Bringing some cookies onboard?

SAmome

"Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard."  I know these are the rules per the website but how sealed?  If I have some homemade cookies want to give to a fellow pax that I won't see until after boarding, is my ziplock and then inside a tupperware "sealed" enough?

5 minutes ago, SAmome said:

"Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard."  I know these are the rules per the website but how sealed?  If I have some homemade cookies want to give to a fellow pax that I won't see until after boarding, is my ziplock and then inside a tupperware "sealed" enough?

No, it means factory sealed.

2 minutes ago, SAmome said:

Ok, is it enforced?  I guess I'm willing to try to smuggle them.

Why do you think the rules don't apply to you?    

Go ahead and "try"  but,  then don't hold up the line arguing  if you are denied.    

Why don't you try and meet the other passenger prior to getting on the ship?    Are you both arriving directly from the airport that morning?    

22 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Why do you think the rules don't apply to you?    

Go ahead and "try"  but,  then don't hold up the line arguing  if you are denied.    

Why don't you try and meet the other passenger prior to getting on the ship?    Are you both arriving directly from the airport that morning?    

Regardless of whether they meet before or after boarding, neither party is allowed to bring the cookies onboard, not sure what any of that has to do with it.

Sorry dem rules are rules - BUT !

Best put them in your carry-on so just in case they are about to be confiscated you can eat as many as

can before boarding -OR- bring enough to bribe the security crew.

Don't take them fresh out of the oven to the ship - the aroma of fresh baked goods maybe the downfall.

Fortunately NCL does not employ "cookie sniffing dogs" to rat you out !

Put on your best little ole lady from Pasadena face smile and distract them from their job.

Really think that the security SWBP (Soda Water Beverage Police) are looking more for the alcohol smugglers

than for the baked goods. You aren't using alcohol in the recipe are you ?

Whatever you do - do not give NCL the recipe - take the fifth no not the bottle !

Think reasonable quantities - do not bring Costco pallets.

In California do not place the cookies in the same carry-on with fruits nuts and the alike.

Now that I have beaten this around the bush - Good Luck - imagine confiscating cookies as contraband REALLY !

Breaking News - NCL confiscates the cookies from the little ole lady from Pasadena !

Of course this stands to reason - NCL never bakes up enough cookies and they are always hard to find - limited

window around 9pm just after show time hidden in the buffet desert specialty counter ! Limited to 1.5 cookie per guest !

Tongue in cheek - boy those cookies were outstanding ! Clean up needed in security aisle two !

Moving along - don't hold the line up - - -

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Regardless of whether they meet before or after boarding, neither party is allowed to bring the cookies onboard, not sure what any of that has to do with it.

IF  they meet the day prior,   those cookies could be consumed.    I'm in no way referring to meeting at boarding and the other person taking them on board,.    And I certainly don't advocate breaking any rules.    Even at the dock,  they could possibility be consumed.  

Ok guys, got it.  I just thought b/c xmas cookies my brother had seen me take pictures of and wanted some, i could bring a few for him.  no fruit or meat and going to him and his kid, not to lure other children or anything.  I've lost interest.  Didn't see how it hurt but ok.  No drugs, sugar cookies in shape of christmas trees and stars.

43 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Mind boggling.  

I thought enforcement was a legit question b/c for years there was a rule on some lines about not bringing water on but no one really cared if brought reasonable amount, 4-6, etc.  Now that has changed, I know it, I do not attempt to bring water.

1 minute ago, SAmome said:

I thought enforcement was a legit question b/c for years there was a rule on some lines about not bringing water on but no one really cared if brought reasonable amount, 4-6, etc.  Now that has changed, I know it, I do not attempt to bring water.

Rule against water is a cruise line rule, rule against food from non-verified source is a USPH requirement.

On an RCCI cruise a few years ago I lost two delicious slabs of pie from a bakery in Portland Maine. They appeared on the scanner and security pulled them out of my bag. I had a choice to eat them there but they were huge and meant for sharing with friends. Live and learn.

5 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

On an RCCI cruise a few years ago I lost two delicious slabs of pie from a bakery in Portland Maine. They appeared on the scanner and security pulled them out of my bag. I had a choice to eat them there but they were huge and meant for sharing with friends. Live and learn.

Sorry about the pies. 

When calling in New England, we have seen people trying to bring lobsters onboard being stopped at security. That was an expensive error. 

10 hours ago, SAmome said:

Ok guys, got it.  I just thought b/c xmas cookies my brother had seen me take pictures of and wanted some, i could bring a few for him.  no fruit or meat and going to him and his kid, not to lure other children or anything.  I've lost interest.  Didn't see how it hurt but ok.  No drugs, sugar cookies in shape of christmas trees and stars.

Seriously ... extrapolate what you want to do to ... 2,500 passengers who want to do this also.   !!!  

If you’re really intent on bringing some homemade cookies onboard I would buy a commercial tin of cookies, dump them out and put in the homemade cookies and then seal the tin in shrink wrap.  If they’re confiscated then so be it.

One thing is for sure, no cookie or dessert on any cruise I’ve been on could hold a candle to homemade or even bakery made.  Desserts are the weak link in the food chain on cruise ships in my opinion.

Sometimes even ship’s security will intentionally let things pass.  On my recent British Isles cruise I bought a gift package at our stop in Kirkwall Scotland that included a fifth of Scotch from the Highland Park Distillery.  When I boarded the ship after our excursion I told security about the scotch and they put the package through the scanner and then gave it back to me and told me not to drink it onboard.  I was shocked to say the least.

Edited by Oakman58
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

If you’re really intent on bringing some homemade cookies onboard I would buy a commercial tin of cookies, dump them out and put in the homemade cookies and then seal the tin in shrink wrap.  If they’re confiscated then so be it.

One thing is for sure, no cookie or dessert on any cruise I’ve been on could hold a candle to homemade or even bakery made.  Desserts are the weak link in the food chain on cruise ships in my opinion.

Good idea! I'd probably just use clear packing tape around the lid to hold it on.  True about the desserts on board.  

I would call and ask if I am allowed to bring some homemade christmas cookies on board...what could a dozen cookies hurt? I understand the no alcohol, soda, water - we all pay extra for that - but cookies? that's just a few cookies that won't get eaten at the buffet...

Call and ask...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, C cruise said:

I would call and ask if I am allowed to bring some homemade christmas cookies on board...what could a dozen cookies hurt? I understand the no alcohol, soda, water - we all pay extra for that - but cookies? that's just a few cookies that won't get eaten at the buffet...

Call and ask...

Why waste time calling?  The will just repeat what is written on the website.   Not allowed.

What I find funny about this whole thread is that I had never paid attention to that particular clause, and usually bring something on board when we board. It might be an opened can of Pringles, or the reminder of a bag of trail mix  or chips, or opened candies, and I have never given it a second thought and no one has ever questioned. Maybe it is because fo the type of goods that I have in my bag. Amazing what you can learn on these boards. .