Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
John&LaLa

RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

Recommended Posts

 

8 hours ago, ndabunka said:

Falling down laughing at this one....

 

Yes, yes they WILL "archive" that (e.g. file 13) by being nasty to customers.  Pretty sure you had MEANT to type "achieve that" but you did give me a good laugh

 

Probably in the same way you had MEANT to type "mere" below...

 

8 hours ago, ndabunka said:

Oops, we are on HOTS June 16th departure.
According to the Royal UP! we received there are no aquasuites offered but for a mear $2,200 we could "bid" on an Owner Suite which we know would have plenty of space...LOL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Probably in the same way you had MEANT to type "mere" below...

Touche' but my typo wasn't nearly as funny as it did not COMPLETELY invert the meaning of the original post as FLACRUISER99 had done in their post

Edited by ndabunka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on Harmony June 16 sailing. Currently have a JS which we liked last time, but we decided to make offers on all 4 upgrades we were offered to bid on. 1 bed ATS, OS, CLS, and GS. This cruise must be near capacity because the min offer amounts to bid are extremely high. Minimum bids are $1100 1 bed ATS, $800 OS and CLS, $500 GS. I bid on them all but not a ton over the min (couple hundred over). Wondering if that will get me one of them! Would like to move to sky class since I am currently in sea class. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 10:47 AM, CasinoCruzGirl said:

It’s exciting to “see” if it happens. We are comped a crown loft and bid on an aqua 2 bedroom. We are more than happy with our cabin but for what we paid to get an aqua site would be beyond thrilling. Good luck to you. And yes please report back and enjoy your cruise no matter what happens 

Are you traveling with the gambling girl  gang again? I remember you from the NCL boards when you got together and had the giant villa! ( cannot remember what they call it) HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Are you traveling with the gambling girl  gang again? I remember you from the NCL boards when you got together and had the giant villa! ( cannot remember what they call it) HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!

Lol yes that’s me. We had the Garden Villa with our dear friend Harriet RIP. I’m going with one of the girls from that group. Some of us have remained great friends since meeting here on cruise critic 4 years ago. We have cruised together many times since the Garden Villa extravaganza lol. We actually did another Garden Villa after the first one.   We are branching out a bit now on RC. Whoever gives us the best comps we are in. We do have an NCL cruise booked June 23rd after our May 26th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 10:38 AM, texastennis said:

My husband and I are officially one week away from our cruise on May 13th, so I've started seriously watching and waiting to see if my Royal UP bid was accepted.

 

Background: I received an invitation to bid around the first of April.  Currently, we are in an oceanview and was given the option to bid on a balcony and/or suite.  The minimum bid on the balcony was $75 and on the suite the minimum was $150. 

 

Since I am happy with our current cabin, I decided to take the "it can't hurt, let's see what happens" attitude and bid just slightly above the minimum, yet still considered in the "weak" category.  Also, given the cost of the balconies and suites my bids would be considered pretty nice deals (for me), and probably not worth accepting for RC.

 

As of today, all of the balconies and suites for my cruise are showing "sold out."  They have been for a little while, so I'm not sure if that really means anything.   I've gone on other cruise booking sites and have seen that a few cabins in these categories are still available. 

 

I am expecting to receive the rejection email from RC any day now and will be absolutely fine with that.  However,  if either of my bids are accepted I'll be thrilled!  I'll come back here to let you know what happens on Saturday which will be the 48 hour mark.

 

Stay tuned!

 

Any news yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 4 days out and no word.  I offered a "strong" offer on a grand suite.  I doubt I will have success since it is sold out cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the May 18 sailing of Anthem and just received a RoyalUp email. Wife and I decided to place bids on the Jr Suite (which we originally passed up as it was $1000 more than our Oceanview Balcony) and a Spacious Oceanview Balcony. Can’t find much information on the Spacious Oceanview Balcony - from the photo RCL attached to the Royalup email it looks like a larger room than a standard balcony room which would be nice. Hoping for the Jr Suite but wouldn’t be too bummed if we didn’t get it. But it’s fun throwing out a bid and seeing what happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replying to my last post since I can no longer edit it- after some further research it looks like those “Spacious Oceanview Balcony” rooms could either be accessible rooms (which seem to be very limited in number) or a larger balcony. Hmmm think we’ll have to cancel that bid. Don’t even want to risk getting a smaller room lol. All in on the JS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CasinoCruzGirl said:

Any news yet?

Update today: No news yet.  Still waiting with bated breath three days away from sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrCruzdoggie said:

Do you get a notice from RoyalUp if you book in a Guaranteed Stateroom?  thanks

Yes you can be invited to bid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CasinoCruzGirl said:

Yes you can be invited to bid

When would that usually come?  Had never heard of the "bidding" before reading about it here!  Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bayportkat said:

When would that usually come?  Had never heard of the "bidding" before reading about it here!  Thanks 

We got ours maybe 60 days before cruise then again 2 more times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone on our May 26th cruise on Allure just got her upgrade email this morning so 16 days out. She went from ocean view on deck 3 to deck 12 balcony. We haven’t heard anything yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CasinoCruzGirl said:

Someone on our May 26th cruise on Allure just got her upgrade email this morning so 16 days out. She went from ocean view on deck 3 to deck 12 balcony. We haven’t heard anything yet

I am 7 days out on Enchantment . No email yet......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2019 at 12:09 PM, stallvr4 said:

I am on Harmony June 16 sailing. Currently have a JS which we liked last time, but we decided to make offers on all 4 upgrades we were offered to bid on. 1 bed ATS, OS, CLS, and GS. This cruise must be near capacity because the min offer amounts to bid are extremely high. Minimum bids are $1100 1 bed ATS, $800 OS and CLS, $500 GS. I bid on them all but not a ton over the min (couple hundred over). Wondering if that will get me one of them! Would like to move to sky class since I am currently in sea class. 

