Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
John&LaLa

RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

Recommended Posts

On 8/22/2019 at 3:19 AM, upwarduk said:

Royal are still inviting us to bid, we sail in 9 days.

If no one has bid for the suites, do they upgrade at the port?

I just got the same e-mail for an upcoming cruise (more like a month out).

 

So first I checked for the upgrades, noted that the min prices have not changed.  Then I looked to see if there are any cabins even available- and it appears that there are not.  The system comes up with one suite, but when you click on it, it says that it's not available...  

 

It would appear that the IT department is not caught up with reservations all that well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently booked in a GS on Allure... so we get "sky" suite perks.

 

We made a low bid on the Aquatheater 2 bedroom suite (the first cabin that would actually upgrade us to the "Star" suite perks).... there were other cabins available to bid on but didn't offer the Star benefits, so we didn't bid on them. 

 

I am certain we won't get the upgrade on the cabin we bid on, but I am now concerned that we might be upgraded to one of those other suites (that don't offer the Star perks) even tho we didn't bid on them.... We are perfectly happy with our GS & don't want to upgrade unless we get the Star perks...…………………….

 

Does anyone know if we may be upgraded to a cabin we did not bid on & do not want. 

 

YIKES!! Scared now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SRV FAN said:

but I am now concerned that we might be upgraded to one of those other suites (that don't offer the Star perks) even tho we didn't bid on them...

Why? Because you think RCI makes that many cabin mistakes? The days of free upgrades is over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to throw in my Royal up Info  if anyone is wondering about timing.

Cruise is 8/31/19 and I originally had a panoramic ocean view (the small one). Received the  royalup invitation via email on 7/25. Sent my bid  on August 2, $300 for a balcony which was the lowest bid.  Received confirmation on 8/8 and the new room number was assigned in that email. I was under the impression this happened much closer to the sail date, so just FYI my experience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Why? Because you think RCI makes that many cabin mistakes? The days of free upgrades is over.

Well that is rude. That was NOT my question...……… I made a BID.... just don't want to PAY for a cabin that I did not bid on..... 

 

Simple question... Can I be upgraded to a cabin that I did NOT bid on? That's all I want to know. 

 

Momma always told me..."if you don't have anything GOOD TO SAY, then don't say anything at all." 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SRV FAN said:

Simple question... Can I be upgraded to a cabin that I did NOT bid on? That's all I want to know. 

And again a simple question, why would ever think that would happen? No, you will not be upgraded if you didn't bid on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Biker19 said:

And again a simple question, why would ever think that would happen? No, you will not be upgraded if you didn't bid on it.

I have seen people say they were upgraded to a different cabin than they had bid on...………… but within the same category. So, It CAN happen....I bid $1000 for the upgraded room I want..simply to get the extra Star perks...……………. I do not want a larger room within the same category & pay $1000 more for said room...…………………. 

 

I am sure there are others out there that can speak about this that have experienced it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SRV FAN said:

I have seen people say they were upgraded to a different cabin than they had bid on...………… but within the same category.

That was only true within "regular" balcony categories, not between different categories. And those folks were sucked in by the marketing and misleading pictures presented in the bidding process. That's not going to happen on a Sky->Star class cabin bid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you will not be upgraded on any room that you didn't specifically bid on. So in your case you will only be "upgraded" on the 2 bed aqua if you are successful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tulsacoker said:

you will not be upgraded on any room that you didn't specifically bid on. So in your case you will only be "upgraded" on the 2 bed aqua if you are successful. 

Thank you... that puts my mind at ease...

 

I **KNOW** we won't get it, but you certainly won't if you don't take the chance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been wondering if there are any problems with the last minute upgrades when it comes to boarding docs, luggage tags, and items ordered for delivery to your cabin?  We usually travel a couple of days early so there wouldn't be any way to reprint docs and tags.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

I've been wondering if there are any problems with the last minute upgrades when it comes to boarding docs, luggage tags, and items ordered for delivery to your cabin

Yes, the folks who get your old cabin, may get your items in cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was wondering if anyone has any experience...

 

I never got an email to bid (I think we got a really good deal on our current cabin), and everytime I check the RC “Royal Up” site and plug in our info it basically says to check back when you’re 30 days out.

 

When you hit the 30 day mark, can ANYONE bid?  Or is it still selective?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SarcasmSpasm said:

When you hit the 30 day mark, can ANYONE bid?  Or is it still selective?  

