Jump to content

RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)


John&LaLa
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello All:

 

I sail on 10/23.

 

My Royal Up bid has always said "Pending" from the moment I made the bid. It still says "Pending" but changed yesterday to where I cannot Modify or Cancel and a bid I did on another category now says "Expired".

 

What (if anything) are those changes an indication of?  Seems you should be able Modify or Cancel the bid up until your bid is accepted or you are notified you did not receive the upgrade.

 

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Royal Up bid also says pending and I'm locked out from modifying or cancelling it or bidding on any other category.  I emailed to see what this means but haven't heard back. It seems that this means the bid is accepted because otherwise why can't I modify/cancel?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FrankLasVegas said:

jtappend - kind of what I was thinking - seems logical but not sure exactly what logic the Royal Up program operates on. 😆  And if that is an indication of an accepted bid, how long before they would notify us I wonder?

 

When is your sail date?

I have a theory of what they do based on my 40 years of experience as a systems analyst and programmer, purely from the anecdotal posts I have read over the last few months. I could be completely wrong of course. It seems like a couple of weeks from sail day they run their program to do an initial mock upgrade. Some people have a bid stay pending and others become expired, and all their bids are locked. I think this means at that time they would accept your pending bid, but not yet. I think the bids are locked so you cannot cancel or lower your bid. Others do not have any bids locked or changed to expired and this enables them to up their bids if inclined. I have read posts where people say their bids were locked and then a few days later they are able to change them again. I think that happens because someone out bids the previously locked bid and that new bid becomes the most likely winner at that moment. At some point they are probably running their program daily and updating locked and unlocked constantly until several days before the cruise when they start awarding upgrades. It seems to be a good sign when you have a pending bid that is locked but you will not know for sure until 2 to 3 days before your cruise. We have 2 bids that are pending and not locked for our 10/24 cruise and at this point I don’t expect those to change. I know some people on our cruise already have locked bids.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife thought so, LOL. I am driving her crazy with RoyalUp stuff and she says we are not going to get Star Class and I need to forget it. 
 

With a pending locked bid I would say you are sitting good. I think human nature is to wait it out and not feel like you are bidding against yourself and up the bid. I am sure not going to bid more now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Espn said:

My wife thought so, LOL. I am driving her crazy with RoyalUp stuff and she says we are not going to get Star Class and I need to forget it. 
 

With a pending locked bid I would say you are sitting good. I think human nature is to wait it out and not feel like you are bidding against yourself and up the bid. I am sure not going to bid more now.

On celebrity I actually lowered my penthouse bid and then it was accepted,  as soon as it was I got notified that my credit card was charged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, George C said:

On celebrity I actually lowered my penthouse bid and then it was accepted,  as soon as it was I got notified that my credit card was charged.

Funny but interesting. Maybe I should lower my SC bid. 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Espn said:

Funny but interesting. Maybe I should lower my SC bid. 🤔

What I find interesting is most of the suites up for bid didn’t appear when you look to see what suites are available, at least this is the case on my allure cruise next month, I saved a thousand by lowering my bid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, FrankLasVegas said:

What (if anything) are those changes an indication of?  Seems you should be able Modify or Cancel the bid up until your bid is accepted or you are notified you did not receive the upgrade  

Nothing. You can but you need to call them to try to unlock it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I think you misunderstood my post.  I received the offer to Royalup not a winning bid.  I don't expect to hear anything until December at the earliest.

Yes I did misread your post.  Good luck on your bid!

 

S

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, sandc4e said:

WOW!  The fact that you found out this early is awesome!  Most I'm seeing aren't finding out until a few days before cruise.

We are sailing on 12/2 on Serenade, couldn't even check in yet, so cannot bid.

 

 Were you able to check in early for your cruise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, tbmrt said:

We are sailing on 12/2 on Serenade, couldn't even check in yet, so cannot bid.

 

 Were you able to check in early for your cruise?


Did you try the direct link

I can't check in for my Symphony cruise because something with Royal's IT department is broken (big surprise, eh?  I can check in just fine for my cruises right before and right after it, just not that one), but I *can* do a RoyalUp bid on that cruise without being checked in.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NSnewcruiser said:

I'm within 30 days and I still get the message "Please ensure your sailing is within the next 30 days.Please ensure there are no errors in the information you entered" Does that mean I'm not eligible?


Sounds like it.  Have you checked to see if there are many rooms available above your category to bid on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a question... if you're solo and doing a RoyalUp bid, do you pay double the bid amount?

On the RoyalUp page, it says "per guest (2)"... so which is it, per guest, or two?

My logical brain says that what they MEAN to say is that it's "per guest up to two, so additional guests (3rd and 4th) are at no additional charge".... but this is Royal, which means that what they say on their website could mean any possible interpretation of the words.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have found out recently that your eligibility to bid a Royal Up depends on whether the agency you booked through "participates" in the Royal Up program.  If you booked direct with RRCL you would/should be eligible to bid.  I know many of the "big box" store travel divisions do not participate in the program.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NSnewcruiser said:

I'm within 30 days and I still get the message "Please ensure your sailing is within the next 30 days.Please ensure there are no errors in the information you entered" Does that mean I'm not eligible?

I get the same thing... but I think I angered them by changing my bids.. constantly.😌 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

Here's a question... if you're solo and doing a RoyalUp bid, do you pay double the bid amount?

On the RoyalUp page, it says "per guest (2)"... so which is it, per guest, or two?

My logical brain says that what they MEAN to say is that it's "per guest up to two, so additional guests (3rd and 4th) are at no additional charge".... but this is Royal, which means that what they say on their website could mean any possible interpretation of the words.

 

5 hours ago, NSnewcruiser said:

I'm within 30 days and I still get the message "Please ensure your sailing is within the next 30 days.Please ensure there are no errors in the information you entered" Does that mean I'm not eligible?

I get the same thing... but I think I angered them by changing my bids.. constantly.😌 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com Jan '22
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways - Journey Through Europe
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...