RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

On 2/5/2022 at 10:58 AM, jahannah said:

Royal Up opened for bids on Tuesday, 2/1 for my cruise departing 4/3, for anyone wondering how early the bidding can open.  That's 61 days before departure.  Hoping they accept that OS bid!

What category were you in and what did you bid?

4 minutes ago, gerig said:

What category were you in and what did you bid?

Accepted bids (amount bid) for upgrade will vary ship-ship.  And if they're on the same sailing as you, it won't behoove them to disclose their personal bid amount, as they are competing vs. all other bidders (you included).

Just now, bucfan2 said:

Accepted bids (amount bid) for upgrade will vary ship-ship.  And if they're on the same sailing as you, it won't behoove them to disclose their personal bid amount, as they are competing vs. all other bidders (you included).

I know this question was asked many times in this thread and it was a matter of information gathering.  There are many variables in this process such as the number of passengers on each cruise, the number of the days the cruise is as is the original cabin booked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gerig said:

I know this question was asked many times in this thread and it was a matter of information gathering.  There are many variables in this process such as the number of passengers on each cruise, the number of the days the cruise is as is the original cabin booked.

Understand.  Just my opinion of how a 'silent auction' plays out.  It's one thing to mention amount bid after acceptance; totally another w/ a current auction taking place.

1 minute ago, gerig said:

Yes - I doubt many would give details as to what their bid price was - prior to their sailing.  After a sailing - it's not as big a deal to give those details.  And you're right about variables - I started looking at the bids people have been winning on the ship we're going on - and there's no pattern I've seen, except that more people have won bids on January/February sailings due to lower numbers of bookings.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Understand.  Just my opinion of how a 'silent auction' plays out.  It's one thing to mention amount bid after acceptance; totally another w/ a current auction taking place.

14 minutes ago, moonltnite said:

Yes - I doubt many would give details as to what their bid price was - prior to their sailing.  After a sailing - it's not as big a deal to give those details.  And you're right about variables - I started looking at the bids people have been winning on the ship we're going on - and there's no pattern I've seen, except that more people have won bids on January/February sailings due to lower numbers of bookings.

The Plusgrade company Royal uses is very secretive, but it's almost certainly not an auction in the traditional sense. That's why sharing how much you bid doesn't matter... unless you know the original price someone paid for their stateroom.

In other words, if you got a great deal on your stateroom initially, the algorithm is probably less likely to accept a lowball bid, compared to someone who paid more for the same stateroom and then bids less. It's all about revenue maximization, not what comparable bids are. 

We've been upgraded multiple times on different lines using Plusgrade, always with awful bids. For our Royal sailing later this week, we made better bids compared to other passengers on our roll call and f b group... and didn't get the upgrade. I'm chalking it up to the pretty cheap rate we paid for our inside cabin, which we were successively able to bump up to an obstructed balcony by tracking prices. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

The Plusgrade company Royal uses is very secretive, but it's almost certainly not an auction in the traditional sense. That's why sharing how much you bid doesn't matter... unless you know the original price someone paid for their stateroom.

In other words, if you got a great deal on your stateroom initially, the algorithm is probably less likely to accept a lowball bid, compared to someone who paid more for the same stateroom and then bids less. It's all about revenue maximization, not what comparable bids are. 

We've been upgraded multiple times on different lines using Plusgrade, always with awful bids. For our Royal sailing later this week, we made better bids compared to other passengers on our roll call and f b group... and didn't get the upgrade. I'm chalking it up to the pretty cheap rate we paid for our inside cabin, which we were successively able to bump up to an obstructed balcony by tracking prices. 

Didn’t apply  for our last AK cruise….port fees only, and a min bid score to a 2br GS.  But overall, you may be correct.

We finally received the Royalup email for a March cruise on Explorer.  Friends of ours are going.  They have a spacious ocean view balcony and we have a regular balcony.  We are able to bid on the 2 bedroom suite.  Is that large enough for 2 couples?  Could they cancel their room if we won?  The largest suite we have stayed in is the Junior Suite on the Freedom.

