RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

1 hour ago, berbician said:

How long would it take to know if your bid is accepted and is there anything else I need to know ? 

If I am correct, I think you won't know where the new cabin will be right away ? 

Anything up till the day of sailing.

Cabin updates after winning seem to happen within a day.

1 hour ago, berbician said:

I will be on the brand new Wonder of the Seas in March and just received an offer for RoyalUp. this will be my first time trying to do this and wanted some advise .  I am currently in a Balcony and would want to upgrade to a  one bedroom grand suite . 

The min bid is $700 pp. That sounds  like a reasonable amount .  How long would it take to know if your bid is accepted and is there anything else I need to know ?  If I am correct, I think you won't know where the new cabin will be right away ?  I appreciate any intel. Thanks      

Last time we won we found out the day before the sailing, it could be day of too if last minute cancellations open up cabins, especially the ones there are very few of on the ship.

My 2/20 sailing of the Odyssey had a number of inside and balcony rooms available up to four days ago. Suddenly the sailing disappeared from the RCCL website. I called and they told me that the sailing had reached capacity. What does this mean for my pending bids? I’m in an ocean view balcony and bid on a spacious balcony, a JS, a GS and a 2bedroom GS. I know its just a guess, since no one knows how it really works, but maybe someone on this thread had a similar experience? 

39 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

What does this mean for my pending bids?

Likely nothing -if there are vacancies on the ship which RCI is willing to sell you for what you bid, that can still happen.

• Thanks 1

Also waiting for Odyssey later in the month.  However I’m not getting my hopes up as there are very few suites on her unlike the Oasis class.  There may be one left and there may be someone who was to sail in a suite that will not pass the covid test.  On our sailing there are several balcony’s open so if you’re looking for that upgrade I’d be more hopeful.  Good luck!  

• Thanks 1

Had my bid for a JS from a spacious balcony on Freedom 2/25 accepted today after being stuck in locked pending for a few weeks. As others have said saw credit card charged then status update on site then email. 

• Like 3

Has anyone had experience with winning a bid early enough to add additional occupants  to the room. Example would be to win a 2 bedroom grand suite for two and then calling to add additions guests at the prevailing rate? I do understand that rooms are often assigned at the last minute that would preclude additions. 

12 minutes ago, pabb56 said:

Has anyone had experience with winning a bid early enough to add additional occupants  to the room. Example would be to win a 2 bedroom grand suite for two and then calling to add additions guests at the prevailing rate? I do understand that rooms are often assigned at the last minute that would preclude additions. 

I have been told that adding people to such a reservation would trigger a repricing (causing your RoyalUp bargain to vanish as you’d suddenly be paying list price for the suite).  I have not actually experienced this myself, but I believe it is likely true.  If circumstances allow, you could call and ask the price for additional guests (backing out if it is too high) and tell us the result.

If the actual suite perks were not vital for the additional guests, those guests could perhaps be booked into the cheapest available cabin.  Once on board, they could visit your suite as much as mutually desired or even sleep in your second bedroom.  You could get them extra keys to open the suite door from guest services, but they would not be eligible for suite perks such as the suite lounge or suite Sun deck or coastal kitchen etc.

5 hours ago, atricks said:

Last time we won we found out the day before the sailing, it could be day of too if last minute cancellations open up cabins, especially the ones there are very few of on the ship.

Thank you. Hopefully my bid is accepted  

I'm watching this thread and learning about the Royal Up program. It might be explained in the 200++ pages on this topic, but correct me if I am wrong here...

Pre-Covid, ships would almost always sail (almost)full - no extra cabins.  But, I BELIEVE that they are limiting the occupancy to a % of full (guessing 50-60%??), so there are empty cabins on every sailing.   So now, the cruiseline is trying to fill all the high end cabins to pick up the extra revenue. Of course, they would rather sell them at the book value, so they hold off on all the Royal Up bids until very late (within days of the sailing?), then they go through and grab the Royal Up bids for the extra cash.  

We have a spacious balcony on the FOS on March 14, and 10 days ago I got the Royal Up Email, so I bid about twice the minimum bid for a JS, OS, GS, and Royal Suite (went a little higher than double here).  

Something like that?? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

We have a spacious balcony on the FOS on March 14, and 10 days ago I got the Royal Up Email, so I bid about twice the minimum bid for a JS, OS, GS, and Royal Suite (went a little higher than double here).  

