Cruise Critic Community
Hambagahle

Registration for Culinary Classes

I am a slow with the knife due to lack of skill and RA damaged hands.  How much cutting is done in a class?  I’m thinking I should not attend due to my speed or is the class different than I’m thinking?

1 hour ago, rcandkc said:

I am a slow with the knife due to lack of skill and RA damaged hands.  How much cutting is done in a class?  I’m thinking I should not attend due to my speed or is the class different than I’m thinking?

The food is prepped in advance of your class and is put in small containers.  There could be a tiny bit of cutting but there wasn't in our last class.  I don't even cook but could keep up with what was going on.  We took the fish class and it was mostly sautéing, frying and poaching.  Think that you would enjoy it!

Having seen this post this morning, I went in to the culinary classes for our upcoming from Italy with love cruise on the explorer. I have signed up for the Mediterranean melody class. Must have grabbed one of the last spaces as I’ve just gone back in and it’s now full

3 hours ago, rcandkc said:

You'll have no problems at all, besides if someone has any problem with anything someone is on the spot to help.  Everyone takes their time, no hurry at all.

Thank you TC and Ronrick for replying.  With this information I feel much more comfortable to sign up.  I didn’t want to be the person that shouldn’t have signed up for an excursion and was holding back the other passengers. 

rcandkc--thanks very much for posting your question. I also do not have great skills and only signed up because my partner is really interested.  was also somewhat called out once in a cooking class (not on a cruise) and it wasn't a great feeling. 

Now I'm looking forward to the class on Explorer.

22 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

I took a couple of the cooking classes on an Explorer crossing. Yes, you eat what you cook (and sometimes what the instructor cooks). I found I skipped the regular meal (lunch in one case, dinner in the other) on those days.

One pointer on selecting a cooking class: consider whether it is cuisine-oriented or skills-oriented. Cuisine-oriented, offered with titles like "Mediterranean Cooking," concentrate on recipes from the area and provide little by way of new skills. But they're fun. Skills-oriented, offered with titles like "Gone Fishing," concentrate on teaching techniques. I learn a lot from those. And they're also fun.

Alas, Regent did not offer a "knife skills" class, at least on the my sailing. And they provide most of the ingredients pre-cut and pre-measured.  Prior to the cruise, I had taken a 5-part cooking skills class on land. The first session was 2 hours devoted to knife skills. The most useful cooking class ever. It would be great if Regent offered that, but I can see why more than a dozen people wielding sharp knives on a moving ship may not be the best idea in the world.

Totally agree - knife skills are essential and best learnt from a professional.   Regarding the more "technical" classes like the "Gone Fishing" - I signed up for a similar one on Oceania and was really upset when the teacher taught various fish recipes and not, as promised in the course description, how to choose and prep fish and the various techniques of cooking.   However this teacher is one I had had on a previous cruise and did not like at all and I saw her name pop up on an Explorer cruise.   I plan to avoid her if I can!