RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

I didn't read through all 93 pages, but are any of those who get their bids accepted originally booked through a travel agent?  I'm just curious if it somehow has any effect on their commissions (them getting anything more based on amount bid), an therefore most "wins" possibly go to those who book directly.

9 minutes ago, robyn206 said:

I didn't read through all 93 pages, but are any of those who get their bids accepted originally booked through a travel agent?  I'm just curious if it somehow has any effect on their commissions (them getting anything more based on amount bid), an therefore most "wins" possibly go to those who book directly.

Being booked with a travel agent does not matter for the purposes of being selected or having a bid accepted for the RoyalUp program. 

Thanks for a response.  I was thinking if this is all about making the most money, and Royal has to give a cut to the agent, then they might possibly overlook those that didn't book with them directly, thus giving them the most extra dollars.  Or, is it a case that the agent gets nothing extra.

2 minutes ago, robyn206 said:

Thanks for a response.  I was thinking if this is all about making the most money, and Royal has to give a cut to the agent, then they might possibly overlook those that didn't book with them directly, thus giving them the most extra dollars.  Or, is it a case that the agent gets nothing extra.

My guess is that the agent's commission goes up if you pay more.

I have been fighting the URL for checking to see if you can upgrade for days: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/cruise-room-upgrade

I finally called in to report the incorrect error message (must be within 30 days, and I am), and was told firmly the upgrade bid option is only available if you received an email.

Very annoying, as the FAQ question gives that page, too.  Yay, RCI IT...

27 minutes ago, LadyShiva said:

I have been fighting the URL for checking to see if you can upgrade for days: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/cruise-room-upgrade

I finally called in to report the incorrect error message (must be within 30 days, and I am), and was told firmly the upgrade bid option is only available if you received an email.

Very annoying, as the FAQ question gives that page, too.  Yay, RCI IT...

That is correct as far as I know.  I got invited to bid but my husband did not.  I entered his last name in that link (his is different from mine) and got the error message that it must be within 30 days.  If I entered my name it would let me bid.  

This was awhile ago.  I just tried now and it looks like that link is no longer working at all for me

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

My guess is that the agent's commission goes up if you pay more.

We paid $900 total for our UP.  Our TA is sending us a check for $75, so I think they got a cut

1 hour ago, panzafit said:

The status on the room I put in a bid on use to say "pending" now it says "received".  Is that normal?

That may be a new thing - all the reporting and my experience is that it used to say "pending" till it was accepted or denied on the last day.

Still no word on my bid yet for the May 18 Anthem sailing. I guess now May 19 with this medical emergency. Will they push the reject/accept email back to tomorrow with the change in our cruise date?

20 minutes ago, dslucas said:

Still no word on my bid yet for the May 18 Anthem sailing. I guess now May 19 with this medical emergency. Will they push the reject/accept email back to tomorrow with the change in our cruise date?

No, you'll get the denial e-mail tonight around 7PM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dslucas said:

You may be in luck there might be cancellations because of the delay

• Like 1

22 hours ago, panzafit said:

The status on the room I put in a bid on use to say "pending" now it says "received".  Is that normal?  I would think if it was accepted the status would be "accepted".

They can't use the term "accepted" in this manner for this purpose.  To do so would indicate that they "accepted" your bid and you got the cabin.  Using the word "received" is FAR MORE accurate as they are telling you that they did "receive" your request but they have not (yet) "accepted" your offer.

On 5/17/2019 at 8:43 AM, robyn206 said:

It does not matter.  My reservations are always booked through an agent.  Both my mom and I both had our bids accepted.  yes, the TA gets a bump in commission.  The same percentage as their regular commission.

• Thanks 1

Ohh exciting as always....received my Royal Up email today for Anthem 8/1 sailing.  Bid has been put in....as always...since there is only one room I could upgrade too....chances seem slim I'll get one.   But it's always fun to try!

• Like 1

I also wanted to point out that a few days after we received the Royal Up offer emails, the cruise showed as sold out for all categories despite the fact that the day of the Royal Up emails there was a lot of availability across categories.  It stayed that way until we received our upgrade confirmation email.  So a cruise showing "sold out" or no availability etc mean nothing in the grand scheme.

• Thanks 1

We are sailing Monday the 27th. I have 3 rooms booked... all next to each other, and one connecting. We all received offers to bid. I decided to do my room as I have the grandkids with me and it would be a “better deal” since you don’t pay for 3rd and 4th. My son and husband in the other two cabins. 

With over 400 nights with RCL, I can count on one hand the free upgrades.  So, I sort of liked this new program. With that said, I wish they would do it like Princess. When you get an upsell offer, you place the call to Princess and they return it. I have been able to research available cabins and when they call and say you have it, they work with you in selecting a cabin which is very nice. I was on a back to back one cruise when I received the offer and I told them that we really wanted the upsell, but only if it included the other sailing.  They accommodated that as well with a very fair price.  I wish RCL could do this program without having you wait til the day of or day before your cruise, and talk to you.... I might have upgraded all 3 cabins.

well just my thoughts.  Good luck to those still waiting.

P.s. I should say my husband and son are still getting upgrade offers while the cruise appears to be sold out.

Edited by mediator
Added the p.s.

8 minutes ago, mediator said:

With that said, I wish they would do it like Princess. When you get an upsell offer, you place the call to Princess and they return it.

I think the point of Royal Up was to fire the upsell fairy - it's probably expensive to keep staff for something which can sorta be accomplished with technology.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1