RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

7 minutes ago, DesireeC03 said:

We did prepay gratuities - so that makes  sense.  The Math isn't adding up - but I didn't realize there was also a change of room fee.

Thanks

I wish there was a bit more transparency in the upgrade email - or even a bill.

From the RoyalUp Terms and Conditions: 

By upgrading to a higher stateroom category, each guest in the booking may be subject to a higher gratuity amount. The Offer Amount does not include the higher gratuity. If the Offer is accepted, the difference between the original and upgraded stateroom gratuities (if applicable) will be automatically applied to all guests (the “Additional Charges”).

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/terms-and-conditions/royalup-upgrade-program

39 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I am pretty sure there is an extra fee for moving from one cabin to another. I mean its an additional headache for them to cover all this up. They have to configure their system, enter new data, register all fo you under a new cabin and de-register you from the old one. This process takes awhile, and they charge for it 

I don't believe there's a fee involved...My credit card charge was exactly $700 for my upgrade from GS to OS.

4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I don't believe there's a fee involved...My credit card charge was exactly $700 for my upgrade from GS to OS.

You were already in a suite, that is why. 

3 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

You were already in a suite, that is why. 

There is no “extra” charge. What you bid is exactly what you pay, for 2 people, exactly as you agreed to when you submitted your bid along with your credit card information. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

There is no “extra” charge. What you bid is exactly what you pay, for 2 people, exactly as you agreed to when you submitted your bid along with your credit card information. 

See my post above #6651 quoted from the RoyalUp Terms and Conditions. I am just speculating as to why extra charges were charged.

7 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

See my post above #6651 quoted from the RoyalUp Terms and Conditions. I am just speculating as to why extra charges were charged.

You are correct with what you posted. As per the terms, IF you prepay the gratuities, then the difference in the gratuities price for the new suite is added on. That is what happened with the OP’s price. I do not prepay gratuities so my bid (times 2) is exactly what is charged on my credit card. 

• Like 1

From the great info in this thread, I see that many are usually notified 2-3 days prior to cruise departure if their bid was accepted. (In general)

What I was wondering, was when have people normally seen their bid that won was locked and not able to be modified. Just trying to get an idea on that time frame.

I also have a question for people who were in a Balcony stateroom on an Oasis class ship who had a successful upgrade.

How successful have people been upgrading to a Sky class suite such as a Grand Suite or an Owners Suite. I see a lot of successful upgrades to the Junior suites, but have not seen much in the way of jumping up to a Grand Suite recently. I will not scoff at a cheap upgrade to a Junior suite, but I will not be bidding aggressively on one. The extra space is nice, but it's just space. I'm aggressively bidding on a GS and semi aggressively on an Owners suite. I just don't know how successful I will be since people in the JS will open up a spot in a lower cost cabin to afford Royal even more capital from an upgrade chain domino effect.

Any info will be much appreciated.

16 minutes ago, binro01 said:

Unless someone works for Plusgrade, no one here has enough info to determine any pattern or criteria they use to determine winning bids. And whatever someone else got is so specific to that sailing, it may mean nothing on yours. Bid whatever you feel is reasonable and monitor your credit card for a charge. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, binro01 said:

From the great info in this thread, I see that many are usually notified 2-3 days prior to cruise departure if their bid was accepted. (In general)

What I was wondering, was when have people normally seen their bid that won was locked and not able to be modified. Just trying to get an idea on that time frame.

I also have a question for people who were in a Balcony stateroom on an Oasis class ship who had a successful upgrade.

How successful have people been upgrading to a Sky class suite such as a Grand Suite or an Owners Suite. I see a lot of successful upgrades to the Junior suites, but have not seen much in the way of jumping up to a Grand Suite recently. I will not scoff at a cheap upgrade to a Junior suite, but I will not be bidding aggressively on one. The extra space is nice, but it's just space. I'm aggressively bidding on a GS and semi aggressively on an Owners suite. I just don't know how successful I will be since people in the JS will open up a spot in a lower cost cabin to afford Royal even more capital from an upgrade chain domino effect.

