RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

We received an email yesterday from our TA.  From interior to balcony was minimum $200 for a 5 night cruise.  No way is it worth $40 a night for us.  We did bid the minimum for an ocean view only because it was like $40 and we would be on a higher deck.  Value is entirely different for everyone.  We have 5 trips booked this year (so far) and couldn’t go that much if we booked other than interior.  We also love the darkness and place no value on sitting on a balcony or looking out a window.  Been there, done that.  Personally I think this is a good marketing tool for RC.  Someone mentioned it being market research.  IMO everything is market research these days.  It drives all aspects of every market and every ship design or refurb.  Have at it RC, just keep it down in the hallway while I’m trying to take an extremely dark afternoon nap.  And factor that into your numbers.  

• Haha 1

My bid of $140pp was accepted for the Jewel transatlantic to upgrade from inside to balcony. I actually liked the location of the inside GTY we were given and thought about cancelling the bid. I never got around to it and got the email yesterday that we have a midship starboard balcony. Final cost $648 pp for a 14 night cruise without tax and grats. I'm okay with that but would not have gone higher.  This was listed as a "weak" bid for whatever that's worth. 

• Like 1

When people are saying the ship is sold out, how do you know? If checking Royals website, thst isn't accurate. I read before if you check royals UK website they will show all rooms available. TAs can also check for sold out. So I am just curious about thosw claiming sold out, how do you know. 

4 minutes ago, tennislvr8 said:

When people are saying the ship is sold out, how do you know? If checking Royals website, thst isn't accurate. I read before if you check royals UK website they will show all rooms available. TAs can also check for sold out. So I am just curious about thosw claiming sold out, how do you know. 

I think only Royal knows.  The websites do not show the full picture.

We bid 30 days out for an upgrade from a Junior Suite  to a grand suite. We submitted a strong bed of $500 total. Yesterday, two days out from the cruise, we learned that our bid was accepted  and we will be in a grand suite. I guess someone canceled; I hope they have travel insurance.  Sailing tomorrow on the Rhapsody of the Seas.

2 minutes ago, tennislvr8 said:

I checked the RC website for our Cruise earlier in the week and there were no rooms available other than guaranteed inside suite.  I call that almost sold out. 

14 minutes ago, TillieAgnes said:

We bid 30 days out for an upgrade from a Junior Suite  to a grand suite. We submitted a strong bed of $500 total. Yesterday, two days out from the cruise, we learned that our bid was accepted  and we will be in a grand suite. I guess someone canceled; I hope they have travel insurance.  Sailing tomorrow on the Rhapsody of the Seas.

I checked the RC website for our Cruise earlier in the week and there were no rooms available other than guaranteed inside suite.  I call that almost sold out. 

The website is inaccurate. 

• Like 1

Received the email this morning. We’re currently in #1600 GS aft on Brilliance, and were given the options of bidding on RS (starting at 250.00 pp) and OS (starting at 100.00 pp). I’m not sure if I’m going to bid yet.

42 minutes ago, Sorcerer Tim said:

Is there anywhere to check the status of a bid? Also, I think I messed up and put in the wrong expiration date for my credit card, if they accepted the bid, does that mean the info for the CC was correct?

No.

They may be able to charge your card even with the wrong exp date.

So I received a Royal Up bid for our Freedom cruise in April.  I have a nice center hump balcony now, and have never cruised in a Suite before.  The Grand Suites look like they are all forward, under the pool deck.  Not sure I want to be under the pool deck.  Any one stayed in one had issues with noise from above?  What are the perks with the Grand Suite?  Will they be included?

Thanks.

Karen

2 hours ago, Sorcerer Tim said:

Is there anywhere to check the status of a bid? Also, I think I messed up and put in the wrong expiration date for my credit card, if they accepted the bid, does that mean the info for the CC was correct?

In your bid confirmation email, there is a place to click that will take you to your bid.

5 hours ago, DKLI said:

So I received a Royal Up bid for our Freedom cruise in April.  I have a nice center hump balcony now, and have never cruised in a Suite before.  The Grand Suites look like they are all forward, under the pool deck.  Not sure I want to be under the pool deck.  Any one stayed in one had issues with noise from above?  What are the perks with the Grand Suite?  Will they be included?

Thanks.

Karen

I wonder the same thing i have a balcony cabin that i got to choose if i was offered an upgrade not sure i would bid for a suite if i did'nt know the exact position , i've also heard report on noise from pool deck .

12 hours ago, tennislvr8 said:

There are other sites that list all the available cabins.  Royal doesn't hold on to cabins for the royal up program if people are interest in booking them now.

4 minutes ago, gerig said:

There are other sites that list all the available cabins.  Royal doesn't hold on to cabins for the royal up program if people are interest in booking them now.

I was asking all of the people who keep saying the ship is sold out how they know the ship is sold out. 

23 hours ago, dodgestang said:

In the past an interior room cost an arm and a leg....today....not so much.  The total cost of cruising has plummented since the 90s and if you want to you can cruise very inexpensively.   There are some useful threads on this very board documenting the slide in prices 'then versus now'

for examplet

So I don't begrudge them having a program to dole out upgrades based on something more quantifiable and overly useful to EVERYONE on the ship....aka....MONEY.  Status in the various customer programs has other perks and benefits.

23 hours ago, dodgestang said:

In the past an interior room cost an arm and a leg....today....not so much.  The total cost of cruising has plummented since the 90s and if you want to you can cruise very inexpensively.   There are some useful threads on this very board documenting the slide in prices 'then versus now'

for examplet

So I don't begrudge them having a program to dole out upgrades based on something more quantifiable and overly useful to EVERYONE on the ship....aka....MONEY.  Status in the various customer programs has other perks and benefits.

That may depend on where you are cruising from but the anthem inside virtual balcony approximately goes for !00 per night .  In the early 2000's you could get a balcony for 100 and an inside for 60

7 minutes ago, tennislvr8 said:

I was asking all of the people who keep saying the ship is sold out how they know the ship is sold out. 

If you go into the Royal website and click on the different cabins and it pops up that nothing is available even though it brings up a particular cabin then you know there aren't any available.  I also utilize other websites because it is easier to navigate the many different cabin choices and check the availability.

22 hours ago, TillieAgnes said:

What is a “guaranteed inside suite”? Should that be guaranteed inside [cabin]?

29 minutes ago, DreamerHopes said:

I understand not wanting to share bids that are pending, but has anyone been successful for a 3 night cruise going from ocean view to balcony and if yes, how much did you bid?

There's another Royal Up related thread in which CC'ers post info like that.

3 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Actually, the website is accurate. It only shows what RCL decides to show though.

That's my point, the website accurately shows what RCL decides to show which at times is an inaccurate showing of all available rooms... Hehehehe

3 hours ago, DreamerHopes said:

I understand not wanting to share bids that are pending, but has anyone been successful for a 3 night cruise going from ocean view to balcony and if yes, how much did you bid?

You might want to check here

• Thanks 1