RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

30 minutes ago, tomservo said:

Thanks! For me it’s not about affording it, but I’m still evaluating value for the money for the suite product. If I sail once or twice a year, I’m probably only getting a suite once a year or every other year, so I want to make sure I’m getting my money’s worth for my suite dollars. It’s especially hard to evaluate because the Oasis is such a different ship, and in my mind  I’ll be comparing it to our last cruise in the Haven on the Bliss (that was a fantastic cruise, we had an Aft suite that was incredible). I have the feeling that I will probably end up saving my suite dollars for NCL and stick to balconies and JS for Royal. What we paid for this cruise plus the upgrade is about what we paid in 2020 on the Bliss. I think the other consideration is suites will be less of a priority once I gain meaningful status on either line. 

Being honest and sailing Oasis class in almost every category cabin from an interior all the way to the Royal suite and ATS , CLS and in-between....it's much more for the cabin than the "suite" perks. Royal honestly doesn't do suite the best compared to other lines. You mention The Haven on NCL....I have never sailed in The Haven so can't comment much other than what I have read of people enjoying it very much and usually say after trying a suite on Royal that it didn't compare to NCL. I have sailed Royal's sister line Celebrity in suite class and if you want what sounds something similar to the Haven then I suggest trying a suite on Celebrity Edge Class where they have the full dedicated Retreat. Celebrity does suite class much better than Royal does and you will be spoiled in the Retreat on Edge class.

It's all good and you will love your CLS...it's a really cool cabin. 17th floor is very private and quiet.The perks I enjoy most in suite class on Oasis is use of the suite sundeck since you can smoke a cigar up there and use of Barefoot Beach in Labaddee ...which unfortunately isn't a current port stop again yet. The suite lounge is also nice for pre-dinner cocktails during 5-8:30 for free drinks if you don't have any loyalty perks. 

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Being honest and sailing Oasis class in almost every category cabin from an interior all the way to the Royal suite and ATS , CLS and in-between....it's much more for the cabin than the "suite" perks. Royal honestly doesn't do suite the best compared to other lines. You mention The Haven on NCL....I have never sailed in The Haven so can't comment much other than what I have read of people enjoying it very much and usually say after trying a suite on Royal that it didn't compare to NCL. I have sailed Royal's sister line Celebrity in suite class and if you want what sounds something similar to the Haven then I suggest trying a suite on Celebrity Edge Class where they have the full dedicated Retreat. Celebrity does suite class much better than Royal does and you will be spoiled in the Retreat on Edge class.

It's all good and you will love your CLS...it's a really cool cabin. 17th floor is very private and quiet.The perks I enjoy most in suite class on Oasis is use of the suite sundeck since you can smoke a cigar up there and use of Barefoot Beach in Labaddee ...which unfortunately isn't a current port stop again yet. The suite lounge is also nice for pre-dinner cocktails during 5-8:30 for free drinks if you don't have any loyalty perks. 

I do like rccl suite perks but agree celebrity does it better on all ships , our favorite for a ship within a ship concept is definitely MSc yacht club , totally it’s own area and it has live music most of the night , really don’t need to leave the area. There suite beach on there private island is also nicer than barefoot beach we we do like.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 11:58 AM, Tigerman4LSU said:

On a whim, I called my travel agent to see how much a straight upgrade would cost compared to a Royal Up bid.  The straight upgrade price was a $100 cheaper than the minimum Royal Up bid.

was the upgrade price just the difference of what you paid already and what was published on royal's web site?

Just received my royal up e-mail confirming my upgrade from a panoramic view (no balcony) suite on Freedom of the Seas this Monday to a two bedroom suite (two full bathrooms!) My 16 year old's will be thrilled they aren't sleeping in bunkbeds. 

• Like 10

Our Royal up bids have been quite odd over the last few days. All but 1 showed as expired yesterday with GS still showing pending. Today the GS shows “upgrade unavailable” and some of those which did say expired are back to pending 

Has anyone encountered this before? 

