Cuba. Visa question

wendyp247

Yes, they will get the visa, though you have to let them know you want them to get it.  if I remember there is a link though your online sign in.  It costs $75 and they give it to you when you check into the cruise.  For a tour, I recommend Blexie tours, ask for Yinela as your guide.  I went in October this year.  She was an amazing guide and very flexible, knowledgeable and very engaging. 

We just returned from Cuba.

It is AMAZING!

You need to apply for your VISA through NCL as soon as possible.

They will then have it for you when you board.

The cost is $75.

There are many local tour agencies.

We used one that is probably the best tour agency we've ever used - well at least in the top three.

Qbalibre Tours

It is a small company that aims to please.

Ask him for a convertible tour.  

We added a walking tour and we loved both.

•  

13 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

I am also going to Cuba, next May  and  I assume its gonna be too hot  for a convertable?     Anyone go at this time of the year? thx

I don't think it's ever too hot for a convertible.  Just wear lots of sunscreen.

It is an adventure that you don't want to miss while in Havana.

Havanajourneys is another great tour agency. Have any recent cruisers experienced the port time in Havana being cut short? I've been on the Sky twice & both times port time was cut by a couple of hours. Looking at another cruise on thee Sky & am wondering if it could happen again.

14 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Havanajourneys is another great tour agency. Have any recent cruisers experienced the port time in Havana being cut short? I've been on the Sky twice & both times port time was cut by a couple of hours. Looking at another cruise on thee Sky & am wondering if it could happen again.

We were in Havana 2 weeks ago on the SUN.

Sail away was to be at midnight and they were right on time.

No early departure and we arrived on time.

2 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Thank you. Was there any other ship in port while you were there?

I think we were the only ship in port.

We had the best tour and guide that we've had in a long long time.

Abel of qbalibretours.com  was amazing.  His English is better than mine and he was so good about explaining things.

He personalized our tour and found just the car we requested.

He added some things on that we hadn't expected and he treated us like royalty!

It didn't hurt that he is 6'6" and easy to see if you walk away from him.

We were there end of Sept.  booked the convertible myself online...it was $90 for 4...driver took us to Hemmingways (sp) house and fishing village plus everything else to see.almost a 5 hr tour...  Purchased visa when booked.  Was off the dock early so took a carriage ride for $30 for the 4 of us...went all over Old Havana ...a little over an hr.   At our Sail-away party we met this guy who was on his 4th cruise to Havana and has never bought an on ship tour...always just walked off the ship😃 Hope this helps

This is all very helpful, we were looking for exactly this kind of information before our cruise on the Sun in October.  We booked a tour with Blexie online from home and ordered our visas from NCL by phone.  Once onboard we were concerned about being OFAC-compliant (although being Canadian, it shouldn't be a problem, but someone raised the point about future entry into the US) so we also booked an evening tour through the ship as the Sun was in Havana until midnight.  The evening walking tour was excellent.  We were taken by bus to Sloppy Joe's bar, enjoyed a Sloppy Joe sandwich and a Cuba Libre (rum & coke) and then an additional drink of our choice (margarita or local beer, I had the margarita and my husband had the beer).  During our walk we stopped by a bar frequented by Hemingway and all were given mojitos.  We had no idea that was included. We also really enjoyed the six-hour tour during the day with our guide Yoly from Blexie's, which included a walking tour of old Havana and a tour in a 53 Chevy with lovely air-conditioning!

There was a Royal Caribbean ship (smaller than the Sun) that arrived at around 5 in the afternoon and was there when we departed at midnight.

Edited by Love Blue
additional detail

We were in Havana in November.

First, there were several Canadians on our cruise & they all took local tours.

I really wonder if it would affect your ability to enter the USA???

Our guide was Qbalibretours.com and they were amazing.

It's a small young agency and so far has 17 reviews on TripAdvisor and all are 5 stars.

We were taken to local restaurants versus Government owner.

Ask this question of your guide.

Government restaurants are more expensive and usually not as good as local ones.

We tours Sloppy Joes (Hemingway and many "stars" favorite), but didn't eat there.

We also toured Floridita (Hemingway favorite also) but did not eat there either.  We ate at small outof the way local places.

Very, very inexpensive  - and delicious.

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

Enjoy Havana! 

Be sure to see the show at the Tropicana Club.  Totally worth the price of a ticket!

Book it thru the ship, they transfer you via very nice motor coaches which is included.

Also, just outside the wharf terminal to the left ( if I recall) you will see a bus stop / pole for the walk on/walk off tour bus.  It's double decker and It was great!  it's a narrated tour that makes a huge loop around the city and you can get off and on as you like.  It was very inexpensive too 

Edited by Bermudian Cruiser