RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

On 8/23/2021 at 6:56 PM, duca1222 said:

I see some promising news from this thread that I may be getting an upgrade. I’ve checked everyday in the past 2 weeks. Our Alaskan cruise leaves Aug 27th out of Seattle. 

1. I bid on GS, GS w/ large balcony, and Grand Suite 2br

2. About 2-3 weeks ago my first two room choices went to expired and the 2br GS was still pending. Also I couldn’t cancel or adjust my bid. 

3. As of tonight the status of the 2br GS went to Upgrade    Unavailable. Makes me think the “Unavailable” part is them telling me they haven’t assigned me a room. (See attached)

I will update this forum with what actually happens. Fingers crossed I get the 2br!

891C5F4C-AADF-43B5-AC2E-D346EAFFD30C.jpeg

Now with 2 days before our cruise I’ve gotten an option to bid on bigger and better suites. And now the bid can be accepted up to 3hrs before sailing. Seems like royal is really trying to get every dollar they can for these rooms. Which I understand but come on! The anticipation is killing me and my whole family. 

Also I’m begging to think I didn’t get the 2BR GS. ;(

2603B5A9-1DFB-4EC0-8F2F-2D7BEAA792DD.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Here are the RoyalUp choices sent to me as soon as the check-in for my November 21, 2021 Harmony cruise opened on August 23, 2021:

image.thumb.png.54620cf819f460354894acecfc4ea68e.png

We are in a regular balcony cabin for 4 (there are 3 of us, though).

Bid on that ultra spacious. Nice cabin, huge balcony, right next to Aqua Theater upper balcony

50 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Bid on that ultra spacious. Nice cabin, huge balcony, right next to Aqua Theater upper balcony

nah, we are good. 1) I don't want to spend more money (and I am not even sure the ship will actually sail or that we won't have Covid at that point), 2) my parents' balcony cabin is right next to us, they don't speak English, and mom has bad spatial awareness. Even if I bid for all of us - there is no guarantee that we'll be placed close to each other. We don't want adjoining cabins - just close by. 3) we like balconies in the middle or front of the ship. No guarantee that they will not stick us in an aft cabin.

We got very lucky to get a nice location for both of our cabins when doing L&S, and I don't want to mess anything up. 🙂

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Here are the RoyalUp choices sent to me as soon as the check-in for my November 21, 2021 Harmony cruise opened on August 23, 2021:

image.thumb.png.54620cf819f460354894acecfc4ea68e.png

We are in a regular balcony cabin for 4 (there are 3 of us, though).

When I try to look at RoyalUp it says I need to be with 30 days. It's that not true?

It has been my experience that the "must be within 30 days" message is just a way of telling you that you have not been selected to submit a RoyalUp offer.  When I have received that error in the past, I have never received a RU offer nor been able to bid on a RU.  I have read other say that's not true, but it has been for me....100% of the time.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, duca1222 said:

Now with 2 days before our cruise I’ve gotten an option to bid on bigger and better suites. And now the bid can be accepted up to 3hrs before sailing. Seems like royal is really trying to get every dollar they can for these rooms. Which I understand but come on! The anticipation is killing me and my whole family. 

2603B5A9-1DFB-4EC0-8F2F-2D7BEAA792DD.jpeg

I saw that 3 hour note. Interesting that the FAQs talk about 48 hours.  So within 48 hours now it appears your bids are locked in and you can't cancel...but you could be in an early boarding group and find out afterwards that you were upgraded? 

It might be good for RC to update the FAQs so they reflect how they are conducting the program.   

Anyone know the 48 hour window, is that literally 48 hours from sailaway, or for a Sunday sailing would it by 1201am Friday morning? 

When bidding, it automatically bumps the number for (2) guests occupying the room. If traveling solo, you have to bid double the price. I get that this process is through a third-party, so the mechanism probably doesn't know that you're traveling alone. Okay, whatever.

But does anyone know if you're then paying 2x the gratuities? Or does the process revert back to RC and you're only paying the difference for the upgraded room. Anybody have any experience with this?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grimaldi said:

When bidding, it automatically bumps the number for (2) guests occupying the room. If traveling solo, you have to bid double the price. I get that this process is through a third-party, so the mechanism probably doesn't know that you're traveling alone. Okay, whatever.

But does anyone know if you're then paying 2x the gratuities? Or does the process revert back to RC and you're only paying the difference for the upgraded room. Anybody have any experience with this?

Hello,

Not only gratuities but also Port Fees & Taxes that are charged by the port per person.

Regards,

Cublet

6 hours ago, grimaldi said:

But does anyone know if you're then paying 2x the gratuities?

Unless you elect to pre pay them (or are in a market that includes them in the fare), grats are an onboard thing and outside of Royal Up - you should only have grats for one person.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2021 at 3:50 AM, molly361 said:

51 days out until our capacity reached Mariner cruise and no Royal Up offer and can't get one yet using the link on the website.  The only category I would bid on is the VP and I don't see them offered on any of the above.  Wondering if they would be on there since there are only 2 of them.

I got the royalup offer email on both the Sept 3 and Sept 24 Mariner 3 night sailings.  I made some token bids just for a laugh but haven't heard back yet.  Since I'm going solo on both of these, not a lot of point in paying for a Grand Suite except for the novelty factor, but YOLO.  The ordinary balcony rooms are plenty big for a single person.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, OSUZorba said:

When I try to look at RoyalUp it says I need to be with 30 days. It's that not true?

