Availability of taxi or tour at port of Ushuaia?

wangy26

We will be at port of Ushuaia (on Celebrity cruise) on Jan 12, 2019. Our plan for that day is still uncertain as of now.  We are still waiting for the Pira tour's decision if they will offer penguin tour for the cruise passenger on that day. I want to have some back up plan in case that one doesn't work out. I am considering just hire a taxi driver at the port to take us (6 of us) to the Tierra del Fuego National Park for the day (5-6 hours sightseeing and some easy hiking).  I will really appreciate it if you can help for the following questions:

1. Is taxi/tour readily available at the port?

2. Do some of taxi drivers/tour guides speak English since we don't speak Spanish?

3. How much is average cost to hire a taxi driver/tour guide for 5-6 hour to the NP?

Thanks so much for the help!

I find penguin tours out of this port,  probably my last choice.   Other areas are superior for my preferences.

There is a taxi  stand-   coming out of the dock area- at  the main street-  turn left   cross the main street and walk up to the  next block.    Cab  stand  is in that area.   Very close to the port entrance.  

As for "tours"   via  cabs-   sorry,  you  don't run into much English speaking.   There is much more to visiting the area, then using the generic term of "Tierra del Fuego".  That is like saying you are touring Florida.   You would be way  better off,  doing your homework  and routing out points of interest,  and then having a driver take you there.   Just riding on the main highway-  is hardly worthwhile.   Knowing areas is superior.     There is also a per person  park admission   that has to be paid in Argentine  pesos.       Multiple   ATM's  right on the main street up the hill.   I've seen  cab   "tours"   offered with fixed prices,  but again  inclusions  are very important for my preferences,    but may not matter for others.   

If you want "hiking",   then I'd only suggest a car rental,  several   not far from the port and the area is simple to drive.   Would make the best use of your time.   

The train is a grossly superior entrance into the park  vs  road,  plus  vintage trains.  - if of interest.   Several worthwhile attractions walkable  right in the port as well.

This is a  wonderful port to enjoy-  as are all  the others.    Enjoy you trip.  

Budget Queen,

Thanks so much for the taxi stand and park entrance fee info.  Besides national park what are the other places that are worth seeing (not within walking distance)?  Can you also elaborate a little bit why you consider that the penguin tour (Pira tour) from this port is your last choice?

Thanks again!

By far the jackpot penguin tour is Volunteer Point.  This is my first contact after I book these cruises.    Next-  Punta Tombo  and Magdalena Island.   Far superior in my opinion.       I'd suggest-   if doing your own taxi routing-  you get out to the glaciers.   The "regular"  basic taxi tours,  don't go there,   with their routes,   going to several pull outs,   sometimes the small museum,  and end of Highway 1.      

We booked the train via Viator. Price was reasonable for first class and a good schedule considering how long we are in port that day. The train sounded really good and we love train travel as opposed to buses or vans. Just personal preferences.

On 12/1/2018 at 11:29 AM, wangy26 said:

We will be at port of Ushuaia (on Celebrity cruise) on Jan 12, 2019. Our plan for that day is still uncertain as of now.  We are still waiting for the Pira tour's decision if they will offer penguin tour for the cruise passenger on that day. I want to have some back up plan in case that one doesn't work out. I am considering just hire a taxi driver at the port to take us (6 of us) to the Tierra del Fuego National Park for the day (5-6 hours sightseeing and some easy hiking).  I will really appreciate it if you can help for the following questions:

1. Is taxi/tour readily available at the port?

2. Do some of taxi drivers/tour guides speak English since we don't speak Spanish?

3. How much is average cost to hire a taxi driver/tour guide for 5-6 hour to the NP?

Thanks so much for the help!

We will be in Ushuaia December 31st. I also contacted Pira Tours back in September  regarding their "penguin tour". Their initial response was quick to arrive and stated that they were working with the ship  to see how many people were interested. At the end of September I received an e mail from them apologizing " but with the time constraints of the ship's time in port , they were unable to offer their tour that day".

I have since booked the Punta Tomba Penguin Rookery tour in Puerto Madryn through the ship. 

The Pira Tours are highly recommended and may not be your outcome. I'm just happy I get to "see penguins"!

Edited by b.allen

We will be visiting Ushuaia in January as well.  We have decided to "do our own thing" and see the sights on our own.  There is a neat double-decker bus tour that leaves from the information center. We plan on doing this as it seems reasonable.

https://www.interpatagonia.com/ushuaia/ushuaia-citytour.html?fbclid=IwAR2romgpGnReXMztI7q9UzgLyEiF99CpIPljWdHme6igngBbOSfDL3ZVcNc

On 12/5/2018 at 6:06 PM, boom_boom said:

We booked the train via Viator. Price was reasonable for first class and a good schedule considering how long we are in port that day. The train sounded really good and we love train travel as opposed to buses or vans. Just personal preferences.

Where did you get the train?   Did it start from the port or did you take a bus to the train?

On 12/13/2018 at 8:16 AM, TeresaDom said:

We will be visiting Ushuaia in January as well.  We have decided to "do our own thing" and see the sights on our own.  There is a neat double-decker bus tour that leaves from the information center. We plan on doing this as it seems reasonable.

https://www.interpatagonia.com/ushuaia/ushuaia-citytour.html?fbclid=IwAR2romgpGnReXMztI7q9UzgLyEiF99CpIPljWdHme6igngBbOSfDL3ZVcNc

Being you have not taken this bus,  it really is very basic and only goes around the immediate area-  that is just as easy to walk.   It's hardly worth it for many people.    If only staying in the general port area,  there are some interesting museums that are walkable.    

On 12/6/2018 at 5:59 AM, b.allen said:

We will be in Ushuaia December 31st. I also contacted Pira Tours back in September  regarding their "penguin tour". Their initial response was quick to arrive and stated that they were working with the ship  to see how many people were interested. At the end of September I received an e mail from them apologizing " but with the time constraints of the ship's time in port , they were unable to offer their tour that day".

I have since booked the Punta Tomba Penguin Rookery tour in Puerto Madryn through the ship. 

The Pira Tours are highly recommended and may not be your outcome. I'm just happy I get to "see penguins"!

An  alternative to consider with Punta Tombo-  are the excellent walk up vendors that pick up and return to the ship.  Highly reliable and in operation over numerous years.   Usually a significant savings over ship tours.   

We were in Ushuaia a few weeks ago and pre-rented a car with Budget- across street from port.

we drove to Tierra del Fuego Park - entrance fee can be paid in pesos or by credit card- and explored the park, taking several of the shorter walks.

the map you receive on entering is quite clear and gives details of each trail - most are one way so allow time for return. Also shows locations of parking areas, visitor centre, washrooms, etc

others from our cruise took one of the “buses” to the park and back.  They run every hour or so and have several drop off/pick up points throughout the park 

We picked up car at 9.30, spent a few hours at the Park (4 walks, had our passports stamped at End of World, and went to visitors centre to see the small interpretive  Museum plus have a snack), drove back to town via the hills and ski area behind the town which gave us beautiful views over the whole bay, filled up with gas/petrol downtown and then returned the car at 4.30- just to give you an  idea of timing.

and we used credit card for all purchases so didn’t need to get pesos- most of the stores also took US$.

• Thanks 1