stickey_mouse

Celebrity Edge- Major Ship Envy!

54 minutes ago, stickey_mouse said:

Just curious, have you been on Princess' Royal class of ships? I think those ships have visually stunning interiors, but I have yet to try them. 

We will be sailing Oct 4 ,2019 on a 10 night Mexico  Riviera cruise on royal Princess from San Pedro Ca  .It is a R/T cruise . This will be our first time on the Royal class  ;as it was on the East Coast  .  We do like the newer ships for their upgraded interiors  . 

12 hours ago, Doubt It said:

<snip>

Well said Jammu2.  Agree with your analysis.

But having just come off a very poor Oceania cruise, with their new August 2018, cheapened menu, even the near-luxury brands are downgrading. Take a look at the increase in poor reviews for Oceania and even more so for Azamara. I certainly will not pay the high $ costs for Oceania given they are downgrading.

I don't know how much O has cheapened.  

We sailed on it in 2016 and were very disappointed in the cruise.  

I found they were all hype and didn't come through at all and that was 2 years ago.

DH, who is the most tolerant of all people and rarely fills out a survey completed his won on that cruise.

It would take him a mountain of men to drag him back on that ship and we are not complainers, but that cruise was beyond abysmal for him and I. 😉

I am not sure why people rave about it.  Maybe different cruises are better but it's too expensive to take the chance.  Especially when you e their headquarters to share your concerns and that tell you to PFO and then welcome you onboard soon.  Sheesh 

12 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I agree about the food, though we have only eaten in HAL's MDR twice, before a Yukon cruise tour.  Celebrity's Blu appears to be a close match, from our limited experience.  When you compare the breakfast menus, the buffet, the Dive-In, HAL is the clear winner.

Let's hope if these complaints go wide spread, Celebrity does corrections to future Edge Class ships.  Celebrity passengers are not as loyal as they might think.  Princess and HAL need the competition, plus many of us like to alternate.  If things went south, I wouldn't be surprised if Norwegian eventually sticks their finger in air, and introduces their own premium cruise line eventually...

For now, I'll just sit back and read the reviews with a bag of popcorn! 

They (NCL) have them they are  called Oceania and at the top end Regent. Both are owned by NCL

2 hours ago, RDC1 said:

They (NCL) have them they are  called Oceania and at the top end Regent. Both are owned by NCL

There's potential for something in-between NCL and Oceania.  Oceania competes more directly with Viking Ocean, Azamara, and Windstar.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I'm rather new to cruising in general -- I've done only two cruises on HAL (14-day Alaska Sep 2017, and 38-day Voyage of the Vikings Jul/Aug 2018), and one on Regent (28-day Vancouver-->Miami Sep/Oct 2018). That's it -- three cruises in all.  But I've learned a lot from those three.

The idea of sharing limited space with >3000 of my new BFFs nearly triggers a panic attack, not to mention the logistical issues of just getting around a big ship that become much more challenging as a result of some physical limitations.  I'm very careful when choosing a cabin to make sure the location "works" for my limitations and priorities (quiet place to sleep, enough private space so that I don't feel cramped, and proximity to dining venues are the primary factors; more secondary is proximity to social activities/venues).  Getting on/off the ship for excursions can likewise be problematic, so onboard experience is paramount for me.

I know I'm in a minority of cruise passengers --- especially those that patronize cruise lines that cater to a younger clientele.  And I know that the larger ships are clearly a smart move for the cruise lines building them -- there are a LOT of people who love big ships with many distractions and the close proximity of thousands of other people who enjoy shorter cruises (heck, when I was still working, had I been interested in cruising, I probably would have opted for 7- to 10-day cruises as opposed to my current usual 21+-day trips).  More power to them!  

So, I'll continue to explore other cruise lines.  I have two more HAL trips booked in 2019 as well as a short Oceania trip in July on the Regatta, just to try them out.  In 2020, I have two more Regent cruises booked, plus a 20-day B2B to/from Alaska booked on Viking Ocean for summer 2020.  After that, I'll have to assess where I am physically.  HAL will always be one of my favorite cruise lines due mostly to itineraries and their smaller mid-sized ships; RSSC is fast becoming another favorite due to attractive single traveler pricing which makes them competitive with lines like HAL as well as their all-inclusive fares and smaller size.  One person's "hell" is another person's "heaven."  

Something for everyone out there ... 

Lana in Bellingham, WA

5 hours ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

I'm rather new to cruising in general -- I've done only two cruises on HAL (14-day Alaska Sep 2017, and 38-day Voyage of the Vikings Jul/Aug 2018), and one on Regent (28-day Vancouver-->Miami Sep/Oct 2018). That's it -- three cruises in all.  But I've learned a lot from those three.

The idea of sharing limited space with >3000 of my new BFFs nearly triggers a panic attack, not to mention the logistical issues of just getting around a big ship that become much more challenging as a result of some physical limitations.  I'm very careful when choosing a cabin to make sure the location "works" for my limitations and priorities (quiet place to sleep, enough private space so that I don't feel cramped, and proximity to dining venues are the primary factors; more secondary is proximity to social activities/venues).  Getting on/off the ship for excursions can likewise be problematic, so onboard experience is paramount for me.