Something like that?? 

No one really knows how it works, there is just lots of speculation.  

Some people have reported posting minimum bids for even suites. Bid what you’re willing to pay, what it’s worth to you.  (Your bids sound reasonable. ) Be happy with what you have now.  Know what the inventory is now and what it’s going for now.  

All that said we got our bid rejection on our last cruise after we boarded.  

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

I'm watching this thread and learning about the Royal Up program. It might be explained in the 200++ pages on this topic, but correct me if I am wrong here...

Pre-Covid, ships would almost always sail (almost)full - no extra cabins.  But, I BELIEVE that they are limiting the occupancy to a % of full (guessing 50-60%??), so there are empty cabins on every sailing.   So now, the cruiseline is trying to fill all the high end cabins to pick up the extra revenue. Of course, they would rather sell them at the book value, so they hold off on all the Royal Up bids until very late (within days of the sailing?), then they go through and grab the Royal Up bids for the extra cash.  

Something like that?? 

We do not know what capacity goals might be by April.

I agree with another poster…bid based upon what the cabin upgrade is worth to you.  Also, stop and think to be sure you really want everything for which you bid.  For example, if hypothetically a full suite is the only upgrade that will make a certain person truly happy, that person probably should not even bid on a JS.  In other words be mindful of the old saying: be careful what you ask for you might just get it…and in this case getting it might knock you out if contention for the upgrade you really want.  Assuming any of those upgrades would please you, if your bids sound good to you they sound good to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

For example, if hypothetically a full suite is the only upgrade that will make a certain person truly happy, that person probably should not even bid on a JS.

I agree. I think this is a very valid point. I, for example, probably wouldn't bother bidding to go from a balcony cabin to a JS because it's essentially just a bigger room and I spend so little time in my room anyway, but I would consider bidding on a GS on certain ships because of the perks that come with it.

1 minute ago, FionaMG said:

I agree. I think this is a very valid point. I, for example, probably wouldn't bother bidding to go from a balcony cabin to a JS because it's essentially just a bigger room and I spend so little time in my room anyway, but I would consider bidding on a GS on certain ships because of the perks that come with it.

The junior suite is so much bigger and more comfortable then a balcony cabin- if not very expensive a decent upgrade.  Also depends on the ship. If the adventure of the seas- well worth it- as no suite dining room and the lounge a make shift room.  No suite deck either- why not be more comfortable?

25 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

The junior suite is so much bigger and more comfortable then a balcony cabin- if not very expensive a decent upgrade.  Also depends on the ship. If the adventure of the seas- well worth it- as no suite dining room and the lounge a make shift room.  No suite deck either- why not be more comfortable?

Oh yes, I do totally understand that it would be very worth it to someone who spends time in their room. I just agree with the other poster that you should think carefully before you bid so you can be sure you're bidding on something that will genuinely be of value to you.

Hey team!

Its been a while between cruises for me but I am booked on Wonder of the Seas on the 8th of April. Any indication on how full the boats have been lately. I imagine the newest shiniest boat will be at capacity?

I got my Royal up email yesterday and bid on everything! 

If I win the two bedroom Aqua room. That is "star" class it indicates that I will get the Ultimate dining and beverage package included. If I have already bought them will I get my money back?

Thanks

JJJrcl.thumb.JPG.d5fb9386c52c6d9e706441b13a678c9e.JPG

28 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoe said:

Hey team!

Its been a while between cruises for me but I am booked on Wonder of the Seas on the 8th of April. Any indication on how full the boats have been lately. I imagine the newest shiniest boat will be at capacity?

If I win the two bedroom Aqua room. That is "star" class it indicates that I will get the Ultimate dining and beverage package included. If I have already bought them will I get my money back?

Thanks

Yes you will.  If you are notified more than a day in advance cancel your packages and credit cards will be refunded takes a few days and up to a week.  If you are notified right before sailing, then the genie will be able to assist you.  Also if you prepaid gratuities they will reimburse as well.  But don’t forget average genie tips are $500-$700 dollars is good range and most tip cabin steward and specialty restaurant servers extra as well.  Obviously not a written rule but please take care of service providers accordingly .  Remember most of these rooms go for around 20k a week or more.  Royal up is usually a discounted way of getting there and the money isn’t built in the same as a fare paying customer.

7 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoe said:

Hey team!

Thanks

What was your minimum/maximum bid amounts for the 2BR aqua suite?