Taxi from Tokyo cruise terminal to Shinjuku station area hotel after Princess cruise

gam888

We are going on a Princess cruise ending up in Tokyo.  We have booked for a hotel very close to the Shinjuku station.  Just wondering if anyone knows approximately how much is the taxi ride from the cruise terminal to the Shinjuku area, or if there is a train or shuttle bus that would take people to that area?  Thank you.  

• Like 1

Taxi in Japan are very expensive, in addition traffic in Japan can be really bad so that will add to your cost. Your best bet is to take the train. When you get off the ship, you will need to take a taxi to the Yokohama station. From there, take the train to Shinjuku station. Shinjuku station is huge, so you will need to do research in advance to find out what exit to take to when you get out of the station. Take the wrong exit, and you will likely get lost if this is your first time In Shinjuku. If you each have one bag, plus carry on train should be manageable. Just avoid rush hour 

You might want to research bus options as well. I am sure buses leave from the train station. I have never gone into Tokyo after a cruise, rather I always stay before I depart. But coming and going is the same. 

Shinjuku is a great place to stay in Tokyo. Very convenient location for seeing all of the sites. Enjoy. 

• Like 1

Depending on your luggage situation the train can be an option but if you have lots of luggage or need help with it I would look at other options, especially if you’re traveling during morning rush hour as you will likely be if your getting off a ship.  

Taxis are indeed very expensive in Tokyo. I would not be surprised if this route was $125-150 (or more) but I could be off some. Go to the Tokyo forum on TripAdvisor and look for post there on this subject or post the question there and you see replies from destination experts from the area. 

We boarded the Golden last April in Yokohama. Our research led us to return to the Haneda airport after our stay in Tokyo on the day before boarding and taking the Limo Bus from there to near the Osambawhi cruise terminal where our hotel was located.  These buses are very well organizespd with comfy, clean seating and the driver loads/unloads bags underneath. The cost was 700 yen per person or about $7. The taxi was going to be $90 I think from Haneda. 

There is a limo bus stop near the Monterey hotel a block or so from the terminal but I’m not sure how you might buy purchase tickets for this direction. In the airport it’s easily done using a machine or ticket counter. I believe I would take the ship transfer to the Haneda airport and then take the appropriate Limo bus to the Shinjuku station area. Here is info on the Shinjuku route and which cost 1250 yen each. 

https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/areas/detail/hnd/shinjuku/dep

it appears to be an hour or so from the airport to there and there are stops on the route for hotels around there. Yours may be on the list. 

Hope this helps,

Chris

Edited by gottagocit

As mentioned here the "Tokyo" cruise port is NOT in Tokyo.

It is in the city of Yokohama which is a good hour or so south of Tokyo.

I have used this shuttle service from the airport in Tokyo into the city.

They also offer service from the Yokohama cruise port into Tokyo.

https://www.greentomato-j.com/eng/shuttle/yokohama_seaport.php

We went in the other direction earlier this year, from a hotel near Shinjuku Station to the ship in Yokohama.  We used the Tokyoairporter company, and paid about 9,000 yen for 4 people with luggage.  This is the best and easiest way to make the journey.

10 hours ago, GoLaLaKers said:

Taxi in Japan are very expensive, in addition traffic in Japan can be really bad so that will add to your cost. Your best bet is to take the train. When you get off the ship, you will need to take a taxi to the Yokohama station. From there, take the train to Shinjuku station. Shinjuku station is huge, so you will need to do research in advance to find out what exit to take to when you get out of the station. Take the wrong exit, and you will likely get lost if this is your first time In Shinjuku. If you each have one bag, plus carry on train should be manageable. Just avoid rush hour 

You might want to research bus options as well. I am sure buses leave from the train station. I have never gone into Tokyo after a cruise, rather I always stay before I depart. But coming and going is the same. 

Shinjuku is a great place to stay in Tokyo. Very convenient location for seeing all of the sites. Enjoy. 

I agree with all this unless you have a lot of luggage.  Tokyo trains are very crowded.  Shinjuku station is the busiest train station in the world, and I can attest to that.  It’s VERY confusing and more like a shopping center that happens to also be a train station.  There are shuttle services in the greater Tokyo region that offer direct connections from the Yokohama Cruise Terminal to your Shinjuku area hotel.  

Here is one bus service, https://www.veltra.com/en/asia/japan/tokyo/ctg/181376:cruise_port_transfer/

Tokyo is expensive and you need to get cash.  Many places do not take credit cards especially the little interesting shops and restaurants.  Shinjuku is very international so some English is spoken but be prepared to point and jesture.  Learn a few basic Japanese phrases, hello and thank you are the most important.  

A basic way of saying “hello” in Japanese is “konnichiwa.”

"arigatou gozaimasu" essentially means "thank you very much."

If you can handle your luggage, i.e. one suitcase and a backpack or similar, transfer from Yokohama cruise terminal to a Tokyo hotel by public transportation  is quite easy.  We were there in October.  Got off the ship, free shuttle to Yokohama train station.  Bought two tickets (under $10.00).  We made one transfer and then took a taxi to our hotel (around $12.00).  People were very helpful and we always found someone who spoke some English.  I was very impressed by Japan.  Clean, organized, efficient.  Good advice about learning a few key words in Japanese.  It is very appreciated by the locals.  I loved the custom of bowing instead of shaking hands.  I was still bowing when I got home.  Got some strange looks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, riffatsea said:

As mentioned here the "Tokyo" cruise port is NOT in Tokyo.

It is in the city of Yokohama which is a good hour or so south of Tokyo.

I have used this shuttle service from the airport in Tokyo into the city.

They also offer service from the Yokohama cruise port into Tokyo.

https://www.greentomato-j.com/eng/shuttle/yokohama_seaport.php

We have used them for transportation to the ship. Reliable company. 

Also, i would suggest you rent a wifi hot spot. That way you can always have internet access. Helps you get around and translate. If you order in advance they will ship to your hotel. You can return the device at hotel or airport.