Cruise Critic Community
goldengirl123

Holland America Presidents Club

Posted (edited)

Has anyone heard if/when the number of sailing days needed for Presidents Club went up from 1400 days to 1500 days?  We heard today at a Mariner Appreciation reception that it's now 1500 days.  Not happy when we are closing in the coveted 1400 days!  Would appreciate knowing if anyone else has heard the same thing.   

Edited by bet410

Well, I'm answering my own question...  Our TA contacted the head of the Mariner Society.  It is still 1400 days.   Guess the ship needs to get their facts straight!  

How does HAL decide who to invite and who not to?  I would be royally miffed if I sailed that many days and didn't get an invitation.  Just when you think you've left high school, more examples of the popular girls clique. 😒

Roz

10 minutes ago, Roz said:

How does HAL decide who to invite and who not to?  I would be royally miffed if I sailed that many days and didn't get an invitation.  Just when you think you've left high school, more examples of the popular girls clique. 😒

Roz

The decision is a collateral duty of the upgrade fairy.

3 hours ago, HamOp said:

The decision is a collateral duty of the upgrade fairy.

Like most companies with a customer base such as cruise lines, they keep a "profile" on each customer.  Your profile would include if you are a Neptune Suite or inside, shore excursion or DIY, bar tab or not, etc.  Maybe equally as important: If you are a happy cruiser or a constant complainer.  I think If you are low spender who is never satisfied, you might not be invited.

17 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Like most companies with a customer base such as cruise lines, they keep a "profile" on each customer.  Your profile would include if you are a Neptune Suite or inside, shore excursion or DIY, bar tab or not, etc.  Maybe equally as important: If you are a happy cruiser or a constant complainer.  I think If you are low spender who is never satisfied, you might not be invited.

Talk about elitism.  This doesn't sound like a Club I want to be a member of.  You would think sailing 1,400 days on one cruise line would be sufficient, without the unwritten rules and snobby criteria.

Roz

30 minutes ago, Roz said:

Talk about elitism.  This doesn't sound like a Club I want to be a member of.  You would think sailing 1,400 days on one cruise line would be sufficient, without the unwritten rules and snobby criteria.

Roz

Roz, I bet it's not as selective as all that.  I think they do special things, like dinners with captain, stuff like that, in a small, intimate group.  By saying it's by invitation only, they at least have an out if there is some really unruly person who cruises a lot, but they might spoil these nice events for others.  I bet they in reality invite everyone with the 1400 days!  😊

27 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Roz, I bet it's not as selective as all that.  I think they do special things, like dinners with captain, stuff like that, in a small, intimate group.  By saying it's by invitation only, they at least have an out if there is some really unruly person who cruises a lot, but they might spoil these nice events for others.  I bet they in reality invite everyone with the 1400 days!  😊

The PC members who we have gotten to know are actually some of the nicest cruisers.  They share a positive outlook and seem to realize their good fortune in life to be able to enjoy traveling as they do.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:26 AM, goldengirl123 said:

So presidents club members get free wifi after 1400 nights.  Does anyone know of any other 'perks' someone will receive when they become president club members? Someone once mentioned that they get free upgrades and extra ship board credit and gratuities are included. Can anyone verify this?

We are only half way there, but just planning now to see if it is worth being loyal to Holland America to get to this level.  

All  President Club members  receive a free  burial at sea  if  they expire  during a  HAL  cruise.

Let's be honest. If you have been  cruising this long;  this is a real possibility!

Eulogy  by  the Captain  does  carry a  small  fee  but  onboard credit may be used for this.

2 hours ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

All  President Club members  receive a free  burial at sea  if  they expire  during a  HAL  cruise.

Let's be honest. If you have been  cruising this long;  this is a real possibility!

Eulogy  by  the Captain  does  carry a  small  fee  but  onboard credit may be used for this.

😁!!  There's not many posts that make me laugh out loud, but yours did!

3 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

The PC members who we have gotten to know are actually some of the nicest cruisers.  They share a positive outlook and seem to realize their good fortune in life to be able to enjoy traveling as they do.

I agree with your comment, mostly.  As in every segment of society, the bell curve exists.  The President's Club Members are not exempt from that.  

Sailed with several Presidents Club members over past few years. They do get some great benefits.