Cruise Critic Community
ronbe65

Celebrity Edge Reviews: GottaKnowWhen, you are a Genius!

Having watched latest video tours of Celebrity Edge, I have to go back to an amazing post by GottaKnowWhen.

A year ago GottaKnowWhen managed to post the shortest and best formulated review of the Celebrity Edge.

In one sentence: "Glitzy wow features that will add nothing to the cruising experience."

After watching various video tours, I am saying: I take off my hat to you GottaKnowWhen. You have covered the whole concept in a single sentence.

A small addition to that..

Celebrity Edge vs Solstice-class and other cruise ships

There is a long  list of misses, but I will focus on a much shorter list of hits.

#1 A real swimming pool - first seen on a TUI ship in 2013.

#2 The "Eden concept" - also sourced from the same TUI ship. However it was better implemented on the Mein Schiff.

Don't miss a very good Celebrity Edge cabin tour on Youtube.

Another video is (probably the most) informative Celebrity Edge ship tour so far. But note that this is a ship tour, not a review, and it's done by an invited guest, not a paying passenger.

There are more reports and reviews to come.

Please keep in mind that we have to pay attention to where the reviews come from.

There will be three major groups:

1. The media people that did not pay for their cruises. This is by and large an extension to the advertising campaign.

2. Actual cruisers that cruised on "Celebrity Edge Suite Class".

3. And the major group of reviews (that usually appear after some time) from those who cruised on Celebrity Edge.

Happy cruising!

Thank you for your comments.

Taken under advisement, then again with a few reviews from 'passengers' to date, all is good in The Edge world.

There are a few, before ever boarding, that say it will not be enjoyable due to lack of chairs which do not recline in the cabins or pool deck..

One person, which I have read, is upset that there are no lavatories in or near the fitness center, yet there are, just not showing on the plans.

The price is too high. I may not be the demographic they seek. etc...

The grievance list goes on and on and on... which I understand and accept for those who have them.

I think someone who has disdain for The Edge need to start the Topic on the main board and after writing everything possible, which is or can be objectionable about The Edge, will feel better possibly after their airing.

Most of us interested in The Edge have been and will continue to read the reviews of our fellow CC members as theirs are the ones that count for us. We know external fluff when we read/see it. The reviews will either confirm or contradict what We already know.

Much appreciated though.

Waiting for The Apex to sail next...  bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

A good mix of information both favorable and unfavorable is what most of us seek. In most cases No one likes sugar coated cheerleading information. It’s not useful. 

Having seen plenty of new classes of ships come on line with multiple cruise lines, the details of this one are indeed being deeply and objectively evaluated. 

Thankfully! 

22 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

A good mix of information both favorable and unfavorable is what most of us seek. In most cases No one likes sugar coated cheerleading information. It’s not useful. 

------------------------------

Thankfully! 

This statement is an indisputable truth, as far as I Am concerned.

bon voyage

Some people will like the ship and some won't, just like every other cruise ship in existence. Such is life...

Celebrity Edge scores 2.5* after 17 reviews posted on CC.

Not a fair number yet.

I would give this ship 3*+.

I'm on the Edge right now, and the glitzy tech that does not add to the cruising experience actually doesn't work properly on Android, so it actually detracts from the cruising experience. What a frustrating experience. They sell Apple products on Deck Three, so i guess they really don't much care, and it shows.

6 minutes ago, Tom.Kitten said:

I'm on the Edge right now, and the glitzy tech that does not add to the cruising experience actually doesn't work properly on Android, so it actually detracts from the cruising experience. What a frustrating experience. They sell Apple products on Deck Three, so i guess they really don't much care, and it shows.

Have you spoken with the Tech Guys aboard or GS about this issue?

There have been reports from other passengers, aboard now, that there are several aspects of the App which are not working as expected.

bon voyage

1 hour ago, ronbe65 said:

Celebrity Edge scores 2.5* after 17 reviews posted on CC.

Not a fair number yet.

I would give this ship 3*+.

Agree not a fair evaluation yet.  It is based on a few short introductory cruises.  A lot of early growing pains.  There will be some ability to assess and make changes upcoming.  Let's see the ratings after 6 months of sailing regular 7-night itineraries.  I think that would be a fair evaluation period.

For all the money people have spent this is a silly comment TeeRick. The “glitches” sound like a totally poorly planned ship, and sad to think they are moving this way with all their new ships. 

6 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

I have to say if I were even  interested in this ship, the reviews say it all. Celebrity made a big mistake

Perhaps, however I like to craft my own opinion based on my own experiences.  Some opinions sound insightful others petty. The good news I am not buying the ship just going along for the ride for 7 days in April.  I'll give most things a try with an open mind.  TeeRick is correct from a sampling stand point, a rating at this point is useless.  Also Glitches happen on ALL new ships if I recall comments about them.  Good sailing to all.

I guess I wouldn’t like it as it is too big and too many people.  However there seem to be a lot of unhappy people.  Taking a week off and not enjoying, plus the cost..it should be a good experience. 

1 hour ago, alwaysonaship said:

I guess I wouldn’t like it as it is too big and too many people.  However there seem to be a lot of unhappy people.  Taking a week off and not enjoying, plus the cost..it should be a good experience. 

Keep in mind the current cruise is the first 7 day cruises.  Four have been 2 day marketing cruises and one a 3 day revenue cruise.  I was on a two day and will not be writing a review as it was too short a time to do a fair analysis.

Edited by Oville

22 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

For all the money people have spent this is a silly comment TeeRick. The “glitches” sound like a totally poorly planned ship, and sad to think they are moving this way with all their new ships. 

OK if that is your interpretation of the comments so far, from a few marketing cruises, then you would be not inclined to spend money for Edge since you have come to the conclusion that she is poorly planned.  That is your choice and there are other ships out there perhaps perfect for you.  I do wish you well in your sailings.  All I'm saying is that I'm sailing a regular 7 day Edge itinerary in January and I will decide for myself as well as wait a decent period of time and read all balanced reviews from actual passengers on Edge.   Then I will decide if Edge-Class is for me or not.

Like Oville, I have not put a review in the CC review section, since I don't believe that our 2 day experience on a cruise designed to impress TA's and media, that is only at around 60% capacity with all drinks included is a fair representation of what the experience will be like on a normal cruise.  I certainly will after our full week cruise next month in an IV cabin.  I do know from my brief experience on the Edge, that I do like the ship a lot; but certainly not everything about it.  If I were a suite cruiser, I believe that I would like the Edge even more.  

Regarding the Celebrity app.  I discussed it with a couple folks in iLounge, since some features weren't working for me.  They told me that an update would be coming shortly that would enable missing features.  I did get an update to the app a few days ago, so I am looking forward to playing with it when on board in a month.