RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

I would try only if you want to upgrade. If your very happy with GS then stick there. If you want to try a Loft bid away. Keep in mind you probably wont win even with a strong bid. I personally love the Crown Lofts and love Deck 17 location. 

Royal up email received today for Independence of the seas, 1st June, 14 night. I’m in a promenade view cabin at present. Bids start from.......

£55 for spacious interior and same for oceanview,

£200 for oceanview balcony.

£300 for spacious balcony. 

12 minutes ago, Issyalex said:

How long, in average, do you wait to hear if you’ve ‘won’ your bid? 

Seems random. I’ve read people have heard withing two days they won and up until 24hr before they leave. From what i see in the forms, most people that hear the day before don’t win. And those that do win tend to hear a little sooner. Just really depends on if the ship is sold out and who has a last minute cancellation. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Derbie said:

Could anyone tell me how to get out of receiving notices on this thread?  I am weary of getting so many notifications through my email. Thanks ahead of time.

To the right of the topic name at top of the page is a box that says following. Click there for options.

I just got an offer, it surprised me because I didn't know this was an option on cruises. I'm not going to bid because I need a wheelchair accessible cabin, and they're all probably booked, but I thought I'd share the prices. I have a wheelchair accessible Ocean View.

Ocean View Suite - 2 Bedroom (No Balcony) $600 USD pp

Spacious Ocean View Balcony $300 USD pp

Ocean View Balcony $200 USD pp

To be honest, I really like the idea of the 2 bedrooms, but even if it were wheelchair accessible, it's too expensive for me. I'd rather use that money to pay for internet and booze 🤣

• Like 2

16 hours ago, fsjosh said:

Cheap is a relative term. If you think it's cheap, then it's cheap to you. To someone else it might be outlandish. Don't worry if you are getting a good deal. If it's worth it for you to spend the money, spend it. If it's not, don't. I'm sure the price of a JS was there when you originally booked, and, for whatever reason, you chose a balcony instead. Add up what it'll cost you to upgrade now and decide if you want to do it. The going rate should have nothing to do with that decision. 

Hello,

Cheap is indeed a relative term. However you have missed the concept. I was not suggesting a price relative to my spending pattern/income/expectations, but relative to the 'rack-rate' for the room.

Regards,

Cublet

20 hours ago, cublet said:

I wanted to compare this to the going rate for the stateroom but both were showing as 'Sold Out'. Reading the full blurb, the bid price range is based on your original booking price. Now what I don't know is whether that means if you booked 'cheap' you get a cheap upgrade or (to make up for their losses) a cheap original booking means a dear upgrade. I booked when the offer was second pax pays 60% and $300 OBC.

For the 14th sailing, the last junior for sale before they all disappeared was priced at £3600 base price (so not including tips or any C&A discount etc). I know as we're following the suites closely - we did a last minute upgrade to a suite guarantee and then watched as all the suites sold out.... and we're still waiting for an assignment. Interestingly the UP email claimed we had a panoramic suite, when the booking still says it's unassigned. I suspect once the UP shenanigans has died down and a junior is freed up we'll get that 😉

Edited by beardedladies

4 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Cheap is indeed a relative term. However you have missed the concept. I was not suggesting a price relative to my spending pattern/income/expectations, but relative to the 'rack-rate' for the room.

Regards,

Cublet

But what does the rack rate matter? If it was Cheap for the rack rate shouldn't affect whether you bid on the room. Just because a Royal suite comes up for half price doesn't mean that I can afford a $5k+ plus room. You are already committed to the cruise. Whether you upgrade or not shouldn't be influenced by whether its a deal or not. 

13 hours ago, Issyalex said:

Exactly my question below.... if there is disparity in final payment dates it seems that USA guests can get the UP email, bid and receive confirmation of their new cabin way before the UK guests even get the UP emails (if there are any cabins left...!)

23 hours ago, little britain said:

Wondering how it works......

The USA final payment date is before the UK final payment date: I believe 90 days vs 56 days

USA bookings for my 6/30 cruise have already been sent an UP email.   The UK final payment date is not for a few weeks yet..... therefore will they process the UP bids as they come in..... meaning by the time they get round to send out the UP email to UK guests there may be no cabins left as the USA guests have bid already..???? 

Or are all UP bids processed from one central point globally on a set day before departure?

Edited by little britain

33 minutes ago, little britain said:

Exactly my question below.... if there is disparity in final payment dates it seems that USA guests can get the UP email, bid and receive confirmation of their new cabin way before the UK guests even get the UP emails (if there are any cabins left...!)

We received our royal up email last night. We are cruising on 1st June on Indy.  As it will be mainly Brits on the ship not sure if we received the emails later than any other nationality onboard. 

Reading through the posts on this thread RCI informing you if you’ve won your bid varies. It’s just a wait and see thing or as Robbie Williams song goes ‘have a little patience ‘. 🙈😂😂 

1 hour ago, fsjosh said:

But what does the rack rate matter? If it was Cheap for the rack rate shouldn't affect whether you bid on the room. Just because a Royal suite comes up for half price doesn't mean that I can afford a $5k+ plus room. You are already committed to the cruise. Whether you upgrade or not shouldn't be influenced by whether its a deal or not. 

Hello,

You are making (incorrect) assumptions about my "interest", not in the actualité of making a bid but the underlying pricing methodology behind it. Speaking as a retired accountant, pricing (anything) is neither exclusively an art nor a science. Can't I be interested in it just for interest's sake?

Cublet

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Issyalex said:

I received my Royal Up email on 3/23 and I received my "You've won" email on 4/10.  I am traveling on June 6th

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Can you share the cabin change (Royal Up) you got?

Thanks

I was in an obstructed balcony on Anthem and I wanted the Jr Suite but I ended up getting a regular balcony.  I was ok with the obstructed balcony but my husband wanted a regular balcony.  I paid $200/person for the upgrade, this was a good deal because 4 months after I booked I wanted to change rooms and it would have cost me $700 more and I would have lost my $200 OBC.

9 hours ago, Peeker28 said:

I was in an obstructed balcony on Anthem and I wanted the Jr Suite but I ended up getting a regular balcony.  I was ok with the obstructed balcony but my husband wanted a regular balcony.  I paid $200/person for the upgrade, this was a good deal because 4 months after I booked I wanted to change rooms and it would have cost me $700 more and I would have lost my $200 OBC.

After getting the upgrade, can you click on the Royal UP link and see more offers? 

I have received two emails with the offers for my 3 night Navigator departing May 3rd.  The first was about 2 weeks ago and the 2nd yesterday.  The latter offered lower opening bids so I threw one in for Grand Suite at $150/pp coming from a Balcony Gty.  I am curious as to why they even put these offers out there as there are zero suites available....the sailing appears to be almost completely sold out except for a handful of ocean views.  Maybe it’s just an automatic thing regardless of availability?

4 minutes ago, ramidon1 said:

I have received two emails with the offers for my 3 night Navigator departing May 3rd.  The first was about 2 weeks ago and the 2nd yesterday.  The latter offered lower opening bids so I threw one in for Grand Suite at $150/pp coming from a Balcony Gty.  I am curious as to why they even put these offers out there as there are zero suites available....the sailing appears to be almost completely sold out except for a handful of ocean views.  Maybe it’s just an automatic thing regardless of availability?

Marketing research and/or so they have buyers waiting in the wings if there are any last minute cancellations.  Going from what I have read on here it seems that there are almost more offers going out on sold out cruises then there are on ones that actually have cabins available

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1