all this forthcoming information, I should be extremely educated and have a diploma for the 11268 club❣️

See you in April...

Edited by Lastdance
My phone is acting up and it is brand new!
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, citruscruiser said:

Somewhere on the thread someone asked about Concierge Class embarkation lunch. I received an X email regarding boarding tomorrow and it mentioned the lunch. Didn’t say where though. Except I am in one of the rooms that were reclassified as Aqua!

I asked.  If you find out please post.  Congrats on being in one of the cabIns  reclassified to Aqua! 

Edited by ecslady

Oh we were reclassified too - our cruise isn’t till July though. Have a fabulous cruise! 

15 minutes ago, citruscruiser said:

Somewhere on the thread someone asked about Concierge Class embarkation lunch. I received an X email regarding boarding tomorrow and it mentioned the lunch. Didn’t say where though. Except I am in one of the rooms that were reclassified as Aqua!

44 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

How is the green feature disabled? 

He thinks he hit the settings button above and went under temperature  to change string - there must be one for lights too. 

It was funny because I would check my room temp at the other end of the ship with my app and change it, if desired and it would be the new temp when I returned. I was going to try the drapes too, but didn’t. Next time....

Love the app!!

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

He thinks he hit the settings button above and went under temperature  to change string - there must be one for lights too. 

It was funny because I would check my room temp at the other end of the ship with my app and change it, if desired and it would be the new temp when I returned. I was going to try the drapes too, but didn’t. Next time....

Love the app!!

I agree about loving the app.  It really does do a lot.  I am also looking forward to next time where I can relax and really play with everything and take my time getting pics that I need.  That day and half cruise just wasn't enough for me.