Rotterdam question....

AliceS

A lanai is on the lower promenade deck and they have several in the middle of the ship that are really outside cabins in which they removed the window and replaced it with a sliding glass door.  There are also 2 reserved deck chairs right outside your cabin that are for your cabin only.  It's like having a balcony, but your balcony is the whole lower promenade deck.  

16 minutes ago, mammy123 said:

A lanai is on the lower promenade deck and they have several in the middle of the ship that are really outside cabins in which they removed the window and replaced it with a sliding glass door.  There are also 2 reserved deck chairs right outside your cabin that are for your cabin only.  It's like having a balcony, but your balcony is the whole lower promenade deck.  

Thank you....not sure that I would feel safe with this situation.  Who has been in one of these cabins?  Help.

We are going to try one.  From my understanding, you have 2 different room keys, one for the hall door and the other for the patio door.  Also people swear that no one can see in and at night you close your drapes.  It sounds a little intriguing to us and we are going to try it.  Will let you know how it turns out.  Of course they didn't make the room any larger, so that might be a downfall, but we will see.  

Happy cruising.  😎

We've had a lanai on both Volendam and Maasdam, and loved being able to walk out onto a real deck, not a verandah. The glass is mirrored and very difficult to see through during the day. I would recommend closing the drapes at night.

The cabin is cozy (some may say snug), but we enjoyed it a lot. The only downside was that the sofa was a small loveseat that really want designed for two.

You will have a second key card for the outside door. We found it took a fair amount of strength to open it.

Good luck, and enjoy!

DH and I spent 42 days in a Lanai  cabin on Rotterdam two years ago.  (ft. Lauderdale - the Med. - Ft. Lauderdale)  To say we loved it is an understatement!!!   We would book one in a heart beat!.  We liked it much better than our balcony cabin we had on a previous long 30 day cruise to Hawaii / Tahiti.  

• Like 1

Just be aware that your  "private" space is limited to the two deck chairs just outside your cabin. If people wish to put a chair next to your private chairs, they can do so.  If people wish to stand at the rail in front of your chairs during scenic cruising, they can do so.

If people want to have a very loud discussion on deck in front of your cabin at 3 AM, they can do so.

We were on the Rotterdam in March 2018.   We had cabin Lanai #3376.

There is a very heavy, sliding glass door going out to the Promenade Deck.  The glass is very thick which makes the door heavy.  It is held closed by a magnetic lock.  From the inside, you press a white button which releases the magnetic lock and you have a few seconds to slide the door open.  If you press the button to release the lock, and wait 5 or 10 seconds, it will re-lock.  From the outside, you are provided 2, unmarked proximity cards.  Just hold the prox card against the reader on the outside of your cabin and that will release the magnetic lock.   The doors are heavy, and, depending on the ship's motion,  the door may slide closed by itself.  So, if you run out of the cabin to check on a school of dolphins and forget your prox card or regular cabin key card, you better hope there is somebody in the cabin to open it for you.  

I was also concerned about being able to see in from outside.  I checked.  It is impossible to see in through the mirror-like coating on the window and door in the daytime.  All you see is yourself, just like a mirror.   I also checked it at night.  I turned on every cabin light there was and went outside.  Standing a few feet from the glass door, I couldn't see anything.  If I pressed my nose right on the glass, I could barely make out the glow of the ceiling lights.  If my DW was walking around in the cabin, I could see a shadow pass in front of a light, but nothing of any detail.   

So, you don't have to concern yourself about anyone peering through your Lanai cabin door.  But you most likely will still want to close your drapes, because the Promenade Deck is brightly lit all night, and the light shines into the cabin.  

There are 2 wood lounge chairs right outside your Lanai cabin door.  There is a small sign on each chair specifying that these chairs are for the guests in the associated Lanai cabin.  (See pix below)

1676129434_Lanaichairsign.jpg.5d7b46c78d83527e320b7a6f49c1d8c8.jpg

We have found that occasionally, some people choose to ignore the signs or claim they can't read English.  There are soft pads on the chairs.  The pads are placed on the chairs right after they wash down the Promenade deck, around 6:30 AM.  They remove the pads around 8:00 PM each night.

Noise was an issue in Lanai cabin #3376.  It is located directly under the dish washing section of the MDR Galley on the deck above.   We would hear some machines running around 6:00 AM, not too loud, but if you are a light sleeper, it may bother you.

The Lanai cabin description on the HAL website says it comes with a "no-host minibar".   I asked Ship's Services on a chat what that meant, and he said "it is a refrigerator with snacks and drinks".   I thought he was wrong, and when we got on board, we found it was 2 bottles of water and some cans of soda, with a hanger tag showing the prices of these items.  No snacks.  And definitely no fridge.  And I have no idea where they would put a fridge in those cabins, there's no room under the desk, which is the normal location.

