Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
John&LaLa

RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

Recommended Posts

We are in the jr. Spa suite on the Anthem and I put in bids for 3 different staterooms.  We will be pinnacle on this cruise and thought grand suite would be a nice celebration.  We are leaving on Monday and still have heard anything.   In fact I just upped my bid to almost costing the price if It 

would have been if I booked it from the beginning.  Up to when is the latest you could be notified?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, maria1122 said:

We are in the jr. Spa suite on the Anthem and I put in bids for 3 different staterooms.  We will be pinnacle on this cruise and thought grand suite would be a nice celebration.  We are leaving on Monday and still have heard anything.   In fact I just upped my bid to almost costing the price if It 

would have been if I booked it from the beginning.  Up to when is the latest you could be notified?

 

I believe some have reported hearing a few days before the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maria1122 said:

We are in the jr. Spa suite on the Anthem and I put in bids for 3 different staterooms.  We will be pinnacle on this cruise and thought grand suite would be a nice celebration.  We are leaving on Monday and still have heard anything.   In fact I just upped my bid to almost costing the price if It 

would have been if I booked it from the beginning.  Up to when is the latest you could be notified?

We were on the Mariner earlier this month and were notified right at 24 hours before boarding. Might have been because it was a weekend cruise so they waited to see if any last minute bookings happened before upgrading us we bid $5 over minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nemomof3 said:

We were on the Mariner earlier this month and were notified right at 24 hours before boarding. Might have been because it was a weekend cruise so they waited to see if any last minute bookings happened before upgrading us we bid $5 over minimum.

 

You got upgraded?  From what to what?  Congrats if so!  🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, island lady said:

 

You got upgraded?  From what to what?  Congrats if so!  🙂 

Yes just from an inside to an oceanview. We planned to do a weekend in an inside to see if we could do it, we normally have a balcony  but the upgrade was $80 total so we figured what the heck. I didn't think we would get it with a low bid. We left home the day before thinking we would be in the inside so we would see if we thought we could do a week cruise there. When we landed in Orlando we had gotten the email that we were upgraded. The envelope on the door with our sea pass still had the other people's name on it but our cards were inside and the room attendant didn't have our name on his list either so it was really last minute..... Even with a window we wouldn't do anything lower than a balcony unless we lived close to port and could go more often that way. The other people were diamond plus and we got their boarding drinks too! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question is..... my cruise is absolutely closed but I still got a Royal bid up email to upgrade/bid on a  large balcony, jr suite, grand suite, large grand suite or 2 bedroom suite

 

If my cruise is a capacity why would their be bids to upgrade?

 

I originally booked this cruise for me and my 2 kids (13 & 10)..... my husband now has got the green light to come from work and the ship is at capacity and I can't even put him in my room..... even though it can hold 4 people...... so not sure how this all works

 

just kinda confused about the whole process I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, beccaewert said:

 ...

 

If my cruise is a capacity why would their be bids to upgrade? ...

 

Market research.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, beccaewert said:

just kinda confused about the whole process I guess

About every other page in this very long thread, the issue of bidding when the ship/categories "looks" sold out is addressed. They want to have bids in place in case of a cancellation, you may not be seeing all the inventory and sales/marketing info to RCI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, beccaewert said:

My question is..... my cruise is absolutely closed but I still got a Royal bid up email to upgrade/bid on a  large balcony, jr suite, grand suite, large grand suite or 2 bedroom suite

 

If my cruise is a capacity why would their be bids to upgrade?

 

I originally booked this cruise for me and my 2 kids (13 & 10)..... my husband now has got the green light to come from work and the ship is at capacity and I can't even put him in my room..... even though it can hold 4 people...... so not sure how this all works

 

just kinda confused about the whole process I guess

When you bid it is only for the people on the existing reservation.  You cannot add extra guests. Many get offers to bid on the large suites with only 2 passengers. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, beccaewert said:

the ship is at capacity and I can't even put him in my room..... even though it can hold 4 people...... so not sure how this all works

The ship may have a capacity of 3000 guests due to lifeboat restrictions.  While they allow a maximum of 3000 guests they may have actual berths on board for 3500 to allow for flexibility in people’s booking the cabin type they want.  They do not have lifeboat capacity for every berth in every room. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Nemomof3 said:

Yes just from an inside to an oceanview. We planned to do a weekend in an inside to see if we could do it, we normally have a balcony  but the upgrade was $80 total so we figured what the heck. I didn't think we would get it with a low bid. We left home the day before thinking we would be in the inside so we would see if we thought we could do a week cruise there. When we landed in Orlando we had gotten the email that we were upgraded. The envelope on the door with our sea pass still had the other people's name on it but our cards were inside and the room attendant didn't have our name on his list either so it was really last minute..... Even with a window we wouldn't do anything lower than a balcony unless we lived close to port and could go more often that way. The other people were diamond plus and we got their boarding drinks too! 

