Celebrity Edge- Major Ship Envy!

stickey_mouse

I’m fresh off Edge and all I can say is - wow!  Celebrity was far ahead of HAL with Solstice Class and they just distanced themselves even farther with Edge. 

I’ve also cruised K’dam twice. Nice ship but not on the level of Solstice or Edge. Not even close. Celebrity’s newer ships are stunning. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beachbunny6 said:

One final comment regarding my recent voyage - here is the absolutely AWESOME view from the top level of the Midport Parking Garage in Port Everglades on December 23rd.  I cannot think of a more wonderful view, unless of course, one could get a professional photo of it!  The two newest, magnificent Ladies of the Sea!  It just doesn't get any better than this IMHO!

IMG_0041.thumb.jpg.ad3c86a2edfd8fdcb398f65a4900e4e8.jpg

A drone shot of those two from above would have been spectacular.  Still a nice picture though.

• Thanks 1

We are 5 Star Mariners and also Elite Plus (with Celebrity) and have often enjoyed both lines (among others).  The various Edge videos do make that ship look amazing and one should note she is the first billion dollar ship!  But if you take the time to follow some of the recent blogs posted by those who have cruised on the Edge, there is much not to like about the ship.  We have no "Edge Envy"   That being said, we are already missing not being on the MSC Divina in its Yacht Club (HAL has nothing to compete with this ship within a ship) so I guess you could say we have MSC Yacht Club envy :).

Hank

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:31 PM, stickey_mouse said:

I just watched a couple of walkthrough videos of the new Celebrity Edge. I'm impressed! What I worried was going to be too much of a whimsical, technology-driven ship actually appears to be a beautiful, modern, well laid out vessel. A masterpiece? It's too early to tell- we will have to wait to see how she functions under full capacity. Sure, there are some odd components of the ship, such as the Eden venue, which doesn't seem too sure of what it wants to be. But Celebrity has mastered the art of open public spaces (we already knew that, given the Solstice class design). Just check out the Edge's tall ceilings and windows in the buffet area. And it's outside garden on the top deck. Wonderful spaces. I love HAL, but HAL seems to favor tighter spaces, lower ceilings, and lengthy corridors over open areas. 

After seeing videos of the Edge, I must say, I'm jealous! I'm currently booked on the Nieuw Statendam, and don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to sail on her. But I have a bit of ship envy now. Too bad Edge's pricing is so high at the moment, which I suspect is the result of much enthusiasm for this new ship. 

I will take HAL

We will not have Edge envy until (if and when) we have actually sailed on the ship.  The pricing will have to be adjusted downward before we bite.

There are so many great, new ships on the seas across various cruise line brands.  They all seem different in their own way.  I doubt whether we will get to all of them.  Our top list includes a HAL, an MSC, a Celebrity (edge), and an Princess ship.   We don't really care about the logo on the funnel.    Hopefully over time we will knock them off as the right offer comes our way.

One thing for certain.  It is so good to have choice and we are taking advantage of that aspect of the cruise environment.

Edited by iancal

It is my personal opinion that HAL needs to embrace its history, tradition and heritage but augment this with modern twitches and additions.

eg. Keep the yumyum man and xylophone dining call, but at the same time, modernize the design of the various lounges and restaurants, keep some dining classics, but innovate with modern dishes as well.

The new show lounges onboard the Pinnacle Class vessels are as innovative as on Edge, but it seems that Celebrity is using the screens more to their full potential. 

Celebrity is counting on a class difference experience, something that I personally loathe while on vacation.  At HAL, Service, choice of restaurants, sun deck, pool etc etc should be same for all, the suite price-increase should be only for the extra space NOT for extra service. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

It is my personal opinion that HAL needs to embrace its history, tradition and heritage but augment this with modern twitches and additions.

eg. Keep the yumyum man and xylophone dining call, but at the same time, modernize the design of the various lounges and restaurants, keep some dining classics, but innovate with modern dishes as well.

The new show lounges onboard the Pinnacle Class vessels are as innovative as on Edge, but it seems that Celebrity is using the screens more to their full potential. 

