Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Roatanfans

USA Today about Celebrity Edge new glass wall balcony cabins

http://a.msn.com/03/en-us/BBQ9V13?ocid=se

USA Today video shows Celebrity Edge with Infinity cabins with a glass wall that opens up turning into a balcony but making the cabins up to 23% larger.  This looks like an amazing idea and I hope this is the future of cruise ships and that Princess starts doing this as well!

That Infinite Veranda has been used successfully on river cruise ships for a few years.  Looks exactly like what Celebrity is going with.

Very innovative!

Just cut and paste the link.

Edited by crawford

Wow, it looks great.  My TA is sailing on her tomorrow I believe.  I hope she gets a look at that stateroom.  I bet it costs a fortune, but I want one too!

That does look amazing!!  My TA is sailing on her today!  ha!  I can't wait to hear what she says about it.  I too suspect it will be expensive, but I may consider saving up for one!!  🙂 

For what it's worth, I watched sailaway on the FLL webcams on Sunday and thought it looked very awkward in profile.  In fact I though nearly ugliest ship I have seen but it has some interesting looking aspects like the nearly all glass back of the ship.  

This looks like a film that rolls up and down. Wonder how long that will last?  Also, the bi-fold doors may allow some whistling. Our large bi-fold on our house does not, but we do not get potential 60 knot winds we have had at time on a cruise. Can you open the bi-folds and leave the film in high winds? Also, no sitting out in the sun as the balcony is part of the room and covered.

Someone asked about AC. On many newer ships the AC turns off when the balcony door is open.

55 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

This looks like a film that rolls up and down. Wonder how long that will last?  Also, the bi-fold doors may allow some whistling. Our large bi-fold on our house does not, but we do not get potential 60 knot winds we have had at time on a cruise. Can you open the bi-folds and leave the film in high winds? Also, no sitting out in the sun as the balcony is part of the room and covered.

Someone asked about AC. On many newer ships the AC turns off when the balcony door is open.

There's a thread on the Celebrity forum complaining about these balconies.  That is not a "film", but a glass window that slides down into the glass balcony "railing".

As for the AC, the original artist sketches showed both the glass window and the bifold doors open, but I doubt this would be allowed.  You either have the bifolds closed, and the window down, and have a typical balcony (glass railing), but with a full wall of glass between the cabin and the balcony.  Or, you close the window and open the bifolds, and your cabin, with AC, extends to the side of the ship.

On the ships that shut off the AC when the balcony door is opened, as I've stated on many threads about balcony doors, this only shuts off one of the two AC systems in your cabin.  One system merely recirculates air in your cabin over a cooling coil and back to the cabin, and this is the system controlled by the thermostat, and also by the balcony door switch.  The second system is the fresh air supply system, which makes up for the air exhausted by the bathroom exhaust fan, and introduces fresh air into the cabin at all times.  This system supplies fresh air to a whole bank of cabins (typically all the cabins on one or two decks, inside a given fire zone, maybe 30-50 cabins), and is not controlled by the balcony door switch.  When a balcony door is left open, this unbalances the airflow from this system, sending more air to the cabin with the door open (trying to build up the slight pressure needed in the cabin to keep smoke from entering from the passageway), and less to all the other cabins in the block.  This makes these cabins warmer.

From what I understand, P&O's new ship, IONA, will have basically the same feature...

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

There's a thread on the Celebrity forum complaining about these balconies.  That is not a "film", but a glass window that slides down into the glass balcony "railing".

As for the AC, the original artist sketches showed both the glass window and the bifold doors open, but I doubt this would be allowed.  You either have the bifolds closed, and the window down, and have a typical balcony (glass railing), but with a full wall of glass between the cabin and the balcony.  Or, you close the window and open the bifolds, and your cabin, with AC, extends to the side of the ship.

On the ships that shut off the AC when the balcony door is opened, as I've stated on many threads about balcony doors, this only shuts off one of the two AC systems in your cabin.  One system merely recirculates air in your cabin over a cooling coil and back to the cabin, and this is the system controlled by the thermostat, and also by the balcony door switch.  The second system is the fresh air supply system, which makes up for the air exhausted by the bathroom exhaust fan, and introduces fresh air into the cabin at all times.  This system supplies fresh air to a whole bank of cabins (typically all the cabins on one or two decks, inside a given fire zone, maybe 30-50 cabins), and is not controlled by the balcony door switch.  When a balcony door is left open, this unbalances the airflow from this system, sending more air to the cabin with the door open (trying to build up the slight pressure needed in the cabin to keep smoke from entering from the passageway), and less to all the other cabins in the block.  This makes these cabins warmer.

Went back and looked closer, you are right.