We enjoyed the Lanai cabin and would book it again, just not one in that exact location.

Hey thanks TAD2005, as well.  I have booked a Rotterdam Lanai for Feb.  Thought it would enhance my "back to traditional cruising" experience.   Do you think that I can imagine being on an Amizon Steamer -with afternoon tea et, al?  Maybe too many old movies eh' ?:classic_biggrin:

My sister and I just returned from our cruise on the Rotterdam, Lanai Canin 3346.  We LOVED it. Not too many walkers on the deck, no one had a conversation in front of our door at any time. We would book these cabins in a heartbeat!  

We loved sitting outside and reading, chatting or just chilling.  We HIGHLY recommend these cabins!!!

• Like 1

OK...I booked one of these cabins.  Now I find out that there is no refrigerator.  One can rent one onboard?  Seriously?

does Rotterdam have BBKing?  I really enjoyed those shows when on Holland.  On longer cruises...29 days...do they offer a laundry package?

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:30 PM, AliceS said:

Thank you....not sure that I would feel safe with this situation.  Who has been in one of these cabins?  Help

There is no reason not to feel safe.  The sliding glass doors lock and can only be accessed with a lanai key.  As someone said above you will have two keys, a lanai door key and a regular stateroom key. 

I have had a Lanai room twice now, and would book one again in a heartbeat!

BB King is not on the Rotterdam, however Post Modern Jukebox is currently onboard.

Edited by TrolleyGirl
added PMJ

15 minutes ago, TrolleyGirl said:

There is no reason not to feel safe.  The sliding glass doors lock and can only be accessed with a lanai key.  As someone said above you will have two keys, a lanai door key and a regular stateroom key. 

I have had a Lanai room twice now, and would book one again in a heartbeat!

BB King is not on the Rotterdam, however Post Modern Jukebox is currently onboard.

Thank you so much.

15 hours ago, AliceS said:

OK...I booked one of these cabins.  Now I find out that there is no refrigerator.  One can rent one onboard?  Seriously?

does Rotterdam have BBKing?  I really enjoyed those shows when on Holland.  On longer cruises...29 days...do they offer a laundry package?

Yes, you can rent a mini-fridge for $2 per day.   Call Ship's Services and order it now, or contact the front desk when you are onboard.    

There is no BB King Blues Club on the Rotterdam.  They have a piano bar, intimate style, not the new, huge Billboard Onboard dueling pianos.   It is right next to the Mix, which is a nice martini bar.

The Rotterdam has the standard HAL laundry deals.   You can have stuff washed and pressed by the piece (most expensive), by the bag rate of $20 (or $30 in Europe), best deal), or unlimited laundry for $7 per day, per cabin.  Note, the rate of $7 is for the whole cabin, not per-person.   No matter which plan you choose,  you cannot use it on the last day of your cruise.   They usually get your laundered items back to you in under 24 hours, but that would not work on the day prior to your disembarkation.   Your clothes would show up on disembark morning and your bags would be long gone.   Pants, shirts, dresses all come back pressed and on hangers.  Small items like undies and socks are in tissue paper in a basket.   The $7 per day rate for unlimited laundry is for North America.  The rate is $9 per day in Europe.   If you call Ship's Services, you can pre-book and pay for the unlimited laundry package before boarding.

Thank you so much for the tips.  I loved the way the laundry came back on Holland.  The basket and tissue was fantastic.  I get my laundry done for free on Princess, but no basket!  Verything was beautifully done.  I will buy the package and pack less.

i will miss the BBKing music.  That was a highlight.  

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, suznjune said:

Getting even more excited about our Lanai cabin on Dec 16. Thanks for feedback from those who have sailed in them before.

We are thinking of booking a Lanai for our April Rotterdam cruise?  How was it?

It was a great alternative to a verandah cabin. Easy access to fresh air. We had no problems with noise or using our reserved lounges. The price difference made our choice easy. I would book it again. We were in 3369. It was not under the galley!

Had one of these cabins on the Rotterdam in December - 3341 and really enjoyed it.  Rented a refrigerator too because of meds I take.  Would get one again when we go again.  It's great to be able to go out onto the lower promenade and know there is a chair available for you.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 11:59 AM, mammy123 said:

Had one of these cabins on the Rotterdam in December - 3341 and really enjoyed it.  Rented a refrigerator too because of meds I take.  Would get one again when we go again.  It's great to be able to go out onto the lower promenade and know there is a chair available for you.  

Did you find the refrigerator was in the way?  Where did they place it?  Thanks.