Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
John&LaLa

RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Curious - does your SetSail pass show deck and muster station?

Nothing.  Site will not let me in to check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Nothing.  Site will not let me in to check.

Did you check in via the app? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stompy said:

 

They have to opt in to the marketing email section in order to participate and many who have opted out aren't eligible for the RoyalUP program.

 

I understand that, but not sure how that impacts whether or not your travel agent has decided to participate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Nothing.  Site will not let me in to check.

Site now let’s me in.  Just says “guarantee”.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:44 PM, timf2001 said:

 

Does the new procedure still allow your TA to prevent you from bidding (i.e. big box store)?

 

I have received several Royal Ups for bookings with my TA.  Have also received them on comped sailings.  Only one was successful - from junior suite to owner's suite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone bid a RoyalUp on a (formerly) Cuba cruise? Booked on 7/3 Majesty sailing and bestie and I didn’t want to pay for a suite at the time of booking, even though it’s the only way to get a balcony. Now wondering if the itinerary changes have worked in anyone’s favor and hoping there’s a greater chance of success for our modest bid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BunnyHutt said:

Has anyone bid a RoyalUp on a (formerly) Cuba cruise? Booked on 7/3 Majesty sailing and bestie and I didn’t want to pay for a suite at the time of booking, even though it’s the only way to get a balcony. Now wondering if the itinerary changes have worked in anyone’s favor and hoping there’s a greater chance of success for our modest bid. 

 

Yes, I got a Royal Up offer on my Majesty Cuba cruise.  I cancelled when the itinerary was changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2019 at 2:42 PM, A3hourtour said:

Just wondering if anyone has used the Royal Up bidding system yet?  Do you know if they're still doing the traditional call and offer upgrades at a discounted price?

They seem to  be pretty determine to only upgrade via the royal up program. I received 3 offers for my cruise with the last offer only a few days before sailing. I doubt they are discounting anymore.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

They seem to  be pretty determine to only upgrade via the royal up program. I received 3 offers for my cruise with the last offer only a few days before sailing.

What ship and sailing? How did the offers work? From your post I gather they came on separate dates. Did you make a bid that was accepted and then they offered you the opportunity to bid on additional upgrades? Or did you reject the first offer yet they continued to send you more? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

What ship and sailing? How did the offers work? From your post I gather they came on separate dates. Did you make a bid that was accepted and then they offered you the opportunity to bid on additional upgrades? Or did you reject the first offer yet they continued to send you more? 

I was on the 9 day Anthem last week 6/6 -6/15.  I never bid on any offer. It was the same offers emailed on different dates. I kept track of the prices for a JS and deluxe balcony when I booked 16 months out.  Even the lowest bid was the same price or higher than it was at the time of booking. It would have been more beneficial to have booked those categories at the time of booking because I would have received more on board credit at the time of booking through my TA and Royal Caribbean.  They are banking on the fact that people don't pay attention and are only comparing the price to the current price at the time of the Royal up offer. Also I was happy with my cabin selection and I wouldn't want to risk being placed in an undesirable  location.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can still book great prices without the Royal Up. Harmony sailing 8-18-2019. Grand Suite for 2 booked at $2642 yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, STANMELB said:

Can still book great prices without the Royal Up. Harmony sailing 8-18-2019. Grand Suite for 2 booked at $2642 yesterday.

Is that the total price? Or per person? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I was on the 9 day Anthem last week 6/6 -6/15.  I never bid on any offer. It was the same offers emailed on different dates. I kept track of the prices for a JS and deluxe balcony when I booked 16 months out.  Even the lowest bid was the same price or higher than it was at the time of booking. It would have been more beneficial to have booked those categories at the time of booking because I would have received more on board credit at the time of booking through my TA and Royal Caribbean.  They are banking on the fact that people don't pay attention and are only comparing the price to the current price at the time of the Royal up offer. Also I was happy with my cabin selection and I wouldn't want to risk being placed in an undesirable  location.

Thanks for your response. I booked relatively late ( 10 days ago) for 8/24 on symphony. The price to upfront JS to grand suite has remained constant, and too high for me. Hoping for a chance to bid at a lower price but will certainly be ok staying in the JS if it doesn’t work out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Is that the total price? Or per person? 

That was the total for 2.  We snagged that price as well.  Harmony 8-18-19 GS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thanks for your response. I booked relatively late ( 10 days ago) for 8/24 on symphony. The price to upfront JS to grand suite has remained constant, and too high for me. Hoping for a chance to bid at a lower price but will certainly be ok staying in the JS if it doesn’t work out

Just keep a record of what it would cost for the grand suite if you were to book now so you know how much to bid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

 I doubt they are discounting anymore.

Kinda hard for folks to bid on an inside cabin Royal Up offer.

Edited by Biker19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Kinda hard for folks to bid on an inside cabin Royal Up offer.

Discounting inside cabin for someone who hasn't booked yet isn't the same topic as discounting a higher category cabin for someone who wants to upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Discounting inside cabin for someone who hasn't booked yet isn't the same topic as discounting a higher category cabin for someone who wants to upgrade.

Discounting happens because the cabins aren't selling and it's not limited to insides. Seems to me that Royal Up is for closer in sales and one way RCI has figured out how to get around their commitment of not heavily discounting inside 30 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Is that the total price? Or per person? 

 

That is the total price for the 2 of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Just keep a record of what it would cost for the grand suite if you were to book now so you know how much to bid.

Good idea. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, STANMELB said:

 

That is the total price for the 2 of us.

Great deal. Enjoy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are sailing on Adventure on 6/28.  We have a GTY inside booked and did a bid for a promenade room.  I was just wondering if we will hear before we get to the port or is it likely they will assign us at the port?  Never did a GTY or RoyalUp, so not sure what to expect.  I know I have read about people getting GTY rooms assigned early, but more recently it seems to be much closer to cruising.  Our ship is sold out if that makes a difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RoyalUP is fairly new, less than a full cruise season. Across seasonal variations in peak versus off-peak demand there isn't enough data to prove it one way or another.  It's easy to suggest (and believe) it has changed the game but scientifically we don't know... yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...