21 hours ago, DCL2RCI said:

Not always, you can check back periodically it may open early.

20 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I have no idea. I've never actually bid before, or gotten an email to bid. This is what I got on Monday as soon as the check-in opened..

I'm 36 days out and I get the 30 days error message.  Yet, someone on my roll call was able to bid days ago.  Sorry, just learning this mess.  So, when they open the bidding, is it common for them to be selective and only open it to certain passengers, but not all?

20 hours ago, RFerrington said:

It has been my experience that the "must be within 30 days" message is just a way of telling you that you have not been selected to submit a RoyalUp offer.  When I have received that error in the past, I have never received a RU offer nor been able to bid on a RU.  I have read other say that's not true, but it has been for me....100% of the time.

True. I checked the website for our November Harmony cruise and got the 30 day message. Then I checked my email an hour later and magically i received an offer to bid on that same cruise.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I'm 36 days out and I get the 30 days error message.  Yet, someone on my roll call was able to bid days ago.  Sorry, just learning this mess.  So, when they open the bidding, is it common for them to be selective and only open it to certain passengers, but not all?

Yes, they send invitations, and others are able to go online and bid that haven't received invitations.  Yet others can't bid at all.  There's no rhyme or reason.  

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bid on Royal Up for a 1 bedroom Grand Suite, a junior suite and a spacious balcony room.  I leave on Sunday on Allure of the Seas.  I received a message from Royal Caribbean last night I got the Junior Suite and my bid was accepted.  I am happy to of gotten this as it will provide extra room for us with just a few more amenities. This is the first time I did a Royal Up bid and actually got it.  Maybe due to the percent allowed to cruise.  I don't care if they gave me the broom closet, just being on the ship is a huge blessing that I am healthy enough to enjoy 

• Like 6

On 8/25/2021 at 9:15 AM, duca1222 said:

So how did it work out for you ? 

We are a week out and I bid low - don’t really care if they accept or not - but noticing some weirdness with both RCL and the available cabins and the RoyalUp site 

So as of a few days ago - plenty of suites open - then suddenly none. Ok - maybe they have some VIPs coming aboard or simply are holding back cabins for whatever reason.

At the same time - pricing on some of the higher suites on RoyalUp dropped - indicating maybe they weren’t getting bids. 

Yesterday I look and there is 1 of each class available. So either they are hoping for a last minute booking - releasing some cabins or simply have site issues causing rooms to show unavailable. 

Hopefully you have a great cruise no matter what class of room you are in - after all, the ships main areas are the same no matter the cabin you book - and Alaska scenery isn’t any less scenic standing on an outside deck vs a suite balcony. Yes - you get some nicer options open to you and it’s great when you can bid and get a deal - but to us not a deal breaker by any means.

On 8/23/2021 at 3:56 PM, duca1222 said:

I see some promising news from this thread that I may be getting an upgrade. I’ve checked everyday in the past 2 weeks. Our Alaskan cruise leaves Aug 27th out of Seattle. 

1. I bid on GS, GS w/ large balcony, and Grand Suite 2br

2. About 2-3 weeks ago my first two room choices went to expired and the 2br GS was still pending. Also I couldn’t cancel or adjust my bid. 

3. As of tonight the status of the 2br GS went to Upgrade    Unavailable. Makes me think the “Unavailable” part is them telling me they haven’t assigned me a room. (See attached)

I will update this forum with what actually happens. Fingers crossed I get the 2br!

891C5F4C-AADF-43B5-AC2E-D346EAFFD30C.jpeg

So I’m on the ship now and nothing happened. No upgrade. 😞 went to the guest services desk on ship and was told no upgrades or room changes allowed. Standard answer it seemed. I also asked my cabin stewardess(I think that’s what she’s called?) if there were any suites opened that she knew about. She said the ship was at ~40-50% and most of the suites have guests. Including the 2BR GS I was bidding on. Overall our JS is very nice and spacious. 

5 minutes ago, duca1222 said:

So I’m on the ship now and nothing happened. No upgrade. 😞 went to the guest services desk on ship and was told no upgrades or room changes allowed. Standard answer it seemed. I also asked my cabin stewardess(I think that’s what she’s called?) if there were any suites opened that she knew about. She said the ship was at ~40-50% and most of the suites have guests. Including the 2BR GS I was bidding on. Overall our JS is very nice and spacious. 

Have a great cruise

8p on embarkation day…so basically 2 hours plus after the ship leaves port and is underway ? Yea. Sounds about right for some of RCL customer service - telling you AFTER you are aboard, in your cabin and unpacking that you didn’t win the upgrade lottery.

Seems the odds of an upgrade are much higher on Caribbean sailings so far post restart - Alaska I have only seen reports of a mini suite upgrade so far - at least amongst non suite bookings. 

To me booking a non suite and moving to a full suite is a REAL upgrade - your going from a room that cost $ to $$$ and getting one that cost $$$$-$$$$$ regularly. I could do a Jr suite regularly of I wanted to splurge and cut back on the extras (drink package/excursions/etc) - a suite though - that cost as much as a solid used car and some cheap new ones for 2 for a week. That’s just more than I could justify spending in my budget. Makes more sense though when your a group of 4+ though of course.