Interesting as we are on the same cruise and also got a "Royal Up!" invite but did not get the ATS or CS options..AT ALL.

The three of us are currently in a 12th floor 6D Ocean View Balcony that we are fine with.  Our upgrade choices are OS with a starting price of $1,100, a GS starting $700, a Junior Suite starting @ $300 or an "Ultra Spacious Large Balcony" starting at $200 & Spacious Ocean View Balcony starting @ $150/each.

What is an "ULTRA" Spacious Large Balcony?  I don't even see anything with that description listed?  I do see Ultra Spacious OCEAN VIEW rooms but not the same with a balcony.

We have zero interest in the JS as it's just not significantly different (to us).  We were fortunate enough to get a GS on our last cruise when we booked last minute into a Suite Guarantee room.  It was OK but not a big deal.  I had thought about going for the Owners Suite as that would be pretty cool but for an extra $2,200...nah!  Just odd that we don't have ATS or CS options but I guess it's all part of their plan, right? 

Edited by ndabunka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ndabunka said:

Interesting as we are on the same cruise and also got a "Royal Up!" invite but did not get the ATS or CS options..AT ALL.

The three of us are currently in a 12th floor 6D Ocean View Balcony that we are fine with.  Our upgrade choices are OS with a starting price of $1,100, a GS starting $700, a Junior Suite starting @ $300 or an "Ultra Spacious Large Balcony" starting at $200 & Spacious Ocean View Balcony starting @ $150/each.

What is an "ULTRA" Spacious Large Balcony?  I don't even see anything with that description listed?  I do see Ultra Spacious OCEAN VIEW rooms but not the same with a balcony.

We have zero interest in the JS as it's just not significantly different (to us).  We were fortunate enough to get a GS on our last cruise when we booked last minute into a Suite Guarantee room.  It was OK but not a big deal.  I had thought about going for the Owners Suite as that would be pretty cool but for an extra $2,200...nah!  Just odd that we don't have ATS or CS options but I guess it's all part of their plan, right? 

It seems that they limit the upgrade category options based on your present category.  The person above  is already in a JS.  We were in a balcony as well and only got options up to an OS.  We upgraded ourselves to a JS and then received another offer up to a Aqua Theater suite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, molly361 said:

It seems that they limit the upgrade category options based on your present category.  The person above  is already in a JS.  We were in a balcony as well and only got options up to an OS.  We upgraded ourselves to a JS and then received another offer up to a Aqua Theater suite

Agreed.  What was your cost to upgrade to the JS & what was the minimum they would have wanted for the Aqua Theater?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ndabunka said:

What is an "ULTRA" Spacious Large Balcony?  I don't even see anything with that description listed?  I do see Ultra Spacious OCEAN VIEW rooms but not the same with a balcony.

The Ultra Spacious Large Balcony cabins, formerly referred to as Family Balcony Cabins, are Category 1A.  The rooms are similar in size to Junior Suites but have bunk beds in place of the walk-in closet and a standard bathroom.  If you are lucky enough to get the ones on Deck 7, they also include an enormous balcony.  Beware the "Spacious" balcony upgrade category, as these only include a slightly larger balcony and no additional interior space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, timf2001 said:

The Ultra Spacious Large Balcony cabins, formerly referred to as Family Balcony Cabins, are Category 1A.  The rooms are similar in size to Junior Suites but have bunk beds in place of the walk-in closet and a standard bathroom.  If you are lucky enough to get the ones on Deck 7, they also include an enormous balcony.  Beware the "Spacious" balcony upgrade category, as these only include a slightly larger balcony and no additional interior space.

OK

Edited by ndabunka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  came across this thread a couple weeks ago or so, and went to the website to “opt in” for emails from RCI. Within 24 hours I received a Royal Up email offer. We are leaving on our cruise at the end of this very month btw. We were booked originally for a Junior Suite, and I noticed that our cruise was no longer listed on the RCI website - and “unavailable” for booking on other websites which I assume means it had been sold out. Nevertheless, we decided to try an offer for a Grand Suite that was just $10 over the minimum bid and I decided to just forget about it and told myself it most likely wouldn’t be possible but it was kind of fun to try. 

 

Less than 24 hours after placing the bid I got an email that it was accepted. 🤷🏻‍♀️  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ndabunka said:

Agreed.  What was your cost to upgrade to the JS & what was the minimum they would have wanted for the Aqua Theater?

When we were in a OV balcony the cost to upgrade to a JS was $150 pp (we self upgraded for around $180 total for 2)  The OS upgrade (highest category offered)  when we were in a balcony was $550 min pp.

 

Once in a JS the upgrade minimum to a CL was $400 pp and to an Aqua Theater $550 pp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JHDub said:

I  came across this thread a couple weeks ago or so, and went to the website to “opt in” for emails from RCI. Within 24 hours I received a Royal Up email offer. We are leaving on our cruise at the end of this very month btw. We were booked originally for a Junior Suite, and I noticed that our cruise was no longer listed on the RCI website - and “unavailable” for booking on other websites which I assume means it had been sold out. Nevertheless, we decided to try an offer for a Grand Suite that was just $10 over the minimum bid and I decided to just forget about it and told myself it most likely wouldn’t be possible but it was kind of fun to try. 

 

Less than 24 hours after placing the bid I got an email that it was accepted. 🤷🏻‍♀️  

Congrats. What ship are you on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 10:21 AM, Host Clarea said:

 

They way I understand it, travel agencies can hold group space, but I do not believe they hold specific staterooms, just an allocation.

Bob, group space is also recalled by Royal 4 months prior to sail date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...