I know I'm in a minority of cruise passengers --- especially those that patronize cruise lines that cater to a younger clientele.  And I know that the larger ships are clearly a smart move for the cruise lines building them -- there are a LOT of people who love big ships with many distractions and the close proximity of thousands of other people who enjoy shorter cruises (heck, when I was still working, had I been interested in cruising, I probably would have opted for 7- to 10-day cruises as opposed to my current usual 21+-day trips).  More power to them!  

So, I'll continue to explore other cruise lines.  I have two more HAL trips booked in 2019 as well as a short Oceania trip in July on the Regatta, just to try them out.  In 2020, I have two more Regent cruises booked, plus a 20-day B2B to/from Alaska booked on Viking Ocean for summer 2020.  After that, I'll have to assess where I am physically.  HAL will always be one of my favorite cruise lines due mostly to itineraries and their smaller mid-sized ships; RSSC is fast becoming another favorite due to attractive single traveler pricing which makes them competitive with lines like HAL as well as their all-inclusive fares and smaller size.  One person's "hell" is another person's "heaven."  

Something for everyone out there ... 

Lana in Bellingham, WA

ArtsyCraftsy, nice plan.

Be very careful of Oceania's Regatta - this ship has a history of propulsion problems and many missed ports. There are 2 threads on the Oceania board from mid November discussing this.

Here is some further information:

http://crew-center.com/oceania-regatta-technical-problems-canceled-ports-and-code-red

Does anyone know how the Edge's AC system deals with the heat from the fake balconies? I know you're not supposed to leave real balcony doors open because it messes with the HVAC in your room's zone. 

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Does anyone know how the Edge's AC system deals with the heat from the fake balconies? I know you're not supposed to leave real balcony doors open because it messes with the HVAC in your room's zone. 

There is an extremely long thread in the Celebrity forum called, not surprisingly, "Problem with Infinite Veranda on the New Edge," that began with a report about the design flaw that apparently makes it impossible to keep daylight out of the cabin if you are on the "balcony" part.  Along the way, the issue you have asked about was addressed by chengkp75, who says (and he knows his stuff) that leaving the "window" down will have the same a/c problem as leaving the traditional balcony doors open:

This choice is like any others.  SImply select the ship and the price point of your preference.

Why on earth would anyone care what ship or cruise line someone else decides to try, or what price they pay.  MYOB?  Besides, opinions are simply that. Someone's opinion can never be wrong because that is their perception.

After all, it is just a ship.  No different than any other purchase one makes.   Do people feel the same intensity about automobile make/model,  airline,  ketchup or cereal brand?

Edited by iancal

Cruise Critic gave the Edge a score of 4.5 out of 5. Its review, as well as the handful of others on CC, suggest that the Edge is not for cruisers who like traditional experiences. No surprise there. I'll admit that my eagerness to try Edge has been tapered a bit since my original post. 

Yikes, I've been learning more and more, that makes me want to stay the heck off that ship.  At least the food still looks good, and the decor subjective.  Someone reported that the characters in Eden, gathered up all the throw pillows in the venue (even those being used), to make a giant pile in the center stage. A couple of the girls then rolled around on them for 45 minutes.

Ummmm, I'll take HAL's new rock venue instead.

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Yikes, I've been learning more and more, that makes me want to stay the heck off that ship.

I agree 100%. The seemingly ridiculous high cabin rates on the EDGE will keep many from booking on this ship. I would never consider it until the cost drops to  more competitive levels and I probable would still stay off.

I seem to recall similar comments when Celebrity launched the Equinox.  We were not certain that we would like the ship.  Eight months or so later, when fares became competitive, we booked.     After the first day on that Solstice class ship it became our favorite class of ship-any on Celebrity and on all other cruise lines.  It still is.   We have sailed on several different cruise lines and classes of ships since that time but when it comes down to a draw.  But perhaps after trying Kdam or Edge they might replace Solstice as our favorites.

Edited by iancal

23 hours ago, iancal said:

I seem to recall similar comments when Celebrity launched the Equinox.  We were not certain that we would like the ship.  Eight months or so later, when fares became competitive, we booked.     After the first day on that Solstice class ship it became our favorite class of ship-any on Celebrity and on all other cruise lines.  It still is.   We have sailed on several different cruise lines and classes of ships since that time but when it comes down to a draw.  But perhaps after trying Kdam or Edge they might replace Solstice as our favorites.

I agree. The Solstice class is stunning. The best design of a ship I have seen. 

On 12/15/2018 at 9:44 AM, iancal said:

I seem to recall similar comments when ________ launched ________.

Keep in mind that previous success is no guarantee of future success,.  For instance, Coca-Cola Cherry was introduced in 1985, still popular today,  vs New Coke launched the same year, a failure.  Circuit city developed CarMax  in 1991, then went on to lose $114 million on DIVX, 6 years later.  

Or even closer to home, look at RCCL's popular Oasis of the Seas, launched in 2009, maintaining 4/5 stars.  There were naysayers for sure, but it works.  Quantum of the Seas was launched in 2014, maintaining 3/5 Stars, is not doing as well.  Most of those ships have been pushed off to developing cruise markets, while they focus their attention back on Oasis Class.