RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

30 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

I'm confused what do points have to do with gratuities?⁉️

If you book a suite from the very beginning - you pay higher gratuities, but you also get more points for that specific cruise. Two separate, unrelated things. But if you end up in a suite as a result of RoyalUp upgrade - you pay more gratuities, but you don't get more points since you are now in a suite. Again, unrelated, but why not give ALL suite passengers the same treatment?

I did not read this whole thread, somebody might have mentioned this already.

Edited by MKESail

2 minutes ago, MKESail said:

Again, unrelated, but why not give ALL suite passengers the same treatment?

Because all below-list price upgrades get the same treatment - no double points.

What this program does do is that someone could bid over the list price and still not get the double points - which really sucks for the uninformed.

3 minutes ago, MKESail said:

If you book a suite from the very beginning - you pay higher gratuities, but you also get more points for that specific cruise. Two separate, unrelated things. But if you end up in a suite as a result of RoyalUp upgrade - you pay more gratuities, but you don't get more points since you are now in a suite. Again, unrelated, but why not give ALL suite passengers the same treatment?

You can book a JR Suite get 2X points and not pay the higher gratuities.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Because all below-list price upgrades get the same treatment - no double points.

What this program does do is that someone could bid over the list price and still not get the double points - which really sucks for the uninformed.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. It's one thing when you got the suite through a free upgrade, then you shouldn't expect the extra points I guess,, but if you paid for it, even if it was below list price... :classic_sad:

4 minutes ago, MKESail said:

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. It's one thing when you got the suite through a free upgrade, then you shouldn't expect the extra points I guess,, but if you paid for it, even if it was below list price... :classic_sad:

That used to be the policy a couple of years ago.  However, in their continuing push to annoy customers, Royal has taken that away and you don't get the points unless you pay website price to upgrade.

18 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I think the free upgrade fairy is dead.

Shot, killed, and tossed over board by her evil "up bid" sister...sigh.  😞   RIP sweet upgrade fairy.  

Did I miss it...or has someone...anyone...been awarded their bid and happy with it?  

Edited by island lady

2 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Has anyone gotten a bid accepted to a full suite and taken a cruise?   I am curious of the actual benefits. I know there is NO  2X points, but does one get all the other benefits?

Thx

M

Yes Marci, you get all the onboard suite perks.

On 12/17/2018 at 1:25 PM, John&LaLa said:

We were already in a JS and Pinnacle, so no added perks going to a full suite.  In both instances we liked where we were.  The extra space was really all we got. 

I guess free room service was a plus. Cant think of anything else

Change is coming. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Andy C said:

No one is quite sure. 

So why the bold statement?  

You should probably start a thread.  Rumors really set off some folks? Like moths to a flame.

Edited by John&LaLa

Just curious

Let's say RCI is unable to fill some GS and JS by this upsell system.  Do you think they will let the cabins sail empty, or what do you think their solution would be.....................free upgrades at pier??

The reason I wonder is we did a land vacation to Disney and booked the Contemporary for Halloween week.  For months the Contemporary was booked out,  or at least that is what it said on the Disney site.

Well when we got the text to our room (Disney uses those magic bands) we were upgraded to a Castle view at no cost.

Had we originally booked this room it would have been around $900 for the two of us.

So at Disney we got a free Upgrade, not an upsell at check in time

Later