Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
John&LaLa

RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

Recommended Posts

Has anyone been upgraded on this program yet? 

 

Just curious, if the ship is sold out and there is only a week or ten days till it sails why not notify bidders at that point....?

 

I haven't seen any posts saying so, but haven't read every post so far.

EDIT       I went back about 6 pages and saw one positive report but it seemed like just before the cruise..??

If so, was the notice given 48 hours before sailing or was it earlier?

Edited by boscobeans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Has anyone been upgraded on this program yet? 

 

I haven't seen any posts saying so, but haven't read every post so far.

 

If so, was the notice given 48 hours before sailing or was it earlier?

 

See the whiners (I mean winners) thread:

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2611053-royal-up-offers-winners/?do=findComment&comment=56270379

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

I personally love the idea and think it makes more sense than the old cruise fairy not only for RCCL but also for cruisers.

 

Just wondering how many have actually been upgraded, not just given the opportunity. Is that considered to be WHINING??  To bad if it is. 

Edited by boscobeans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a bit frustrating that you have to be invited to bid.

 

i think it would be more fair to have the bid option available in the cruise planner for everyone.

 

Probably more work to determine how much everyone has to bid that way

 

I get emails often about booking more cruises or buying beverage packages but I don’t receive the emails I want to receive

 

when I was on a sailing delayed because of snow I didn’t get an email but read about it here on cruise critic first by others who got that email

 

sorry to vent but the email thing bothers me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Noreen411 said:

It is a bit frustrating that you have to be invited to bid.

 

i think it would be more fair to have the bid option available in the cruise planner for everyone.

 

Probably more work to determine how much everyone has to bid that way

 

I get emails often about booking more cruises or buying beverage packages but I don’t receive the emails I want to receive

 

when I was on a sailing delayed because of snow I didn’t get an email but read about it here on cruise critic first by others who got that email

 

sorry to vent but the email thing bothers me

 

Opening it up to everyone does NOT make it fair.  The fact that they allow you to bid DOES NOT mean they would ever let you upgrade.  They have not, nor I doubt they ever would make the algorithm public.  It is likely more than just price bid.  It could be many things including your current cabin number physical location as well as cabin class. Ability for them to resell the cabin someone is moving up from, etc. 

 

Also, they can't put it on cruise planner because it is hosted on some outside company's website.  They may also limit the number of people invited to bid because they may have to pay the outside company based on the number of bids.

 

Additionally, cruise planner already has problems, I don't want them to add anything that will break it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO...I think this whole UP program is a test.  On my next two upcoming cruises, the upper suites above mine have all been sold out for weeks, and yet they are still sending me the request for bidding.  They are testing the waters so to speak.  

 

Could be to see if the program will be successful enough to finally kill off the upgrade fairy for good (the sweet one that used to grant free upgrades).   

 

RCI looking at it as "Why not get money for something we used to give away for free".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 1:38 PM, Host Clarea said:

 

So I guess nagging people is part of the process.

Email marketing is set up to automatically send reminders if you don't click on it.  I used to do email marketing.  You set up the whole program and let it run. Retailers (including Royal) are just more aggressive than business to business.  Marketing departments are judged on ultimate sales, but also opens and clicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2018 at 11:41 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Travel agent reps are still in Oregon. 

 

What is the Star desk?  My TA mentions it all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, bonagrad said:

Email marketing is set up to automatically send reminders if you don't click on it.  I used to do email marketing.  You set up the whole program and let it run. Retailers (including Royal) are just more aggressive than business to business.  Marketing departments are judged on ultimate sales, but also opens and clicks.

 

I not only opened them, but bid on one...and still got email reminders.  :classic_huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:37 AM, island lady said:

  

RCI looking at it as "Why not get money for something we used to give away for free".  

 

Exactly. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, island lady said:

 

Any way they can make that extra $$$.  😉 

 

Also avoids all the consternation in the past when people heard about outrageous Fairy upgrades for first time cruisers or free upgrades from an OV to a royal suite, with no rhyme or reason. 

 

At least anyone interested in playing the upgrade auction has a chance..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Also avoids all the consternation in the past when people heard about outrageous Fairy upgrades for first time cruisers or free upgrades from an OV to a royal suite, with no rhyme or reason. 