Celebrity is counting on a class difference experience, something that I personally loathe while on vacation.  At HAL, Service, choice of restaurants, sun deck, pool etc etc should be same for all, the suite price-increase should be only for the extra space NOT for extra service. 

I do agree with you!!!

Denise😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

Celebrity is counting on a class difference experience, something that I personally loathe while on vacation.  

I agree with you.  I think one of the most negative aspects of Edge is the lack of any forward-facing open decks or lounges for other than suite passengers.   It remains to be seen how much they will ruin the beautiful S-class ships when they are Edgified.

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The various Edge videos do make that ship look amazing and one should note she is the first billion dollar ship! 

That's not quite true.  It's Celebrity's first billion dollar ship.  All the Oasis Class ships cost over a billion.  

On 12/27/2018 at 6:33 AM, beachbunny6 said:

One final comment regarding my recent voyage - here is the absolutely AWESOME view from the top level of the Midport Parking Garage in Port Everglades on December 23rd.  I cannot think of a more wonderful view, unless of course, one could get a professional photo of it!  The two newest, magnificent Ladies of the Sea!  It just doesn't get any better than this IMHO!

IMG_0041.thumb.jpg.ad3c86a2edfd8fdcb398f65a4900e4e8.jpg

What a great shot. WOuld love to seen the full ships side profiles :) Both are modern but tastefully done. 

I'm likely in the minority here, but I'm not a fan of the Edge's exterior design. Not sure what it is, maybe a little clunky.. too futuristic, I don't know. :classic_unsure:

The NS just looks sleeker and more elegant to me; which is what HAL consistently brings to the table.  JMHO of course! :classic_smile:

• Like 3

On 12/2/2018 at 2:06 PM, ronbe65 said:

Although I underline it wherever possible that we compare ships, not mythical "HAL" vs "Celebrity", I have to underline another thing: HAL philosophy and ethical values have been far ahead of Celebrity. They are a century ahead now.

Happy cruising!

Can you please explain the HAL philosophy and ethical values that you mention?

On 12/2/2018 at 1:06 PM, ronbe65 said:

Although I underline it wherever possible that we compare ships, not mythical "HAL" vs "Celebrity", I have to underline another thing: HAL philosophy and ethical values have been far ahead of Celebrity. They are a century ahead now.

9 hours ago, Jade13 said:

Can you please explain the HAL philosophy and ethical values that you mention?

Agreed. I would love more explanation of this statement. I know you're not referring to smoking policy. :classic_laugh:

I am also puzzled about HAL "philosophy and ethical values" as it applies to a comparison with Celebrity or other cruise lines.  And for what it is worth (not much) I am a 5 Star Mariner but also Elite Plus (Celebrity) and cruise many other lines.   Unless the comment is referring to HAL cruisers going to bed before sunset we cannot imagine of what they speak :).

Hank

Add me to the growing list of people who would like to know what ronbe65 meant by "philosophy and ethical values" being "a century ahead" of Celebrity....or any line for that matter.  I really hope they respond because right now, that statement makes zero sense to me.  

Looking at the verandah and above categories cruise fares for upcoming Edge sailings, I have to wonder does X think the Edge is a luxury cruise ship? X is not a luxury cruise line by any means as HAL is not one either. For what X wants on the Edge new infinity balconies, one can, for nearly the same price, actually enjoy a cruise on a true luxury line. At least HAL is keeping the upcoming fares on its newest ship the NS competitive in the mainstream cruise market.

Edited by terrydtx

6 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Add me to the growing list of people who would like to know what ronbe65 meant by "philosophy and ethical values" being "a century ahead" of Celebrity....or any line for that matter.  I really hope they respond because right now, that statement makes zero sense to me.  

I can not see how HAL is any less or more ethical than X. The same post makes no sense except to maybe the "HAL defenders above all others" on this forum. I prefer HAL over X but by no means will I defend HAL when it makes no sense, both are good cruise lines that offer a good product that may be better than most of their competitors, but that is also subjective. 