The way I see it, your bid for a GS likely has to be greater than sum of another balcony cruiser’s bid for a JS plus  the JS cruiser’s bid for that GS….because such a bid nets Royal Caribbean more incremental revenue.  Also, if yours were the only/strongest JS bid on the table, the algorithm might place you in the JS instead to maximize revenue.  Of course, you have no idea how many other bids they have or the $ amounts.  So, in the end, I agree with Biker…bid based on what it is worth to you this time.

16 minutes ago, Piperandleroy said:

I am leaving on a cruise tomorrow. All my bids for Royal Up still say pending. Is that unusual to not know the day before you cruise?

Not unusual, but not a good omen for a possible upgrade, especially if you can still modify your bid. 

Edited by binro01
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Piperandleroy said:

I am leaving on a cruise tomorrow. All my bids for Royal Up still say pending. Is that unusual to not know the day before you cruise?

We were never told either way on our bid. Sailed in the cabin we had booked. Good news we were very happy with that cabin.  I did share with Guest Services that the lack of customer service from the RoyalUp company was not a good look for Royal Caribbean.  They said sorry but clear they didn't really care. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2022 at 6:13 PM, moonltnite said:

It would be VERY interesting to know what the algorithm is.  Do they factor in C&A membership?  If bids are the same and from the same current category cabin - is it based on who bid first?   It'd be nice if this process was more transparent. 

C&A status plays no part, this is a purely revenue generating process.  In the case of 2 identical winning bids, the upgrade would ne awarded to the individual with the original cabin, that RC has the most potential revenue possibilities in reselling it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

C&A status plays no part, this is a purely revenue generating process.  In the case of 2 identical winning bids, the upgrade would ne awarded to the individual with the original cabin, that RC has the most potential revenue possibilities in reselling it.

The minute we were up graded from a GS to OS my original cabin was gone....I assume it also had been reassigned via UpBid.

Twenty days away from my cruise and 9 JS seem to be available,  and just 1 GS and 1 OS. There are tons of ocean view balconies. Anyone care to speculate on my chances of moving up from a balcony to a JS with a slightly over minimum bid? Does it matter that I have a connecting balcony and there are only 2 available in the inventory on the RCCL site? Does that make my balcony more desirable, thus increasing my chances? I know this is a guessing game, but maybe someone has had a similar experience. 

On 1/28/2022 at 8:47 PM, swoopy2110 said:

Currently onboard Odyssey. Got an email last night telling me my RoyalUp from a balcony to a JS for Symphony tomorrow had been accepted. Only put in the minimum (£150pp). Happy days!

Congratulations,  

How did the whole jabs to travel and board go.  Did you have the one to board here or arrange once in USA? 

Hope we can return to USA next year 

So with 9 days to go and two of my three bids have switched from pending to expired.  My 2 bd GS bid still shows pending but I can not modify it anymore. I think this is good sign. I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for a possible upgrade.  From a reg balcony to 2 bd grand suite would be absolutely amazing.  🙂

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

2 days to go, and all of my bids to go up from a GS are still pending, with all suites shown as sold out

I am betting that I will be in the same situation in 2 weeks. All top suites are sold out on our cruise as well so unless someone cancels I won't be RoyaledUp. I am very happy with the GS though! Enjoy your cruise! 

16 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

So with 9 days to go and two of my three bids have switched from pending to expired.  My 2 bd GS bid still shows pending but I can not modify it anymore. I think this is good sign. I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for a possible upgrade.  From a reg balcony to 2 bd grand suite would be absolutely amazing.  🙂

That is a great sign.  After that happened to us recently on Harmony, within a day we were notified of the successful upgrade. 

• Like 1

We are a little more than two weeks out from our cruise on Explorer and our RoyalUp bid was accepted yesterday! We had a balcony in a great location, deck 12, so only put a bid in for one category - GS 2 bedroom. 😀😀😀 I don't know if it was a good deal for RoyalUp, but I was willing to pay it and based on pricing on the website seems like a heck of a deal. 410pp

• Like 5