51 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I agree with you that the algorithm is likely about maximizing revenue, but Royal Caribbean has already collected the base fare (be it relatively high or relatively low) from each bidder.  So, I suspect the RoyalUp algorithm concentrates on the fare gained from the upgrades (including the amount they will gain by upgrading somebody into your old cabin).  So, if people in lower categories do not particularly want to risk getting an obstructed cabin, they might be bidding low on your category, making it harder for you to win an upgrade out if that cabin.  Perhaps similar for me….I’m in a neighborhood balcony for my upcoming cruise; if hypothetically those below me bid on OV balcony but not on neighborhood balconies, I might not move up unless my bid is as high as theirs (even though I’m starting from a better cabin).

Plus there is the problem with people sometimes fibbing on social media (or to people they meet on the cruise for that matter).  You have no way of knowing if they really bid as much or as little as they say.  Some people seem to have a need to claim to have gotten a better bargain than others.  Some are hiding costs from loved ones.  Some are pathological liars.  For example, on a recent cruise we met a man who said he only booked a JS a month before sailing because no higher suites were available and thus was thrilled to get a RoyalUp win to a full suite.  I’d been watching suite prices on that cruise; at least 20 full suites were available when he booked s month out; they only filled at typical RoyalUp time. While he could just be grievously mistaken, I think he was telling a tall tale for his own odd reasons.

23 minutes ago, terpshockey77 said:

We finally received the Royalup email for a March cruise on Explorer.  Friends of ours are going.  They have a spacious ocean view balcony and we have a regular balcony.  We are able to bid on the 2 bedroom suite.  Is that large enough for 2 couples?  Could they cancel their room if we won?  The largest suite we have stayed in is the Junior Suite on the Freedom.

No, if you get the 2 br suite, the only the people booked in your cabin will be upgraded to the suite and thus have suite privileges.  They can visit your suite, of course.  You could even let your friends sleep in your spare Br, but they won’t get the perks… and their own cabin is probably the nicer place to sleep than the second bedroom.

If you tried to officially move them into your cabin after you won a RoyalUp upgrade, you’d trigger a repricing…suddenly your great deal would vanish.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

No, if you get the 2 br suite, the only the people booked in your cabin will be upgraded to the suite and thus have suite privileges.  They can visit your suite, of course.  You could even let your friends sleep in your spare Br, but they won’t get the perks… and their own cabin is probably the nicer place to sleep than the second bedroom.

If you tried to officially move them into your cabin after you won a RoyalUp upgrade, you’d trigger a repricing…suddenly your great deal would vanish.

Thanks, Starry Eyes, for the info.  With that info the Junior Suite or One Bedroom Suite makes more sense to bid on.

I'm on a spring break cruise in a JS. I really wanted a OS but would be very happy with a GS. When I booked there were no full suites available, now there are 5 GS and 2 OS. Right now I have pretty robust offer for both. But wondering if should make the GS offer a little less good. I'm afraid my GS + a different OS would add up to more than my OS + a different GS, thus me winning the GS even though my OS offer was better by itself.

Thoughts?

32 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

I'm on a spring break cruise in a JS. I really wanted a OS but would be very happy with a GS. When I booked there were no full suites available, now there are 5 GS and 2 OS. Right now I have pretty robust offer for both. But wondering if should make the GS offer a little less good. I'm afraid my GS + a different OS would add up to more than my OS + a different GS, thus me winning the GS even though my OS offer was better by itself.

Thoughts?

You cannot know how much somebody in the GS is bidding for an OS nor how much somebody else (in a JS or balcony) is bidding for a GS.  Just too many unknowns to approach it that way; don’t drive yourself nuts before spring break.

So let’s go back to what you do know.  You’d like an upgrade.  You be very happy with GS and thrilled with OS.  Here’s how I’d approach it.  First, let’s just pretend we know there will only GS’s the day(s) RoyalUp does it’s upgrades (so just forget OS for a moment).  decide how  much the GS upgrade would be worth to you.  Is that your current bid or should you adjust it?  Now that you have decided on a GS bid, decide how much more an OS is worth to you compared to a GS.  Add that increment to your GS  bid and use that as your OS bid (assuming it is within budget)

Edited by Starry Eyes

41 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

Thoughts?

There is no reason to try to math this out. You do not know the algorithm that the software uses. None of us do. Bid what you are willing to pay for the upgrade. Be happy if any one of them come out. That way you are happy no matter the outcome.

There are way to many other outside factors that can throw a wrench into your attempt to suss out the softwares algorithm. What if someone decides to purchase the 2 Owners Suites at retail, you now might have hurt your chances at the Grand Suite if you decided to low ball on that upgrade opportunity, and then get no upgrade at all.

