Split or Kotor

tromvest

We are deciding between 2 cruises on the Constellation. The only difference between the two is that one stops in Split and the other in Kotor.  We have been to Kotor before, but my son who will be joining us has not been to Kotor.  For people who have been to both Split and Kotor, which port do you prefer?

Gosh that’s a hard one.  At a push I would say Kotor, purely for the beautiful sail in along the fjord like mountains.  Plus there are a host of trips you can go on if you want to go further afield.  If you want a tour check out Mladen Tours, we had a great day with him.  We went up into the mountains and to one of the costal resorts too.  My friend used him twice on her cruise and one of her tours involved a speedboat trip.

Have been to both and I would definitely say Kotor.  Not anything wrong with Split, but as mentioned the sail thru the fjords into Kotor and the walled old city is magnificent.  The scenery is amazing.   

Kotor.jpg

Edited by blueboro
Add photo

I would decide by investigating whether Kotor is a tender port.

Split was in 2010 and it took us 3 hours to get off the ship.

We were told not to go for our tender tickets until ready to leave. I think most people in the know went to collect theirs before they had breakfast.

I had a word with the CD and was told we should have booked a ships tour, as they are taken off first. Since then we have become Elite, so it is no longer so much of a problem.

I don't think the following will be a determining factor, but ... if you choose the Split itinerary,  your ship will not leave the European Union, which means that all onboard purchases will be subject to VAT surcharges.  But on an itinerary visiting Kotor, Montenegro, you will be leaving the EU, and no VAT is charged. 

Aside from that, I would still recommend Kotor.