Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
John&LaLa

RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, minnie00 said:

We are in a GTY so really have no idea where we will end up. 

Does your SetSail pass say anything at all? Many have reported a deck and/or muster station on it which narrows down the location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cruzingal#9 said:

I was just reading back through the pages and came across one saying if you're upgraded you do not get the extra C & A points.  Does anyone know if that is true or not?  if it is true, I'm seriously considering withdrawing my bid.  I'm happy with my balcony, just wanted to get the extra points for the JS.

you will NOT get double points

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Does your SetSail pass say anything at all? Many have reported a deck and/or muster station on it which narrows down the location.

 no it doesn't. I look multiple times a day lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Kayla103 said:

Question about this. 

 

If no one bids, will the minimum bid allowed go lower? I've always wondered. 

 

If no one bids, then perhaps the upgrade fairy will return??!  haha

 

 

Edited by Ready2SailAway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in a star class suite on Anthem this past April. Got the Royal up for the only bigger suite on board and I bid the minimum which was 2k. About two weeks later the minimum went down to 1400. Nobody won the bid as far as I know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure if this was addressed or not yet, but I just booked a last minute sailing (1.5 weeks out), will I still be offered RoyalUp? I went to the link, and I get an error message saying to make sure the sailing is within 30 days. How long before I will be able to access the system or will I not be eligible? Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ebedore said:

It has been noted in many place that Royal Caribbean doesn't offer a credit for not taking advantage of the free soda packages in the Boardwalk or Park Balconies.  Same situation for me.

Thanks, that makes it a no from us. We are happy with an inside but would have considered bidding if a credit would have been made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ashland said:

Sorry...but this is correct...you only get the points for the category you originally booked.

 

3 hours ago, bulldogmommy said:

you will NOT get double points

Thank you.  I was hoping I was wrong!  I withdrew my bid today.  Though a JS would be nice, we're happy with our balcony and location and would rather put that $700. away towards the next cruise.  Will just have to take an 8 day cruise next time to get to D+.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I booked a casino comp inside cabin from land casino in May paying only taxes and port charges. Upgraded for $26 pp to a balconly. I read this thread, did not receive a bid up email, but after a lot of research, found the bidding website and was able to bid on suites. In May I placed a low bid on a junior suite for my sold out  cruise and yesterday received an email that my bid was accepted for my cruise tomorrow! They can't consider how much you paid initially for the cruise in the bidding process of they accepted my bid. I only paid $500 for two people! I usually sail NCL in suites so I was concerned about downgrading so a junior suite with Coastal Kitchen for dinners will be  nice. I actually prefer the location of my new room better also. Can't wait to try out a new cruiseline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ready2SailAway said:

 

If no one bids, then perhaps the upgrade fairy will return??!  haha

 

 

We can all dream, haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, donnabonna said:

I booked a casino comp inside cabin from land casino in May paying only taxes and port charges. Upgraded for $26 pp to a balconly. I read this thread, did not receive a bid up email, but after a lot of research, found the bidding website and was able to bid on suites. In May I placed a low bid on a junior suite for my sold out  cruise and yesterday received an email that my bid was accepted for my cruise tomorrow! They can't consider how much you paid initially for the cruise in the bidding process of they accepted my bid. I only paid $500 for two people! I usually sail NCL in suites so I was concerned about downgrading so a junior suite with Coastal Kitchen for dinners will be  nice. I actually prefer the location of my new room better also. Can't wait to try out a new cruiseline.

 

Well played!  btw what was the minimum bid for that JS, vs what you bid?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just cancelled my bid on Navigator. I'm in a JS travelling solo. It would have cost me $210 to win a bump to a GS (1 BR)(I bid $105). I thought on it and was like you don't need a bigger room for one person and that money was used to book my hotel in LA for the night before my cruise in January. Good Luck to everyone on your bids 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I just cancelled my bid on Navigator. I'm in a JS travelling solo. It would have cost me $210 to win a bump to a GS (1 BR)(I bid $105).🙂

 

How do you know $210 would have been a winning bid?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Ready2SailAway said:

 

How do you know $210 would have been a winning bid?

 

I don't. That is why I said "it would have...." However, once you bid you'd have to assume you're going to win. At least I do, the way I control my finances.

Edited by JennyB1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all kinda know how to bid for the Royal Up stateroom upgrade.... but my question is how does Royal decide who gets the upgrade once all the bidding is done? 

 

So if a "couple" bids on a cabin that can hold more than two & a "group of four" bid on the same said cabin & their bids are the same....who will get it? I know only the first two have to pay the upgrade bid amount. Just wondering if Royal just goes by the highest bid no matter how many would be in the room? Or maybe they go by the bid that was placed first? 

 

I am sure no one really knows this answer (except Royal employees)...but I was just curious... maybe someone here has an idea! 

 

TIA! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SRV FAN said:

... maybe someone here has an idea! 

Lots of that guessing happening already in the existing Royal Up thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Lots of that guessing happening already in the existing Royal Up thread.

Yeah... I searched for that...didn't find it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SRV FAN said:

Yeah... I searched for that...didn't find it.

My point was that whether that thread or this, it's all guessing on how RCI/Plusgrade handles Royal Up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Biker19 said:

My point was that whether that thread or this, it's all guessing on how RCI/Plusgrade handles Royal Up.

Well...that kinda is what I said on my post...but just wanted to know if "possibly" someone might have a clue! We have so many smart folks here! Maybe someone has an inside track...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's decided by a proprietary algorithm written by Plusgrade (the company hired by Royal).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

It's decided by a proprietary algorithm written by Plusgrade (the company hired by Royal).

Thank you...now I just gotta find out what that means...LOL ! Google is my friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, SRV FAN said:

Thank you...now I just gotta find out what that means...LOL ! Google is my friend.

 

Basically it's a word for the process a computer uses to decide how Royal can make the most money from an empty cabin on the ship.  There's a ton of data analytics to drive the decision making that gets fed into it. 

 

Consider the avalanche effect when they accept a RoyalUp to a top tier cabin..they can then accept an offer for the cabin that was upgraded which frees up another cabin..and so on down the line.  They don't even have to accept the highest bid on the highest level room if they can make more money by combining all the other RoyalUp offers down the line.

 

Then in the opposite direction, it may be lucrative for them to accept a low bid for an inside to an oceanview because they can then resell the inside for the current prevailing rate which could be over $1,000 more than the upgraded party had paid originally.

 

On top of that, Royal gets to mine data from all of the offered bids to see what people are willing to pay.

Edited by AshleyDillo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just "won" my RoyalUp bid. From a 4th floor Inside fore to a 3rd floor "Oceanview" (Porthole) midship on Majesty. Same small cabin but without the foldout berths on the wall and hopefully further from the anchor chain/mooring noises. And daylight! Bid and accepted the minimum - $30/pp. Made the bid 2 weeks ago for Majesty sailing Sept. 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...