 

15 minutes ago, island lady said:

 

Any way they can make that extra $$$.  😉 

In the '90s and early 2000's, Disney employees could show up at the port on a standby basis for a DCL cruise at a huge discount. If there were open cabins and you were lucky, then you got on the ship, otherwise you turned around and went home. I never tried it and I don't know if they do this any longer, but I seriously doubt it now that there are better ways for the cruise line to maximize revenue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

 

Also avoids all the consternation in the past when people heard about outrageous Fairy upgrades for first time cruisers or free upgrades from an OV to a royal suite, with no rhyme or reason. 

 

At least anyone interested in playing the upgrade auction has a chance..

 

I am still going to miss the sweet little upgrade fairy...though she only granted me one upgrade...I always loved the idea of "winning the lottery"...so to speak...without purchasing a ticket.  😉 

 

Now we are buying tickets and the little upgrade fairy has been fired.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pratique said:

 

In the '90s and early 2000's, Disney employees could show up at the port on a standby basis for a DCL cruise at a huge discount. If there were open cabins and you were lucky, then you got on the ship, otherwise you turned around and went home. I never tried it and I don't know if they do this any longer, but I seriously doubt it now that there are better ways for the cruise line to maximize revenue.

 

It would be extremely rare for any RCI ship to sail without a full ship now.  Those days are over for last minute upgrades.  The "upsell fairy" has hired a huge new team, and would be flogged if they don't get work hard enough to get extra money from booked pax to upgrade...filling the ship early.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, island lady said:

 

 

Now we are buying tickets and the little upgrade fairy has been fired.  

 

 

 

But with this lottery you don't have to pay for your ticket until you WIN.  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

 

But with this lottery you don't have to pay for your ticket until you WIN.  LOL

 

That's true.  😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 24 days from my sailing date. I got this email around noon today. I previously had corner aft, 1400. It was a very nice room, but I think we will like the Panoramic Suite better. We lose our balcony, but gain a half bath, a fantastic view, and oodles more space. I am cruising with DH and DD-11. With more than 2, it is nice to have space to spread out. I bid only slightly above the minimum bid available.

 

I also bidded close to the minimum bid for the Grand Suite. My bids were $760 total for the Grand Suite and $350 total for the Panoramic Suite. I received 2 emails. The first time I got the email on 11/28, the minimum bids were much higher. When I received the second email 3 days ago, I checked and the minimum bids dropped a good bit and I decided to give it a try. My parents are on the same sailing. They bid on the Owner’s Suite and the Grand Suite. Hopefully they will hear soon! 059EB9A3-6D59-46DE-AC52-395F66B92EA2.thumb.jpeg.06319bdab251ad78c4c27fbd4492ff36.jpeg

Edited by khm1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, khm1 said:

I am 24 days from my sailing date. I got this email around noon

Awesome! Congrats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get upgraded on this program do you gt the new room perks?  If you went form a non-suite to a suite, would you get the extra rewards points, coastal kitchen on ships that have it, and priority boarding?

 

I got an offer that showed I could bid on a Jr Suite, but RC website and my TA says none are available.  Did they save some for this offer?  Is it just a way to gt me to bid on the full suites that have some availability?

 

Thanks,

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JoMoe said:

If you get upgraded on this program do you gt the new room perks?  If you went form a non-suite to a suite, would you get the extra rewards points, coastal kitchen on ships that have it, and priority boarding?

 

I got an offer that showed I could bid on a Jr Suite, but RC website and my TA says none are available.  Did they save some for this offer?  Is it just a way to gt me to bid on the full suites that have some availability?

 

Thanks,

Joe

 

You would get all the onboard suite perks, but not the extra C&A points.

 

With regard to bidding on categories that seem to be unavailable, I think that there can be staterooms available that don't show up in the booking engines and I also think that part of this whole bidding game is some sort of marketing survey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 3:43 PM, island lady said:

 

Any way they can make that extra $$$.  😉 

When you got a free upgrade I could understand RC not giving you the extra C&A points.

With the new bidding lottery where people appear to be bidding mega money for suites I think the suite benefits and double C&A points should be given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...