 

LOL!  I am guessing that other couple got an upgrade also.   Nice to have some natural light coming in with the window, even if not a balcony.  🙂  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

Market research.

 

Instilling hope to the masses.  😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, beccaewert said:

My question is..... my cruise is absolutely closed but I still got a Royal bid up email to upgrade/bid on a  large balcony, jr suite, grand suite, large grand suite or 2 bedroom suite

 

If my cruise is a capacity why would their be bids to upgrade?

 

I originally booked this cruise for me and my 2 kids (13 & 10)..... my husband now has got the green light to come from work and the ship is at capacity and I can't even put him in my room..... even though it can hold 4 people...... so not sure how this all works

 

just kinda confused about the whole process I guess

 

 

Pretty much called "the last minute shuffle".   May not be showing some cabins available, then shuffling from inside to outside, outside to balcony, balcony to JS...etc. snowballing down the line.  I once got a JS cabin, without even knowing it (though cruise showed sold out on JS cabins for months) from the old "upgrade fairy" (the free one).  Late booking wanted our hump balcony cabin for a group.  All D+ on that floor with hump balconies got upgrades to JS cabins.  No extra points, but nice to have the extra room on the 11 night we were on.  

 

BTW:  No such thing any longer as an upgrade fairy .....unfortunately her greedy sister the "bid fairy" shot her and tossed her body overboard.  😮 😞 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the Royal Offer email today. We’re booked for a balcony and I put in a bid of $50 for a larger spacious room with balcony. No biggie to me as I got the original room cheap so it’s no biggie if I get it. It will suck if I have to wait till the morning of my cruise to find out what cabin we get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just received a RoyalUp email yesterday, and the cruise is 10 days away. I didn't bid. We're in a JS on Majesty.  For only $300 total bid, we could bid on a GS. That's okay. We'll pass.  :classic_wink:

Edited by Coralc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Coralc said:

We just received a RoyalUp email yesterday, and the cruise is 10 days away. I didn't bid. We're in a JS on Majesty for only $300 total, we could bid on a GS. That's okay. :classic_wink:

 

Wow, $300 for both of you in a JS?  How many days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

Wow, $300 for both of you in a JS?  How many days?

Sorry,  I probably put a comma in the wrong place. Bid for GS was $300 total. I fixed it.  JS was average price. 

Edited by Coralc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Sorry,  I probably put a comma in the wrong place. Bid for GS was $300 total. I fixed it.  JS was average price. 

 

How many days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 nights out of New Orleans. I was just surprised to receive a RoyalUp offer this close to sailing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Coralc said:

7 nights out of New Orleans. I was just surprised to receive a RoyalUp offer this close to sailing. 

 

Not a bad price for a GS upgrade for 7 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Coralc said:

7 nights out of New Orleans. I was just surprised to receive a RoyalUp offer this close to sailing. 

They want to sell those empty rooms for more money if they can. Lol I’m 57 days out and got the offer for our cruise yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received RoyalUp email (forwarded from TA) this morning for my March 23 Serenade of the Seas 11 night sailing (59 days out). 

(Booked OV on Deck 4 near forward elevators)

Min bid - OV Suite - $150 pp

                 Spacious OV Balcony - $200 pp

                 OV Balcony - $100 pp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my invite To Royal Up on Jan 6th for March 1st Liberty. 
currently in JS, bid on GS, good moderate bid. This will be my 4th attempt ( cruise) since the Royal up began. The previous 3 were denied. You  just never know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So hypothetical here to plan ahead a little. We have  a bid in and lets say it gets accepted 24 hours out and we are at our hotel. How are the bag tags handled? Would we need to find a way to get new tags made at the hotel? 

 

I really doubt our bid will be accepted, but want to be prepared if it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cgolf1 said:

So hypothetical here to plan ahead a little. We have  a bid in and lets say it gets accepted 24 hours out and we are at our hotel. How are the bag tags handled? Would we need to find a way to get new tags made at the hotel? 

 

I really doubt our bid will be accepted, but want to be prepared if it is.

The porters will be able to look up your room and print tags. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...