First time cruiser needs advice on making purchases

terrylw64

I know some will spend a bunch of time bartering to get prices low and just try to get the absolute best price.  I will haggle, but when I find somebody being nice with a souvenir (we like to just buy something small from each port, maybe a magnet or a small item for the shelf), I will usually get the price down a bit, but then just pay it.  I figure that they could use the few extra bucks much more than I, as I feel blessed to be able to cruise every year or two (which I know is not that much).  If we get somebody rude, aggressive, or just just get a bad feeling, then we just walk away. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 6:53 PM, Anyislandwilldo said:

Cozumel has a really nice port area for shopping.  Most of the stores are repeat souvenir stores but you might be able to score a good find.  Happy sailing!

I found most items in port are just souvenir junk, so it’s a rare thing for me to even buy anything in port. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2018 at 3:53 PM, coevan said:

Please do some research, Mexican Vanilla might not be as good as you think:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=6157423&page=1

Thanks for sharing the link. I always look for the vanilla bean in the list of ingredients and make sure the first ingredient is NOT water.  Hard to find. 

As much as my wife can't stand it,.one of my absolute favorite things to do is negotiate.  Might be why I like traveling to China   Mexico and the Middle East so much.  It's a game to me.

First and most importantly, know the value of something.   Is that silver or is it fake?  What is the market price for an Oz of silver (which is how most Mexican silver is sold).  What's the exchange rate?  Etc. Check 2 or 3 stores BEFORE making a purchase.  Almost nothing is unique to one store.  Knowledge is your friend. 

2nd, have small denominations of bills.  When you're offering $10 and they won't go below $15,  hand them 10 singles or 2 $5's.  Suddenly they price becomes more flexible. Can't do that if you only have $20s   it also reduces the the chance of getting change in a foreign currency and is much safer.   More likely to be a victim of crime when you flash larger bills.

Finally,  don't he afraid to walk away.   If they know you're going to buy something then the price becomes more rigid.   Keep trying at different stores.  Last year, I had something my wife absolutely wanted but we also had a max price for it (don't laugh, I didn't want to pay over $3, lowest we.found was $5).  Took me 14 stores but finally got the price I wanted.  And if you can't,  you can always go back and up your offer.

Good luck and enjoy