Mandatory Tipping ant

marymorn513

What is the current thinking on the mandatory tip add on most lines use?  How do we know our waiter or stateroom attendant 

ever saw their share?  How difficult is it to tell Guest Services to remove the add on and return to individual envelopes? I have 

very mixed feelings on this and wonder why we should be paying wages when the cruise lines are making money hand over fist.

31 minutes ago, marymorn513 said:

What is the current thinking on the mandatory tip add on most lines use?  How do we know our waiter or stateroom attendant 

ever saw their share?  How difficult is it to tell Guest Services to remove the add on and return to individual envelopes? I have 

very mixed feelings on this and wonder why we should be paying wages when the cruise lines are making money hand over fist.

If you can't trust the cruise line to properly distribute the gratuities as they promise, how can you trust that they can run the rest of the ship safely, efficiently, and do the other things that they promise to do, such as get you to the right ports, feed you food that isn't spoiled, and clean your room effectively? I just don't get these conspiracy ideas that they will some how steal the money from the crews they depend on to keep their customers happy. If the crews are ripped off by the cruise line, don't you think that the crew would provide poorer service and lose the company customers? Makes no sense at all your fear that the crew won't get their share. 

• Like 4

How about reading one of the 9,999 tipping threads that already exist,? Many of them less than a year old. Then if you have anything new to add to the topic, come back and offer up your comments.

I'm a bit confused by the title of the thread. Are you talking about making tipping mandatory for all ants? Or making tipping mandatory TO all ants?

Edited by mom says
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

If you can't trust the cruise line to properly distribute the gratuities as they promise, how can you trust that they can run the rest of the ship safely, efficiently, and do the other things that they promise to do, such as get you to the right ports, feed you food that isn't spoiled, and clean your room effectively? I just don't get these conspiracy ideas that they will some how steal the money from the crews they depend on to keep their customers happy. If the crews are ripped off by the cruise line, don't you think that the crew would provide poorer service and lose the company customers? Makes no sense at all your fear that the crew won't get their share. 

Not thinking conspiracy but questioning if the people actually doing the real work are seeing the “appreciation “ we provide through mandatory fees.  In reality I for one would prefer to return to the idea of tipping for superior service 

and not be forced to kick in to some communal pot.

Do you honestly believe that the crew would keep coming back contract after contract if they weren't paid what they were promised. As said above, you are going to pay one way or another and don't be surprised that if the gratuity is rolled into the base fare it will be more per day than it is now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marymorn513 said:

Not thinking conspiracy but questioning if the people actually doing the real work are seeing the “appreciation “ we provide through mandatory fees.  In reality I for one would prefer to return to the idea of tipping for superior service 

and not be forced to kick in to some communal pot.

Are you aware that in restaurants the waiters have to give part of their tips to the bus boy, the hostess and sometimes people in the kitchen?? I'd call that a communal pot.

While I’m certainly not proficient with computers, I did look for posts on tipping and found nothing.  As for the crew returning year after year, it’s likely because they know no other life or routine and what they do earn  is probably more than what would be earned in their home country.  I do realize we will all pay in the end one way or another but it seems we are be compelled to “tip” in more and more venues everyday.

4 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Are you aware that in restaurants the waiters have to give part of their tips to the bus boy, the hostess and sometimes people in the kitchen?? I'd call that a communal pot.

My special needs daughter has worked at TGIF for over ten years helping prepare meals as well as running food to tables and helping wherever she can.  She seldom sees any tip money and perhaps the diners should be required to pony up a few dollars before being seated.

Just now, marymorn513 said:

My special needs daughter has worked at TGIF for over ten years helping prepare meals as well as running food to tables and helping wherever she can.  She seldom sees any tip money and perhaps the diners should be required to pony up a few dollars before being seated.

Exactly my point.