26 minutes ago, BekkaW said:

Has anyone encountered this before? 

Just about any combination of Royal Up bid status is possible at any time. Don't read anything into any status - just look for a charge on the credit card (when you won the bid) or denial e-mail (when you didn't).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tomservo said:

Thanks! For me it’s not about affording it, but I’m still evaluating value for the money for the suite product. If I sail once or twice a year, I’m probably only getting a suite once a year or every other year, so I want to make sure I’m getting my money’s worth for my suite dollars. It’s especially hard to evaluate because the Oasis is such a different ship, and in my mind  I’ll be comparing it to our last cruise in the Haven on the Bliss (that was a fantastic cruise, we had an Aft suite that was incredible). I have the feeling that I will probably end up saving my suite dollars for NCL and stick to balconies and JS for Royal. What we paid for this cruise plus the upgrade is about what we paid in 2020 on the Bliss. I think the other consideration is suites will be less of a priority once I gain meaningful status on either line. 

We also had a Haven suite on the Breakaway and were extremely disappointed.  Perhaps the Bliss has been improved.  We found the Haven area very small.  The dining room seemed to serve the same food every day- the specialty restaurants had poor food- having sailed on most of the popular cruise lines, perhaps the worst.  We also found as soon as you left the Haven, the public areas were very crowded.  No main theatre so you couldn't find seats in the lobby area for any event held in that area.  I like the Oasis class ships and find the suite benefits great- The oasis, which is the original in this class, dosen't have a hot tub on the suite deck, and we didn't love that- but overall, with the exception of the Celebrity S class and Edge class ships, our favorite.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We also had a Haven suite on the Breakaway and were extremely disappointed.  Perhaps the Bliss has been improved.  We found the Haven area very small.  The dining room seemed to serve the same food every day- the specialty restaurants had poor food- having sailed on most of the popular cruise lines, perhaps the worst.  We also found as soon as you left the Haven, the public areas were very crowded.  No main theatre so you couldn't find seats in the lobby area for any event held in that area.  I like the Oasis class ships and find the suite benefits great- The oasis, which is the original in this class, dosen't have a hot tub on the suite deck, and we didn't love that- but overall, with the exception of the Celebrity S class and Edge class ships, our favorite.  

We did the Haven on the Getaway (sister to Breakaway) and I agree the Haven area is small, I would probably not do the Haven again on those class of ships. However the Haven area on the Bliss was way bigger, it has a huge sun deck with hot tubs, and the forward facing Observation lounge is very nice too.

That being said, our experience with the specialty restaurants was uneven, we had ok to poor experiences at the steakhouse and bbq restaurants, and good experiences at the seafood and Mexican restaurants. The Haven restaurant was also very good. I see a lot of complaints about the menu, but the CK dinner menu is similarly restricted in that it’s 3 different options each day, whereas the Haven has a very large menu and everything is available at once. 
Also the portions at CK are very small. I ordered a ribeye steak one night and it was maybe a 3oz tiny slice. At least in the Haven the filet was a normal sized portion.

I do agree with you about the crowding, it can get very crowded. One big advantage NCL has is all the outdoor areas, with outdoor seating at restaurants that face the ocean, also they have some really great aft facing suites. 

2 hours ago, tomservo said:

We did the Haven on the Getaway (sister to Breakaway) and I agree the Haven area is small, I would probably not do the Haven again on those class of ships. However the Haven area on the Bliss was way bigger, it has a huge sun deck with hot tubs, and the forward facing Observation lounge is very nice too.

That being said, our experience with the specialty restaurants was uneven, we had ok to poor experiences at the steakhouse and bbq restaurants, and good experiences at the seafood and Mexican restaurants. The Haven restaurant was also very good. I see a lot of complaints about the menu, but the CK dinner menu is similarly restricted in that it’s 3 different options each day, whereas the Haven has a very large menu and everything is available at once. 
Also the portions at CK are very small. I ordered a ribeye steak one night and it was maybe a 3oz tiny slice. At least in the Haven the filet was a normal sized portion.

