Jump to content

RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)


John&LaLa
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

I heard back from my TA as to why RoyalUP wasn’t letting me log in. He said to check back on 21 days before the sailing. 
 

anyone ever heard this before? Or maybe he inquired to Royal for me and that’s what they told him? 

TAs can make up BS just like RCI reps. Check with others on your sailing (via the Roll Call thread) to see if it's available to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just received the Congrats email and new documents. It transpired like everyone mentioned. Yesterday, one bid changed to "expired" and the other bid was "Pending" but the Modify and Cancel buttons went away - so I guess that indicates the "locked" status folks have mentioned.

 

Since we moved to Star Class I should cancel our beverage package? Not sure how that works.

 

Thanks everyone.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gw2fll said:

Just received the Congrats email and new documents. It transpired like everyone mentioned. Yesterday, one bid changed to "expired" and the other bid was "Pending" but the Modify and Cancel buttons went away - so I guess that indicates the "locked" status folks have mentioned.

 

Since we moved to Star Class I should cancel our beverage package? Not sure how that works.

 

Thanks everyone.

Yep. Cancel it.. Also any dining package you purchased.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gw2fll said:

Just received the Congrats email and new documents. It transpired like everyone mentioned. Yesterday, one bid changed to "expired" and the other bid was "Pending" but the Modify and Cancel buttons went away - so I guess that indicates the "locked" status folks have mentioned.

 

Since we moved to Star Class I should cancel our beverage package? Not sure how that works.

 

Thanks everyone.

YIPPEE !!!! Congratulations.

 

Yes, I would definitely cancel your DBP and UDP (if you have it) and internet.  All of that will be included for you.  I would probably NOT wait for the Genie in this case b/c it may take a while for the Genie to get assigned.  If you are within 48 hours of sailing then you will have to wait on the Genie to take care of this for you, but if you are more than 2 days from sailing, I would take care of it myself so that you will get a cash refund vs OBC.

Edited by RFerrington
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, gw2fll said:

Just received the Congrats email and new documents. It transpired like everyone mentioned. Yesterday, one bid changed to "expired" and the other bid was "Pending" but the Modify and Cancel buttons went away - so I guess that indicates the "locked" status folks have mentioned.

 

Since we moved to Star Class I should cancel our beverage package? Not sure how that works.

 

Thanks everyone.

Would you mind sharing what you had and what you bid? Thank you and congrats. 

I am going to try for a Royal Up option for my end of January cruise and have never done it before having the numbers is helpful. I understand each sailing may be different but an idea helps.  

Edited by jonj
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well today was our 45 day check in for our cruise. I checked in and it still had us listed as Gty on our set sail pass. However, this afternoon it changed and revealed Deck 10. And then I remembered the trick with scanning the bar code on your Set sail pass with a QR code scanner to find the cabin number. I did it and it worked!! We're on deck 10, interior cabin. That's cool we didn't want a low deck. Not happy about being under the kiddie pool but we can always change to a different cabin within the same 2V category. So I'm definitely hoping they accept our RoyalUp offer. 80 balconies, 10 JS, 49 promenades, 42 OV, 9 spacious OV, 3 Panoramic OV and 1 Ultra Spacious OV remaining as of yesterday when I counted.

 

I just wish they would deny my offer or counter so I can bid on an OV room if they're going to deny me a balcony.  I think Royal should have 72 hours to accept, reject or counter. That way we wouldn't be in limbo. 🤪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I think they really want me to give up my cabin.  I just received an offer to bid $25 pp for a junior suite, $90 for a grand suite.  I have 1388 on the Mariner and plan to stay right there.

Did they flat out offer you to switch for that price?  Or did you get an invitation to participate in RoyalUp, and those are the minimum bids?  You have a great cabin, but for $90pp, I would switch to a grand suite in a heart beat, with all of the additional perks.  I think the chance of winning that bid at $90 is very close to zero.  But hey, you never know.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

Did they flat out offer you to switch for that price?  Or did you get an invitation to participate in RoyalUp, and those are the minimum bids?  You have a great cabin, but for $90pp, I would switch to a grand suite in a heart beat, with all of the additional perks.  I think the chance of winning that bid at $90 is very close to zero.  But hey, you never know.  


That was the Royal Up invitation.  I first received the email on September 27, with minimum bids of $300 pp for the GS, then yesterday another email with the minimum bid of $90.  I reconsidered later this afternoon and bid a small amount over minimum, because you are right - you never know!  Part of me wants to keep 1388, the other part wonders why they sent a second invitation with such a low minimum and thought it would be entertaining to try.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I think they really want me to give up my cabin.  I just received an offer to bid $25 pp for a junior suite, $90 for a grand suite.  I have 1388 on the Mariner and plan to stay right there.

I would consider a Grand Suite and stay far away from a JS. Your cabin is basically a little smaller JS but with a much better balcony.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, binro01 said:

I would consider a Grand Suite and stay far away from a JS. Your cabin is basically a little smaller JS but with a much better balcony.


I didn’t even consider the JS (for minimum bid of $25 pp) because I think 1388 is so much better.  Had to think about the GS for a day and a half to talk myself into that one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:


I didn’t even consider the JS (for minimum bid of $25 pp) because I think 1388 is so much better.  Had to think about the GS for a day and a half to talk myself into that one.

