Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Vict0riann

Live from Nieuw Statendam Premier Voyage, December 2018

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, bleacher04 said:

 

You may have cracked this case! :classic_biggrin:

(my emphasis)

I heard from friends in the business that the free shakedown cruise was invited guests- sounded like a lot of TA's were onboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scluvsrain said:

We talked with Captain Albert at dinner about the library books issue. He said that over a third of the books on this ship are already missing. 

 

Unbelievable. 

Um, not to try to start a war here, but if you are on a 14-day TA, and no one has really left the ship for good (other than Shore Excursions) how can you possibly have a third of the books "missing?"  Yes, a third can be borrowed by current passengers, but "missing" is probably not the best word for that situation.  After passengers debark in Ft. Lauderdale, except, of course, for those continuing on another B2B leg, then "missing" might be more accurate.  This just makes it seem so awful, which it might not really be at this point.  And, no, I do not think that no one would dare to remove a book permanently, but I believe it is way too soon to make that kind of judgement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Um, not to try to start a war here, but if you are on a 14-day TA, and no one has really left the ship for good (other than Shore Excursions) how can you possibly have a third of the books "missing?"  Yes, a third can be borrowed by current passengers, but "missing" is probably not the best word for that situation.  After passengers debark in Ft. Lauderdale, except, of course, for those continuing on another B2B leg, then "missing" might be more accurate.  This just makes it seem so awful, which it might not really be at this point.  And, no, I do not think that no one would dare to remove a book permanently, but I believe it is way too soon to make that kind of judgement.

There were a lot of vendors and others onboard at the shipyard and preview events before she sailed.  She also did a 4 night shakedown cruise with a full load of invited guests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Do like the looks of the new Pinnacle lunch menu.

 

Is the price still the same?

 

Yes, price is still $10.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The shelves look pretty bare compared to when we boarded and I'll share an update after FLL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scluvsrain said:

I studied the sports deck for a bit the other  day and I can’t see how the marked lines on the basketball court could turn into a pickle ball court, so I’m going to say no. There’s also no mention of any pickle ball play. 😞

 

Tomorrow’s Where and When has “meet for a game of pickle ball” at 4 pm at the Sports Court on deck 11.  So maybe it doesn’t use the basketball court?

 

So nice you could have dinner with Captain Albert.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kazu said:

I am still at a loss to understand why anyone would steal a book.  Along with the extra weight, it would be nice to think that most people's morales are better than that. 😞 

After 12 years working at our small local library, it still amazes me that people will steal things that they can borrow for free. Granted most of the missing items are due to forgetfulness and/or carelessness  but the monetary loss is the same. And it's not just the original price of the book, there's the replacement cost of the item and the staff time needed to reorder and catalog the new one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kazu said:

 

already missing?  But the cruise isn't over?  Are passengers not allowed to take the books to their room to read?  Or are they missing from when the VIP's were on I wonder?

It must be Orlando. I hear he’s s big reader .........😅😅😅😅

Edited by scluvsrain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

It must be Orlando. I hear he’s s big reader .........😅😅😅😅

 

LOL 😄 or he's just trying to prove that 1/3 of the books disappear 😉😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Wouldn’t play on my I-Pad? Thanks to both of you for sharing your cruise experience with us. Great job!👏🏻

 

Wouldn't play on mine either. I'm just glad that Rolling Stone Rock Room is a reality

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

 

Here’s a video of the Rollong Stone room tonight about a minute in you’ll see a very cool “little” dancer. 

 

Not working for me either, but I too, am on my Ipad.

I'll try it on the laptop later.

Might be the ship's internet?  If you want me to give it a shot Sherita, feel free to email it to me and I'll try posting it if you like.

 

I do find sometimes that there can be issues with videos on the ship. 😞 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

Not working for me either, but I too, am on my Ipad.

I'll try it on the laptop later.

Might be the ship's internet?  If you want me to give it a shot Sherita, feel free to email it to me and I'll try posting it if you like.

 

I do find sometimes that there can be issues with videos on the ship. 😞 

Nor my MacBook Pro...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kazu said:

 

already missing?  But the cruise isn't over?  Are passengers not allowed to take the books to their room to read?  Or are they missing from when the VIP's were on I wonder?

My thoughts exactly. How can they be missing when the cruise just began.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

Not working for me either, but I too, am on my Ipad.

I'll try it on the laptop later.

Might be the ship's internet?  If you want me to give it a shot Sherita, feel free to email it to me and I'll try posting it if you like.

 

I do find sometimes that there can be issues with videos on the ship. 😞 

 

Nor my PC desktop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

My thoughts exactly. How can they be missing when the cruise just began.

 

Because they already had a disembarkation in Civitavecchia. Some people see something they like and/or can use at home so they take it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

Because they already had a disembarkation in Civitavecchia. Some people see something they like and/or can use at home so they take it

You would think and/or hope VIPS would know/be better than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

You would think and/or hope VIPS would know/be better than that.

 

 

Except it wasn't just VIPs, lots of travel industry people :classic_wink: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

Because they already had a disembarkation in Civitavecchia. Some people see something they like and/or can use at home so they take it

 

Those were the VIP's and invites!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

See post #520 please, Ma'am

 

Didn't see that as you posted while I was typing 😉. Thanks 😄  But they were still all invited, no?

Maybe security should keep a tighter eye on the TA industry 😉. 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scluvsrain said:

Well. I’m pretty excited to report that I got to have dinner with Captain Albert tonight. He’s apparently old friends with two of my table mates Donna and Ike. We had an open seat at the table and he just came and plopped himself down. I was super impressed with him. What a nice man and full of great stories!! A thoroughly enjoyable meal.  

What a treat!! Very exciting. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent photos and I appreciate the reading the reports of those aboard this new ship.  

 

Disappointed in the news about the book situation, however.  Ought we start a "Hire Librarians Campaign"?  

 

Whether there is an official book exchange area or not, I am going to be leaving whatever books that I have finished rather than hauling them off the ship.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...