Evening shows on Nieuw Amsterdam in the main theater?

Ken the cruiser

My son and his family went on a 7 day cruise to some western Caribbean islands and Mexico 17-24 Nov and told me there were NO evening shows in the main theater other than port lectures. We heard HAL no longer has production shows, but have they stopped booking guest entertainers as well on the shorter 7 day cruises on the Nieuw Amsterdam as well? He said they had port lectures in the evening and had one game show, Majority Rules, on the last sea day. We know from recently cruising on the Amsterdam and Koningsdam, they sometimes advertise the main show times on the back page of the Navigator (?) rather than in the chronological daily event postings on pages 2-3. In fact when we were on the Amsterdam a year ago, a guy told us he missed the first 5 evening shows because he didn't notice them listed on the back page. Could my son have missed the evening shows in the main theater because of similar oversight or has HAL just stopped booking acts on the 7 day Caribbean cruises on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

3 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

It does sound strange that weren't any kind of shows in the show lounge in the evenings.

Did your son save any of the Where and When dailies?  Maybe they missed them.

Maybe so just like that guy we met on the Amsterdam. Unfortunately, they didn't save any so we'll never know for sure. I know the Maasdam is switching to in-depth cruises and multiple lectures a day, but we didn't know the whole fleet was moving in that direction.

1 hour ago, smileyface1948 said:

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam 9/21-10/28. There were three productions shows per week and wonderful guest entertainers. The singers and dancers were wonderful. All was very enjoyable.

So you were on it for a little over 5 weeks. Cool! Were any of those legs of your cruise for only 7 days in the Caribbean?  If there was a show every night with either guest entertainers or a production cast, were they listed on the HAL app, in the center of the Where and When dailies (where all of the other daily events were listed), or just on the back page (page 4) where their ad may be over looked? I'm just trying to figure out how my son's party of 6, which included 5 adults, missed seeing the notifications on their 7 day Caribbean cruise on Thanksgiving week if, in fact, there was one every night.

The info was on page three usually 8pm and 10 pm shows. They were very good and we totally enjoyed our time on her. We are leaving tomorrow 12/2 for two weeks on the Rotterdam. Never been on an older, smaller ship but it is ported 20 minutes from our house. Way too convenient!

I sailed NA the week of Thanksgiving and the entertainment was excellent. Aside from BB King, Billboard Onboard, and Lincoln Center Stage, there were two production shows: One World and Billboard Off the Charts. They also had Planet Earth Live and the funniest comedian I have ever seen on a cruise. Finally they had a mentalist duo called DNA. So, no fear. Production shows remain and are better than ever. 

38 minutes ago, Cruiser Bruiser said:

I sailed NA the week of Thanksgiving and the entertainment was excellent. Aside from BB King, Billboard Onboard, and Lincoln Center Stage, there were two production shows: One World and Billboard Off the Charts. They also had Planet Earth Live and the funniest comedian I have ever seen on a cruise. Finally they had a mentalist duo called DNA. So, no fear. Production shows remain and are better than ever. 

That's great to hear and at the same time wish I could figure out how my son and his group of six never saw any reference to the different shows held in the theater, especially if they had both an early and late show like other HAL cruises we've sailed on in the past? He did mention they used the HAL app to plan their day, but never saw any reference to the evening shows. Oh well, thanks for clearing that up and glad you had a great time!