2 minutes ago, marymorn513 said:

maybe  she  needs to have a word with her manager then

8 minutes ago, marymorn513 said:

Seriously Pyrate13?  Would you frequent any restaurant asking for a tip before you even sat down?

most  cruise lines  do not charge you upfront  for the Gratuities  but just make you aware  that they will be added to your account

Some lines will give you the option of paying upfront  but it is not mandatory unless it is  called  a DSC

Some restaurants  will warn groups  that they will have  the gratuity added  to the bill  so very similar to cruises

also  watch the  resort fees added to hotels  some are not really resorts   ..this is  a new way to get  extra $$  IMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marymorn513 said:

How would you manage to get the envelopes to all the wait staff in the Buffet or to behind the scenes housekeeping, or to the waiters serving lunch in the MDR.  I wish the cruise lines would just charge a mandatory service charge and be done with it. Maybe even like Las Vegas where every hotel charges a mandatory resort fee. 

There is no need to add additional tip, unless you want to.  Tips on drinks are added at 18%...that seems more than enough unless you're getting table service.

The daily tips added to your account cover the cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiter.   Give more on your last night if you feel the need to....otherwise, you've done your duty.

Australian travellers find tipping very confusing and confronting.  We only tip here for exceptional service, there is no expectation.  A few years ago cruises leaving from Australian ports removed all tipping.  Yes the cost of thecruise went up slightly to compensate.  Now there is no angst regarding taking tips off, tipping on last day, how much to give etc, it’s all taken care of.  

Personally when cruising overseas I just leave tips on and deal with it.  It is not a big issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

How would you manage to get the envelopes to all the wait staff in the Buffet or to behind the scenes housekeeping, or to the waiters serving lunch in the MDR.  I wish the cruise lines would just charge a mandatory service charge and be done with it. Maybe even like Las Vegas where every hotel charges a mandatory resort fee. 

How did they get the envelopes there, prior to auto tips.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gwendy said:

Australian travellers find tipping very confusing and confronting.  We only tip here for exceptional service, there is no expectation.  A few years ago cruises leaving from Australian ports removed all tipping.  Yes the cost of thecruise went up slightly to compensate.  Now there is no angst regarding taking tips off, tipping on last day, how much to give etc, it’s all taken care of.  

Personally when cruising overseas I just leave tips on and deal with it.  It is not a big issue.

I pretty much do the same, but have even been known to kick in a bit more to someone who gives really great service insome way, try to make note of them in feedback, and have even hunted out managers to let them know how good someone might be.

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

We don’t go to the Buffet as it’s a madhouse and never use the MDR.  We frequent a separate dining room and have the same waiter nightly.  I would simply hand him an envelope at the last meal to show my appreciation and do the same for the room steward.  Increase fares and pay a decent wage if you must avoid cutting into profits but  make tipping what it originally was........an extra reward for good service.

1 hour ago, Gwendy said:

I don't find your argument that "Australian travelers find tipping very confusing and confronting" to be a valid excuse. Don't Australians research their holidays before they take them? Don't the bother to try to understand the cultural differences of where they are travelling to? Are they that incapable of checking out what might be different? As an American, I look up any place I visit - including cruise lines - and learn about local customs, currency, language, etc., so I won't be "confused and confounded" when I get there. Doing so makes my vacations much less stressful as surprises are kept to a minimum.

I would consider that to be basic things any smart traveler should be doing. 

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

I don't find your argument that "Australian travelers find tipping very confusing and confronting" to be a valid excuse. Don't Australians research their holidays before they take them? Don't the bother to try to understand the cultural differences of where they are travelling to? Are they that incapable of checking out what might be different? As an American, I look up any place I visit - including cruise lines - and learn about local customs, currency, language, etc., so I won't be "confused and confounded" when I get there. Doing so makes my vacations much less stressful as surprises are kept to a minimum.

I would consider that to be basic things any smart traveler should be doing. 

And yet every day another American starts a tipping thread, funny that isn’t it. And time and again I see Americans tipping in Australia, guess they don’t research either

• Like 3
  • Haha 1