IMO room size is very important.  You spend more time in your cabin then you think.  We enjoy the extra storage and indoor space- We would prefer a larger cabin. Also 1388 on the Mariner has a pool near the bed.  If you get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, can be dangerous!

Edited by Cruise a holic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

IMO room size is very important.  You spend more time in your cabin then you think.  We enjoy the extra storage and indoor space- We would prefer a larger cabin. Also 1388 on the Mariner has a pool near the bed.  If you get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, can be dangerous!

1388 is a hard retry large cabin. Almost the size of a JS. I do agree with being below a deck with a pool or noise can be annoying. But I don’t understand how if you get up in the middle of the night it could be dangerous. That makes no sense. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, binro01 said:

1388 is a hard retry large cabin. Almost the size of a JS. I do agree with being below a deck with a pool or noise can be annoying. But I don’t understand how if you get up in the middle of the night it could be dangerous. That makes no sense. 

It's a typo. It's not "pool"; it's "pole". If you Google the cabin you can see it on pics and YouTube videos.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry if this has been asked before. I keep checking with Royal Up but when I enter name and reservation number I get a message to check if sailing is within 30 days and check information entered. Does this mean my booking is not eligible for the program? We are 2 people and sail in 24 days in a balcony GTY. I booked this trip a week ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, atabs12 said:

Sorry if this has been asked before. I keep checking with Royal Up but when I enter name and reservation number I get a message to check if sailing is within 30 days and check information entered. Does this mean my booking is not eligible for the program? We are 2 people and sail in 24 days in a balcony GTY. I booked this trip a week ago. 

I have read where others disagree about this, but it is my opinion that this message indicates that your reservation is not (and will never be) eligible for RU.  I have never gotten this message and then, later, been able to bid on a RU.  Maybe others have been able to go back, at a later time, and bid, but that has never happened for me.

 

Why wouldn't your reservation be eligible for a RU ?  I have no idea !  Not all reservations are, for whatever reason.  While this reason does not apply in my case, sometimes the Travel Agent you use can be the problem.  A few of the big box agencies (Costco, for one) do not participate in Royal UP so if you are booked through one of those agencies you will never be able to bid on a RU.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I have read where others disagree about this, but it is my opinion that this message indicates that your reservation is not (and will never be) eligible for RU.  I have never gotten this message and then, later, been able to bid on a RU.  Maybe others have been able to go back, at a later time, and bid, but that has never happened for me.

 

Why wouldn't your reservation be eligible for a RU ?  I have no idea !  Not all reservations are, for whatever reason.  While this reason does not apply in my case, sometimes the Travel Agent you use can be the problem.  A few of the big box agencies (Costco, for one) do not participate in Royal UP so if you are booked through one of those agencies you will never be able to bid on a RU.

 

I booked directly with Royal. I received this message until about 50ish days until my cruise. I received an email to bid and followed the link to bid. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I have read where others disagree about this, but it is my opinion that this message indicates that your reservation is not (and will never be) eligible for RU.  I have never gotten this message and then, later, been able to bid on a RU.  Maybe others have been able to go back, at a later time, and bid, but that has never happened for me.

 

Why wouldn't your reservation be eligible for a RU ?  I have no idea !  Not all reservations are, for whatever reason.  While this reason does not apply in my case, sometimes the Travel Agent you use can be the problem.  A few of the big box agencies (Costco, for one) do not participate in Royal UP so if you are booked through one of those agencies you will never be able to bid on a RU.

 

37 minutes ago, cynt said:

 

I booked directly with Royal. I received this message until about 50ish days until my cruise. I received an email to bid and followed the link to bid. 

Thank you so much for the reply. I booked directly with Royal. I just received the email to Royal Up…lol. I guess the reservation had to sync with the Royal Up system. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cynt said:

 

I booked directly with Royal. I received this message until about 50ish days until my cruise. I received an email to bid and followed the link to bid. 

Why would anyone want to bid more than a few weeks prior to sailing....just saying... It's not like the earlier you bid the better the chance and they even often raise and lower initial minimum/maximum bids closer to sail date. Also sometimes as you get closer to sail date...I just had this happen...it became cheaper for me to upgrade myself than to place a minimum bid. 

Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember hearing (at least recently) anyone winning a RU bid further than about a week prior to sailing.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember hearing (at least recently) anyone winning a RU bid further than about a week prior to sailing.

That seems to be the current trend but further out wins were reported pre COVID.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, atabs12 said:

Sorry if this has been asked before. I keep checking with Royal Up but when I enter name and reservation number I get a message to check if sailing is within 30 days and check information entered. Does this mean my booking is not eligible for the program? We are 2 people and sail in 24 days in a balcony GTY. I booked this trip a week ago. 

I got this message too and asked my agent. He told me to check back 21 days prior (tomorrow)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

I got this message too and asked my agent. He told me to check back 21 days prior (tomorrow)

 

I had the same message too. I just message Royal on FB and they said the RoyalUp promo is by invite only. You have to receive the email. Guests are randomly selected and sent email to bid.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways - Journey Through Europe
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...