The moral of the story. Bid what you feel is the appropriate value to you for that room. Be happy with what you get if anything, and if you did not get anything. Hey you are on a cruise in a Junior suite. That's better that most of the people on the ship.

• Like 1

Got an upgrade today for Anthem on 2/27 cruise from a GS to Sky Loft Suite with a bid of $1700. This cruise was booked with FCC from March 2020 not a big price jump since original cruise was low, Actually,  paying less than current booking price.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

@Longhorn Cruiser, you will get the double points from the double points promotion, but as noted by @moonltnite, if you are upgraded by Royal Up to suite from a nonsuite, you will not get extra points for that.

Good luck.

I won the upgrade from a JS to a CL so I got the suite points that also qualified for the double points.  

Edited by SherriZ366
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 7:13 PM, binro01 said:

From the great info in this thread, I see that many are usually notified 2-3 days prior to cruise departure if their bid was accepted. (In general)

What I was wondering, was when have people normally seen their bid that won was locked and not able to be modified. Just trying to get an idea on that time frame.

I also have a question for people who were in a Balcony stateroom on an Oasis class ship who had a successful upgrade.

How successful have people been upgrading to a Sky class suite such as a Grand Suite or an Owners Suite. I see a lot of successful upgrades to the Junior suites, but have not seen much in the way of jumping up to a Grand Suite recently. I will not scoff at a cheap upgrade to a Junior suite, but I will not be bidding aggressively on one. The extra space is nice, but it's just space. I'm aggressively bidding on a GS and semi aggressively on an Owners suite. I just don't know how successful I will be since people in the JS will open up a spot in a lower cost cabin to afford Royal even more capital from an upgrade chain domino effect.

Any info will be much appreciated.

We were booked in an ultra spacious balcony for our cruise on Oasis this past September. I’m not sure if it’s because of the reduced capacity but for whatever reason RoyalUp showed a lot more options than normal. We ended up in an Ultimate Panoramic Suite which is Star Class. I don’t remember what we originally paid or what we bid but I do remember that all in we were at just under $5500 for our family of 4 in a Star Class suite. We already warned the kids to not get used to it 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

You cannot know how much somebody in the GS is bidding for an OS nor how much somebody else (in a JS or balcony) is bidding for a GS.  Just too many unknowns to approach it that way; don’t drive yourself nuts before spring break.

So let’s go back to what you do know.  You’d like an upgrade.  You be very happy with GS and thrilled with OS.  Here’s how I’d approach it.  First, let’s just pretend we know there will only GS’s the day(s) RoyalUp does it’s upgrades (so just forget OS for a moment).  decide how  much the GS upgrade would be worth to you.  Is that your current bid or should you adjust it?  Now that you have decided on a GS bid, decide how much more an OS is worth to you compared to a GS.  Add that increment to your GS  bid and use that as your OS bid (assuming it is within budget)

Thanks. This is how I originally bid, when there were no cabins showing available. But then all of a sudden a bunch of cabins opened up so I started thinking I should be more strategic about it. I think I will leave well enough alone. Thanks for the advice.

9 hours ago, CruiseBride926 said:

I’m not sure if it’s because of the reduced capacity but for whatever reason RoyalUp showed a lot more options than normal.

The cabin options you see have no relation to capacity - the options you saw were the normal ones from that category. Once you have something above a C category cabin on O and Q class, everything up to Star class should be available to bid.

Edited by Biker19

I will be on the brand new Wonder of the Seas in March and just received an offer for RoyalUp. this will be my first time trying to do this and wanted some advise .  I am currently in a Balcony and would want to upgrade to a  one bedroom grand suite . 

The min bid is $700 pp. That sounds  like a reasonable amount .  How long would it take to know if your bid is accepted and is there anything else I need to know ?  If I am correct, I think you won't know where the new cabin will be right away ?  I appreciate any intel. Thanks      

20 hours ago, Jezo said:

Has anyone just bid ridiculously low for the heck of it and received a nice upgrade?

Mariner of the Seas 2/12,  Small inside (170 sq. ft) on Deck 8 to a Spacious Ocean view (300 sq. ft.) with floor to ceiling windows on Deck 12 in the Suite area, $100. total... it was the minimum bid

Edited by Cruising to Retirement