Seems like the convertible sofa beds are really trundles!

alj1208

Hi all,

We are booked on the Edge for a Mediterranean cruise this summer. The deck plan symbols show sofa beds, but it appears the sofa bed is actually a trundle, according to the cabin photos that have been in the news recently. A celebrity rep confirmed my suspicions by phone. Our son, Age 12,  is really tall (5' 8" already), and I would not have booked this stateroom (Infinity Veranda) if I had know that he would be sleeping in a drawer! I will add that this is a relatively expensive cruise, and I would not expect to have been sold a drawer for that kind of money.

Looks like all the connecting rooms are gone. I think Celebrity should have disclosed this before we booked, and I feel their language is misleading and even deceptive. The official cabin photos on the Celebrity website say (in hidden fine print) "some staterooms may have a trundle bed," whereas the deck plans (which is what I used to pick an individual cabin) say "convertible sofa bed."  

We have already bought the expensive separate plane tickets which are non-refundable. Any advice? Does Celebrity offer any alternatives like a mattress on the floor or moving a real sofa bed into the cabin?

If you hit customer service with the attitude about "misleading and even deceptive," they are likely to write you off as a lost cause.  Based on my experience as a customer-service provider and manager, I suggest you make sure you are calm and stick to the facts – and remember that the person you are talking to didn't write the marketing materials or make the rules.

• Like 3

Thanks, Jazz. I appreciate the feedback. Since you have experience in customer service, what do you suggest? I am also looking for advice from other passengers who may have encountered this. I am willing to pay more for connecting rooms and would have done so had this been made clear. The connecting rooms are now gone. We cruised recently on HAL, and a sofa bed was indeed a sofa bed and of reasonable size.

4 minutes ago, alj1208 said:

Thanks, Jazz. I appreciate the feedback. Since you have experience in customer service, what do you suggest? I am also looking for advice from other passengers who may have encountered this. I am willing to pay more for connecting rooms and would have done so had this been made clear. The connecting rooms are now gone. We cruised recently on HAL, and a sofa bed was indeed a sofa bed and of reasonable size.

I personally would try to see visually what one of those trundle beds looked like before trying to change my whole reservation. Perhaps someone who is onboard now or soon will be in a room with one and can post photos or a video. I’ll be onboard on 12/9 and my cabin is supposed to have a sofa bed. If it turns out to be a trundle I could certainly share photos and video for you to see.

I am sorry, I don't understand the issue... having slept for years when visiting my parents... on a sofa bed.... it was not comfortable... thin mattress on a wire frame. Seems the trundle usually pulls out and up... so mattress should be more like a regular one. I don't know how theirs work...but I have seen some that when you pull them out they go up to make a queen... you sleep length wise. I would ask someone to take a photo of one fully opened and to get a measurement on the length of the sofa.. to see if it is too short. Adults often share cabins, so I would think they would have beds sufficient for an adult. Don't panic yet

Okay now this drives me crazy. This question of sofabed vs trundle bed has been asked and answered... but the answer is so unbelievable I had to post. Separately I am trying to get an answer on Celebrity's facebook page. Of course I asked a different question several weeks ago and am still waiting for an answer to that so no promises....  http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/EDGE/17055853_CEL_Edge_FAQs.pdf

2 hours ago, alj1208 said:

Does Celebrity offer any alternatives like a mattress on the floor or moving a real sofa bed into the cabin?

Ok, so if it is a trundle bed, it has to have a mattress.  You stated one of your alternatives would be a mattress on the floor.  Take the mattress out of the trundle, and put it on the floor if the trundle frame is too short for your son.  At least he won't have his head and feet against the wooden ends of the frame that way.  I know it is not a perfect answer for you, but do you think that would work for him?

42 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Ok, so if it is a trundle bed, it has to have a mattress.  You stated one of your alternatives would be a mattress on the floor.  Take the mattress out of the trundle, and put it on the floor if the trundle frame is too short for your son.  At least he won't have his head and feet against the wooden ends of the frame that way.  I know it is not a perfect answer for you, but do you think that would work for him?

The couch/ lounger  itself looks comfy enough in the photos I have seen..not sure  of the length but if it has a pull out, it'd be twin day bed length????  

Hope it works out for you..

I appreciate the useful ideas and comments. I guess what I am most troubled by is that Celebrity should be clear at booking, which is what they promise in the FAQ. Had they been clear, I would have booked adjoining cabins, and one of us would have shared a room with our son. We can make due, as you all have suggested, but for the money we are spending, I feel let down. The bottom line is, none of us on this thread have been able to figure out for sure what the third bed actually is, and that’s not okay IMHO. 

The bed will be plenty long 🙄.

I don't really get why one would prefer sofabed over a trundle. Sofabed is a back support nightmare requiring a sad mattress. At least trundle allows for a real mattress that supports.

• Like 4

82A4FF11-5571-4DA1-8895-4D2798A7965C.thumb.jpeg.1630a1a65b91f45884c17d9185cbcb98.jpegThey have same setup on Solstice class ships (and I think also refer to the configuration as a convertible sofa). Being only your son they could make the sofa itself into a bed and not use the lower trundle. 

We have had 2 children with us in the cabin, one was on the sofa the other in the pull out trundle. Both agreeed the sofa was more comfortable than the trundle, which has a pretty thin mattress. 

Edited by QE2_Fan
  • Thanks 1

Update on my original concerns about trundle beds:  

I talked to Celebrity and my travel agent.

It appears there is a conflict between the deck plans on the Celebrity website and the deck plans in the Edge brochure. On the website, the triangle symbol = upper berth, but in the brochure, the triangle symbol = "single sofa bed." The cabins with the square symbols are described as quads with double sofa beds. In fact, those quads have trundles (one person in the drawer, and one on the couch).   Could this be a case of the web content writers mistakenly assuming a triangle means upper berth as with other Celebrity ships?

On that basis, I elected to change our cabin to a triple (with triangle symbol), Celebrity's rep stating that this is a single sofa bed, not a trundle and NOT a pullman/upper berth. 

The new cabin number is 8205. I am sure folks have more fun things to do on the maiden voyage than look into this, but I sure would be curious if anyone has any information that would clarify. In cabins with the triangle symbol, what exactly does the third person sleep on?  Are there any pullmans/upper berths on the Edge? Are all the quads trundle situations?

• 1 year later...

We recently had a cabin for 3 on the solstice. The cabin attendant took the mattress out of the trundle and placed this on top of the sofa.  My son is 6 foot, didn’t have his feet sticking over the edge of the bed and said it was reasonably comfortable.

Hopefully it will be a similar set up for you.

Happy sailing.