Live from Nieuw Statendam Premier Voyage, December 2018

Vict0riann

7 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I told Sherita to run and get Snort to play with his friends!

i saw this in the Lido Bar - really the only drinks list I have noticed.  I think if I had it to do over again, I would be taking a bottle of wine from our package to Happy Hour!

08675452-74EE-4C7D-A818-C8AB54926516.thumb.jpeg.d9509e27c9176d50f7a60cbfa179ac59.jpeg

Wow!  Dumping the Explore 4 package and its Signature Beverage card for a lower fare looks like an even smarter move now.  Although the savings will likely be spent on more wine packages...

Love the towel animal extravaganza!  Kudos to the crew for all of their work!

1 hour ago, bleacher04 said:

Dumping the Explore 4 package and its Signature Beverage card for a lower fare looks like an even smarter move now.  Although the savings will likely be spent on more wine packages...

I was thinking how the SBP/Explore4 wouldn't work well here too.  But it's a limited list 😉

I did note one of my wines had gone past the $9 mark, but we plan to upgrade to the elite package and not worry about it 😉 

Hi cruisers!

I am going on the Dec. 23rd cruise and very excited!  I have a few questions so thanks in advance if you could kindly let me know:

1)  How is the wi-fi mid package (7day for $99) - is it slow, moderate, or well worth the $99?

2)  For those with "Open seating" time, how has that been in regards to wait time when you arrive for dinner at MDR?

3)  For those with "Open seating" time, has HAL been able to accommodate at least doing a reservation for the next 3 nights?

4)  Are there any specialty restaurants that offer lunch that is "included" and not a fee?

5)  How is the red wine selection / taste under the Signature Package?  

6)  Our ship is sold out (not sure if yours is) but if it is sold out, does the ship seem crowded?

Thank you!!!  I've enjoyed reading your adventure on board the new ship and love seeing the photos!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bleacher04 said:

Wow!  Dumping the Explore 4 package and its Signature Beverage card for a lower fare looks like an even smarter move now.  Although the savings will likely be spent on more wine packages...

Love the towel animal extravaganza!  Kudos to the crew for all of their work!

We are new at bringing our own wine and plan to bring a few bottles. So I understand the dining room keeps your bottles opened there. How do you get that wine if going to other areas of the ship? Can you carry your own wine from your cabin around? thanks.

After a very good few days with internet, I have had difficulties most of the day, either the ship’s internet or CC, I’m not sure which.  

Passing through the Billboard area this afternoon I saw a book of drink prices.  The printshop must’ve been working overtime.  Lots of pages.

A4EAE01A-0968-40CA-8D22-4FB73F885BF4.thumb.jpeg.7be40a821c4f575c01c1304504862b10.jpeg1CCD720F-0F10-443D-B620-3CDBDC146F31.thumb.jpeg.77ccdc3bf7c393ed048f60a7954f4289.jpeg78B7DFC0-59BA-4FD4-92ED-9181152F336C.thumb.jpeg.541aca9e7d2cc3b8361fb5494d89171f.jpegC489C3B8-5F99-4F5F-B9B5-677DDC4DA6FE.thumb.jpeg.b449ba40c1b34a0850c45cea915675c2.jpegB8F42017-BF76-4AF9-B402-220AD3E7822C.thumb.jpeg.6bc617dc81cfaded09fea6d6c77fbed0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

@scluvsrain and/or @Vict0riann - do you know if the alcohol selection on board is more extensive than what we can pre-order to the room? I'd like to have a nice bottle of rum for sipping at sunset from the balcony, but what is offered via pre-ordering (and on the "shot" list) is ...um... not sip-worthy 😉 Otherwise, I'll have to plan a different beverage.

And thanks for providing so much info -- it is really, really, really helpful to me!

16 minutes ago, atlanta_gaga said:

We are new at bringing our own wine and plan to bring a few bottles. So I understand the dining room keeps your bottles opened there. How do you get that wine if going to other areas of the ship? Can you carry your own wine from your cabin around? thanks.

We have had no problems so far - if we tell our wine steward where we are going to be the following night, our wine is there when we arrive.🍷😎

Thank you for posting the new beverage list!

There is one thing that I find absolutely unacceptable, bordering on insulting, and thast is that the  a glass of the cheapest Sparkling wine, is now 10 Dollars, so you can not even have a glass of bubbly when you have a SBP. !!!

Only 5 wines in total that are 9 or less.. come on HAL, these are price increases of over 30% in some cases, and over 65% price-increase for a mediocre Prosecco. 

• Like 1

Ann, 

Thank you so much for posting the wine list, thermal suite info & answering the many questions you received.  You are amazing! Yes, most helpful to many of us. Based on the limited wines for $9 , we may have no choice but to upgrade. At least we have that option - two years ago we did not. 

Enjoy your last day on board tomorrow !

Happy Holidays to all & Happy Cruising!

Paula

Thank you so much for posting the new beverage list.  Very thoughtful and extremely helpful in our planning.  I probably should know the answer to this but to all of you experienced HAL guests who enjoy an adult beverage, as we do, I have two specific questions.  I have not yet purchased my beverage package and having had Elite in the past I am wondering if I need it this cruise or whether I can get by with the Signature although I am concerned at the lack of wine choices with Signature.  Any and all advice welcomed.  

Here goes:  If I have an Elite Beverage Package and wish to enjoy a glass of Veuve Cliquot priced at $18 per glass, how am I billed?  Am I presented with a drink chit to sign for the additional $3 plus gratuity or because the drink is in excess of the allotted $15 am I charged the full amount?  Secondly, with regards to a classic martini I have the following question.   On a Signature Beverage Package you can get almost all vodka within the $9 limit.  How is a classic dry martini priced out and would that fall within the signature beverage package limit or by having a martini (which requires more than one single shot of spirit) is the price therefore higher and only available with the Elite?

EDITING: to add one more follow up question.  I realize the Signature is priced $5 per day less if purchased in advance of the sailing.   Is the Elite package charged the same pre-cruise as it is priced on board the ship?  Trying to work out if I should buy the Signature pre-cruise to take advantage of the savings and then simply upgrade once on board to the Elite if we decide to do so.

On a side note, thank you to all for the detailed posts from Nieuw Statendam. We board this coming weekend and are very excited about this new vessel.   Really do appreciate everyones insight and feedback 🙂

Ashley

Edited by goldengatecruisers

I will try to look into all these questions tomorrow.  We had a lovely final gala dinner , and I am ready for a nap!  I do believe that if you purchase a drink that is beyond the price that is included in your package, then you are charged the full amount, but I may be wrong.C885F4FF-5F90-4E85-B4EC-12DE9941D955.thumb.jpeg.de71040d9360c30e1cde61a07409c908.jpeg7BCCC7B7-E1A4-4373-9453-5BCCFF5B9827.thumb.jpeg.f72386c0a00a1e2f476552232f2d51b3.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for all your kind comments!  I think we have really enjoyed sharing all our experiences with our good friends on Cruise Critic.  Thanks to all of you.  

Just one one more day on the beautiful Nieuw Statendam and it will all be over for some of us, but others will sail on and others will be boarding for a wonderful cruise.  Bon voyage, all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1