It has been reported both ways, some can never bid and some can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it is Celebrity sorry I wasn’t paying attention to the cruise line 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...my bid confirmation says...bid can be modified or cancelled within 48 hours of sailing unless it has been accepted. I cannot modify or cancel or make any new bids. I hope this is good news. I bid on July 14 and this has been my message for a few weeks. Sailing is September 27.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I've been wondering if there are any problems with the last minute upgrades when it comes to boarding docs, luggage tags, and items ordered for delivery to your cabin?  We usually travel a couple of days early so there wouldn't be any way to reprint docs and tags.   

 

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, the folks who get your old cabin, may get your items in cabin.

 

Agree with Biker19.  And in addition, any Bonus Amenities for D+ and P (i.e., 3 bottles of wine when you reach 525 cruise points) will be delivered to your initial cabin.  On one of our upgrades, we finally got our wine after visiting the LA.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Dennis#1 said:

 

 

Agree with Biker19.  And in addition, any Bonus Amenities for D+ and P (i.e., 3 bottles of wine when you reach 525 cruise points) will be delivered to your initial cabin.  On one of our upgrades, we finally got our wine after visiting the LA.

 

So any amenities for D+ will go to whoever ended up with my original cabin...and it's up to me to rectify this once onboard...oh dear !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 3:52 PM, lovelife said:

 

Let's just say you'll be forever spoiled.  Congrats! 🤩

Isn't that the truth.

 

Can I say I hate you all. You really didn't have to be so helpful and patient, answering every silly question I posted.  You all cost my budget big future bucks 😍

 

Because of you all and your wonderful helpful posts, I went ahead and submitted a bid for a CL suite 11 days out from our sailing on a completely sold out cruise.  We just got off the Oasis last week after spending a week in our Crown Loft suite.  This was only our second cruise ever and I don't think I can ever not do at least Sky Class again.  Boy, were we spoiled!

 

Just the perks at MTD made the upgrade bid worth it.  No matter what time we arrived, no matter how long the lines were, one look at that little yellow VIP sticker on our cards earned us a quick trip to the third podium with no wait. We were then immediately escorted to "our" table.  Not only did we get the perks of MTD of being able to arrive anytime it suited us, we also had the benefit of having the same table with the same fabulous servers each night.  Whether we arrived at the Icon Dining Room at 6 or 8:30 or anytime in between, table 377 was waiting for us.  Each night we saw the same people at the same tables, so others were also enjoying this little perk.   On our 35th anniversary, we ate at Chops and we missed our regular servers in the main dining room. 

 

So, thanks everyone.  I came home and had to add $$$ to my cruising budget line item. Because not only are we now hooked on cruising, we kind of liked the suite.  Our only regret was the port intensive cruise caused us to not spend as much time enjoying it as we would have liked. Oh well, guess we need to book another cruise on the Oasis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I've been wondering if there are any problems with the last minute upgrades when it comes to boarding docs, luggage tags, and items ordered for delivery to your cabin?  We usually travel a couple of days early so there wouldn't be any way to reprint docs and tags.   

 

We sail on Sunday and yesterday our upgrade offer got accepted.  The SetSail passes updated to our new cabin Allure #9244 but nothing else did.  I called this morning and was on hold for a while several times but all of the edocs & luggage tags did get updated so I would call for this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ashland said:

So any amenities for D+ will go to whoever ended up with my original cabin...

That’s not a given, but it does happen - it probably depends on how close to the sailing the cabin switch happens. Less likely for this to happen if the cabin switch is more than 3 days out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Opal91086 said:

I cannot modify or cancel or make any new bids. I hope this is good news. 

No, that’s just an IT glitch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CruiseMomTX said:

 

We sail on Sunday and yesterday our upgrade offer got accepted.  The SetSail passes updated to our new cabin Allure #9244 but nothing else did.  I called this morning and was on hold for a while several times but all of the edocs & luggage tags did get updated so I would call for this.  

I am bringing blank address labels with me so I can change the cabin number on my luggage tags in Hope that our bid is accepted after we leave home since I won't easily have access to a printer to print out new ones!😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Murphy said:

I am bringing blank address labels with me so I can change the cabin number on my luggage tags in Hope that our bid is accepted after we leave home since I won't easily have access to a printer to print out new ones!😁

There is no reason to do that as potters will have the updated manifest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, travelplus said:

There is no reason to do that as potters will have the updated manifest. 

All porters have blank luggage tags from Royal on which they will write your name and stateroom. I had a room switch pre cruise on one trip and was not able to print out updated tags. Porter took care of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...