I do agree with you about the crowding, it can get very crowded. One big advantage NCL has is all the outdoor areas, with outdoor seating at restaurants that face the ocean, also they have some really great aft facing suites. 

I do agree that the aft facing suites with two bathrooms are nice- We also love the Royal suite on Celebrity and their suite perks- the Edge having the best of all.  We found in the coastal kitchen on the Oasis class ships, they will do dining special requests- and the specialty restaurants are very good.  You cannot beat the entertainment and activities on RC Oasis class either.  In a suite you get priority when it comes to entertainment and dining.  

It is good that we have different tastes and prefer different ships- good for the economy!  I am sure we can agree cruising is great!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I do agree that the aft facing suites with two bathrooms are nice- We also love the Royal suite on Celebrity and their suite perks- the Edge having the best of all.  We found in the coastal kitchen on the Oasis class ships, they will do dining special requests- and the specialty restaurants are very good.  You cannot beat the entertainment and activities on RC Oasis class either.  In a suite you get priority when it comes to entertainment and dining.  

It is good that we have different tastes and prefer different ships- good for the economy!  I am sure we can agree cruising is great!

Agreed! We have kids so that factors in too, they loved all the water slides on the Breakaway ships, which they missed on the Anthem, but that won’t be a problem on the Oasis. Super excited about tomorrow!

• Like 1

Anyone who has had a royal up bid accepted, how exactly does the charge appear on your credit card, I’m trying to see if a royal up payment can qualify for the Amex offer discussed on a different thread that still appears on the first page.  Thanks in advance

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MikeKl said:

Anyone who has had a royal up bid accepted, how exactly does the charge appear on your credit card, I’m trying to see if a royal up payment can qualify for the Amex offer discussed on a different thread that still appears on the first page.  Thanks in advance

Here’s mine

01DCA113-8EC0-4501-8F56-F50A4B476124.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was my first time on RCL last week and therefore my first time experience of the bid up system. I put a bid for a GS and waited and waited and waited for a response. Finally got the rejection email 24 hours after sailing! What a joke 

On 10/9/2021 at 4:36 PM, FTLCruiseGal said:

Where do you check the status of your bid?  I cannot seem to find it.

If you just google Royal Up ...the royal caribbean royal up link will pop up.   you need to plug in your last name and booking id/# and you'll see your status.   https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade   Good luck.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2flacruisers said:

Ok....I just did a self suite guarantee upgrade....on my receipt on on my account, all it shows is:  #guarantee....what does the # sign mean?

I don't know.  It's been so long since I did a guarantee, that I can't remember.

You may get a better chance at a response with a separate thread.  Only those interested in Royal Up will see this question.  🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

I don't know.  It's been so long since I did a guarantee, that I can't remember.

You may get a better chance at a response with a separate thread.  Only those interested in Royal Up will see this question.  🙂

Probably a junior suite with a guarantee 

On 9/24/2021 at 1:44 PM, Aquahound said:

No worries.  I'm happy to share.  7 nights on Ovation sailing next week.  I was in a Cat D Balcony.  Rates for the JS were about $700 p/p more than the D balcony rate.  I placed the minimum bid of $200 p/p for JS.  That bid that was accepted.  I never modified it.  

Funny thing is, the balcony rates dropped by about $200 p/p a few weeks ago.  I called and got over $400 OBC.  So this $400 Royal Up upgrade was basically a wash for me.  I feel like I really scored here.  

Just an added note to this.  When I placed my RU bid, I did not know JSs had Coastal Kitchen dinner access, and that my JS would have a Lavazza espresso machine.  7 years since sailing RC, so I wasn't up on my RC education.  This turned out to be a fabulous cruise, and well worth the $200 bid.  😁

• Like 1