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Looking at the verandah and above categories cruise fares for upcoming Edge sailings, I have to wonder does X think the Edge is a luxury cruise ship? X is not a luxury cruise line by any means as HAL is not one either. For what X wants on the Edge new infinity balconies, one can, for nearly the same price, actually enjoy a cruise on a true luxury line. At least HAL is keeping the upcoming fares on its newest ship the NS competitive in the mainstream cruise market.

You give the cruise companies too much credit when it comes to pricing. No, X does not think Edge is a luxury ship. Demand determines price. The ship is currently selling like hotcakes. Once that wears off, prices will fall. To the same point, HAL is not keeping the fares low on NS. HAL would charge $10,000 per room if it could. Economics is the driving factor here. 

I will jump in again....

I am not sure ANY cruise line, or any vacation company, has any ethical values that are better than any others.

These are large corporations.   They are there to make a PROFIT.   $$$$$$$$

I have read this comment about Disney, and the so-called 'magic'.     Look at the draconian cutbacks and the astronomical prices....   I have heard this comment about Disney...  and the idea that is a friendly 'family' company that cares...    "It is just another corporation....  anyone who thinks that Disney. (or any other) has a soul...  is sadly. mistaken."

We LOVED the Regal Princess.   Amazing and wonderful ship...  Excellent and incredible entertainment / talent....

But, the draconian and disgusting current cutbacks in the food served, and the service offered, causes me to choose to never board a Princess Ship again unless this is remedied.   Interestingly,  not too long ago, I saw a piece on the CEO of CCL.  His history and his vision.    ZERO to do with having any interest in vacation, cruising, pleasing guests, etc....   By his own stated admission...  He is onboard as CEO of CCL to do his job, which is to "turn a profit'.   That and only that...  100%

Well, HAL is part of CCL...  So, after our recent experience with the fake horrid inedible food and bad / nonexistent service on Princess...  That makes me continue to reconsider the future cruise that we have with HAL...  I fear that the very same thing will happen on the N. S. before we sail.

Edited by Wishing on a star

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:12 AM, beachbunny6 said:

I am sailing on the January 20th voyage of Edge and looking forward to it very much.  I am sure that she has some wonderful attributes, too.  She is just different from what HAL Mariners are used to, and that is not necessarily bad, just different.

Darn it … would have loved to hear your review of the Edge compared to the Nieuw Statendam before mid-January - lol - as final payment for our Edge cruise is due then.  The Statendam sailing on the same date and a verandah stateroom is over $2K cheaper than the IV room aboard the Edge …

Ohhhh,  about HAL holding true to its historical vibe while moving forward...

It is so very obvious that this is what they are trying to do....  B.B.Kings and Rock Room....

But, please do not even mention that dinner call chime.

OMG...  That is just very archaic and IMHO is an almost 'Stepford Wives' vibe.

UGGGGGGHHHHHH.

And, about "The Bathrobe People" on HAL....  does that also go back to the time when men retired into their dressing/evening robes.   And women worked in their 'housecoats'.

I see a connotation that is almost offensive.

Bathrobes are just not acceptable public attire any longer.

Maybe when these HAL older demographic cruisers are gone...  this will be rarely seen.

Edited by Wishing on a star

8 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Well, HAL is part of CCL...  So, after our recent experience with the fake horrid inedible food and bad / nonexistent service on Princess...  That makes me continue to reconsider the future cruise that we have with HAL...  I fear that the very same thing will happen on the N. S. before we sail.

Yikes.  If this happens, I could feel forced to skim off the luxury-light market, and "cheap" reposition cruises at that!

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:19 AM, Cruzaholic41 said:

I’m fresh off Edge and all I can say is - wow!  Celebrity was far ahead of HAL with Solstice Class and they just distanced themselves even farther with Edge. 

I’ve also cruised K’dam twice. Nice ship but not on the level of Solstice or Edge. Not even close. Celebrity’s newer ships are stunning. 

Did you stay in a IV stateroom?  How was the dining experience compared to the K'dam, particularly re the buffet?  What did you prefer on the Edge more than HA?  Thanks